The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 AM

We are very close to shipping the new Amulet M Phantom and Amulet M PLUS series.
There will be much more information on our website very soon, but here are some of the pertinent features...

-No batteries! Phantom power means that your guitar continuously operates at peak performance without worry of battery failure or need for replacement.

-Lighter! Without a battery, battery bag and with a new, smaller internal cable assembly the Amulet M Phantom adds even less weight to your instrument (the Phantom preamp on its own weighs just 1.4 oz).

-The Amulet M Phantom output is now a professionally balanced low impedance signal capable of driving your music for hundreds of feet without hum or noise problems. Want a longer cable? Plug in any standard mic cable to extend it as needed!

-An internal trimmer allows you to adjust the overall Amulet output level plus or minus 14 dB (in addition to already being able to adjust the balance between Lens transducers), allowing you to precisely match the output of your guitar to your amp or other devices, as well as allowing you to easily match levels between multiple instruments for smooth changes during live performances.

-An internal slide switch allows you to invert the phase of your signal, so you can perfectly match any additional pickups you might use with your instrument in a multi-system setup. This can also be used to help to increase gain before feedback in difficult monitoring situations.

-Sophisticated regulation and protection circuits allow the Amulet M Phantom to be "hot plugged" with phantom power engaged without damage to the preamp.
A special "fade-in" mute circuit creates a pop and thump free power up when the guitar is plugged in.

The Amulet M Phantom can be powered from most mixers and amplifiers with 48 volt phantom power. You can also use a stand-alone external phantom supply, which are readily available for less than $20 (!).
An external phantom supply can even double as an active direct box...you can plug the balanced XLR output directly into any stage box or XLR input. A simple inexpensive adapter can convert the output to a standard balanced or unbalanced 1/4" jack to interface with your conventional amp or pedalboard.

We will also be shipping the Amulet M PLUS systems, which offer the adjustable gain trim and phase inverter switch capabilities for use with standard battery operation.

As an added extra, ANY existing Amulet M system can be upgraded to Phantom or PLUS operation.

For more info, be sure to visit our website and Facebook page in the coming days.

Last edited by TranceAudioInc; 10-19-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Yes sir they will. Early indications (please don't quote me) say this will be a $45-50ish modification. You can mail your endjack preamp to Trance and they'll send it back to you "Phantom'd". It's in the beta-testing stage and I'm happy to say it's great so far. My OM-28V is an early test subject and initial results are very positive. I'll be trying this in the studio and at gigs
  • Through my D-Tar Solstice
  • Direct into my Bose L1
  • Through my Bose T1 Tonematch
  • Direct into my Fishman LoudBox Artist
  • Direct into my friends' band's FOH mixer/PA
  • and later, through a Trance (or similar) phantom power supply

Thanks Maury!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceAudioInc View Post
We are very close to shipping the new Amulet M Phantom and Amulet M PLUS series.
There will be much more information on our website very soon, but here are some of the pertinent features...

-No batteries! Phantom power means that your guitar continuously operates at peak performance without worry of battery failure or need for replacement.

-Lighter! Without a battery, battery bag and with a new, smaller internal cable assembly the Amulet M Phantom adds even less weight to your instrument (the Phantom preamp on its own weighs just 1.4 oz).

-The Amulet M Phantom output is now a professionally balanced low impedance signal capable of driving your music for hundreds of feet without hum or noise problems. Want a longer cable? Plug in any standard mic cable to extend it as needed!

-An internal trimmer allows you to adjust the overall Amulet output level plus or minus 14 dB (in addition to already being able to adjust the balance between Lens transducers), allowing you to precisely match the output of your guitar to your amp or other devices, as well as allowing you to easily match levels between multiple instruments for smooth changes during live performances.

-An internal slide switch allows you to invert the phase of your signal, so you can perfectly match any additional pickups you might use with your instrument in a multi-system setup. This can also be used to help to increase gain before feedback in difficult monitoring situations.

-Sophisticated regulation and protection circuits allow the Amulet M Phantom to be "hot plugged" with phantom power engaged without damage to the preamp.
A special "fade-in" mute circuit creates a pop and thump free power up when the guitar is plugged in.

The Amulet M Phantom can be powered from most mixers and amplifiers with 48 volt phantom power. You can also use a stand-alone external phantom supply, which are readily available for less than $20 (!).
An external phantom supply can even double as an active direct box...you can plug the balanced XLR output directly into any stage box or XLR input. A simple inexpensive adapter can convert the output to a standard balanced or unbalanced 1/4" jack to interface with your conventional amp or pedalboard.

We will also be shipping the Amulet M PLUS systems, which offer the adjustable gain trim and phase inverter switch capabilities for use with standard battery operation.

As an added extra, ANY existing Amulet M system can be upgraded to Phantom or PLUS operation.

For more info, be sure to visit our website and Facebook page in the coming days.
Thanks Gary! Already having two Amulet M-VT systems, I'm especially pleased that my systems will be modifiable to the Amulet M Plus and Amulet Phantom. I'm also considering getting an Amulet Stereo system. Thanks for making all your great Trance Audio products!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

So, as I understand this, I could use the TA Pickup by going straight to my SA220 (which does supply 48v phantom power), or, go out to my RedEye (again no battery) to my SA220?

By my reckoning, this is a HUGE improvement of the Trans Amulet signal chain. I insist on NO batteries in my signal chain and all the weight and battery of the TA inside my beloved guitar has been a deal killer for me.

Thumbs up!

Steve
Old 10-19-2016, 07:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
So, as I understand this, I could use the TA Pickup by going straight to my SA220 (which does supply 48v phantom power), or, go out to my RedEye (again no battery) to my SA220?

By my reckoning, this is a HUGE improvement of the Trans Amulet signal chain. I insist on NO batteries in my signal chain and all the weight and battery of the TA inside my beloved guitar has been a deal killer for me.

Thumbs up!

Steve
You can go straight into the SA220. You can't go straight into the Red Eye because it will not send phantom power to the Trance. You would need a phantom power supply in front of the Red Eye. HTH
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
It makes me curious as I read about these - they seem to be nearly the same design and similar construction as the Dazzo, but the Dazzo is passive. So why would the trance need a preamp? or to say it another way, if you can run the Dazzo's w/o a pre, why not the Trance?
The Dazzo's (as well as K&Ks) are *way* hotter output than the Trance sensors. I tried the Trance Sensors passively thru the Grace Felix, thinking surely, it would just require a bit more gain. Nope. Gary told me it wouldn't work, and he was right (of course :-) ). Different pickups have different output levels. The Trance sensors appear to be exceptionally low output, so they require the Trance preamp.

I like the idea of phantom-powering. Wish more active systems would support that. Tho it kind of messes things up for those of who like dual source systems.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 PM

Since then , I started thinking about all the places I would play to plug in. I believe everything I would ever do would have phantom power. Amp, Bose, Church PA, School PA, sound system at the local open mic. I am pretty sure I can get by if I ever wanted to go that direction. The only drawback is that only one channel on my amp has phantom power. I couldn't run my phantom powered mic and my guitar at the same time through my current Scherlter amp. All in all, I think it's a great idea, especially if there is a matching preamp.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-20-2016, 01:56 AM

You can buy a phantom power box for your Shertler for next to nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 10-20-2016, 06:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
You can buy a phantom power box for your Shertler for next to nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Good point.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-20-2016, 08:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Yes sir they will. Early indications (please don't quote me) say this will be a $45-50ish modification. You can mail your endjack preamp to Trance and they'll send it back to you "Phantom'd". It's in the beta-testing stage and I'm happy to say it's great so far. My OM-28V is an early test subject and initial results are very positive. I'll be trying this in the studio and at gigs
  • Through my D-Tar Solstice
  • Direct into my Bose L1
  • Through my Bose T1 Tonematch
  • Direct into my Fishman LoudBox Artist
  • Direct into my friends' band's FOH mixer/PA
  • and later, through a Trance (or similar) phantom power supply

I retract my mention of the D-Tar Solstice; it only provides 15v Phantom Power so it will not work. #bummer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

For those interested, I'm happy to report that my "Beta" Amulet Phantom sounds great so far through my Bose T1. No audible difference from the original 9V version of my Amulet M ... and that's a good thing.

Thanks again, Gary!
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification