The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
The cable I made is still the worst of the lot. I contend it is because the cable itself is not suited for this application, and the extra length.
Glad you are happy with your new cables mate, but honestly this statement is just plain wrong.

The Mogami cable you posted is absolutely fine for this stereo cable application.

12ft is by no means a long enough cable length to contribute significant signal attenuation to the signal, such as a noticeable drop in volume.

It's a mystery why it happened, without more information, but please don't spread misinformation that may put people off making their own cables.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post
Glad you are happy with your new cables mate, but honestly this statement is just plain wrong.

The Mogami cable you posted is absolutely fine for this stereo cable application.

12ft is by no means a long enough cable length to contribute significant signal attenuation to the signal, such as a noticeable drop in volume.

It's a mystery why it happened, without more information, but please don't spread misinformation that may put people off making their own cables.
That's not mis-information, and it's no mystery what occurred.
That's a factual result of the cable. This particular cable has fibers intertwined in the copper strands. I suspect they are the contributing factor to the loss of signal.

The cable ends are top shelf and my craftsmanship is good enough for ISO9002 aircraft controls, so a simple guitar cable is childs play.

I think there are better choices out there for this application. 26AWG is too small. 24 would be a minimum.

Last edited by chitz; 10-28-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post

Cables have different degrees of capacitance depending on its design. The PU and preamp chitz has is evidently high impedance which may be affected more by the capacitance of the cable which would tend to shunt/reduce higher frequencies of the signal. The Mogami cable likely would be a good pick for use for an application where the source impedance was lower, but not for this particular situation.

"This particular cable has fibers intertwined in the copper strands."
Not sure it would have attributed to signal loss, but might have made soldering a real PIA if it's what I think it is.

If you have the specs for the Mogami cable and the guitar PU output impedance, it might be interesting playing with some numbers in the link.....
http://www.mh-audio.nl/calculate-cable.asp
Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
That's not mis-information, and it's no mystery what occurred.
That's a factual result of the cable. This particular cable has fibers intertwined in the copper strands. I suspect they are the contributing factor to the loss of signal.

The cable ends are top shelf and my craftsmanship is good enough for ISO9002 aircraft controls, so a simple guitar cable is childs play.

I think there are better choices out there for this application. 26AWG is too small. 24 would be a minimum.
Mogami is highly respected cable. I'm betting something in the connector or the soldering.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Mogami is highly respected cable. I'm betting something in the connector or the soldering.
Well, I've ordered some 22awg cable and I'm going to remake it. We shall see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification