The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Artist or Carvin AG200 or AG300

I just started gigging out acoustically as a Singer/Guitarist. I am looking for an amp for both guitar and vocals. After much research I am down to the Fishman Loudbox Artist or the Carvin AG200 or AG300. I plan on playing in clubs, bars, restaurants and maybe a larger venue here and there. Instruments are Godin A6 and a Takamine P1NC both excellent. Please give me your thoughts. Looking to pay between $400.00 and $500.00.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Use the search feature. Tons of stuff written about both. FWIW, I'm very happy with the AG 300. Fishman makes great amps.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 PM

All three are great options with slightly different features. Any of the three will likely get you where you need to be. Will you be solo all the time? Will you need backing tracks, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
All three are great options with slightly different features. Any of the three will likely get you where you need to be. Will you be solo all the time? Will you need backing tracks, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not going to use backing tracks.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyrocker View Post
Not going to use backing tracks.
In that case, no tracks, no bass guitar, stand up bass, etc, then either amp will do. If you needed extra bass response it could push you into the AG300. Resale on the Fishman will be better, should you chose to upgrade to a personal PA. It is also more readily available used. Carvin is a good price point new, with a few extra watts.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM

I just got a AG200 and then came across a Loudbox Mini in a pawn shop for only $130 so I grabbed it also. The Loudbox is 2/3 the size and weight of the Carvin. In my opinion it has a fuller, more focused tone. Ergonomically the Carvin is hard to use- too many tiny knobs crammed onto a small panel on top of the amp where it's difficult to access. The Carvin has more effects but the Mini has effects that are tweaked better for the intended purpose. The Mini is plug and play, the Carvin requires tweaking of the eq and effects.

Can you tell I like the Fishman better?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 AM

Default Carvin for me

For me it's an easy choice, Carvin. I've tried darn near all Fishman amps, to me they all sound boxy, too midrangy that i couldn't dial out. I just received my Carvin AG200 yesterday, and wow. I was able to dial in a really nice tone in a couple minutes, clear, the parametric EQ dialed the minds well, and the lows are ridiculous. My main concern was being able to work with mids(who isn't), but secondly was ability to handle lows. More on the lows, i play alternate tunings, and they are always low, A, B average, and this amp shocked me. The lows you could feel, so i dialed the low down to about 2, and still full/powerful, without overwhelming the others. I also tap, and slap, etc, and this little guy handles it all. The 1/8" input sounds decent, good enough i'd say. The usb charger is genius. I actually am waiting for the AG300 to be delivered this week, my main reason for getting the 300 was the 12" speaker, to handle the lows, also to play backing tracks, i think the AG300 will be the perfect compliment to the 200. I personally think that the Carvins are going to be hard to beat, especially price wise, anything near is significantly more expensive. Just my .01 cent, i'm not at the .02 cent level yet.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:59 AM

I love the Fishman acoustic amps and own a Mini and a Performer. Nothing else compares IMO.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

I really like my Fishman Loudbox Artist, but haven't tried the Carvins. :/
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-20-2016, 11:09 AM

I got to play thru an old Loudbox the other night...Martin D-35>Lyric pickup>Loudbox...sounded great !! If I didn't already have a Fender SFX, I'd consider it. One of the guys I gig with brought it in and let me plugin to it for a short while....I liked the sound I got, very natural.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Ruth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I really like my Fishman Loudbox Artist, but haven't tried the Carvins. :/
I think they are worthy of a try. I realize that some have found their sound, but the other bonus is that the Carvins are 100% made in the US. I have to try the AG300 which arrives tomorrow, but so far i'd have to say, in my opinion, the Carvin AG's will be hard to beat as the total, do it all amp
Old 10-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre' View Post
I think they are worthy of a try. I realize that some have found their sound, but the other bonus is that the Carvins are 100% made in the US. I have to try the AG300 which arrives tomorrow, but so far i'd have to say, in my opinion, the Carvin AG's will be hard to beat as the total, do it all amp
I also have an AG300 arriving tomorrow! Very eager to plug in. Assuming that it's satisfactory, I'm going to get the 300AGE extension cabinet. That should make a nice modular system with the amp for playing at home/goofing around, and the extension cab for more PA-like situations. Please report back on how you like yours.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

I've owned the Fishman Loudbox Mini and Artist, and also the SA220. All were great amps. The Fishman's tend to color the sound but in a good way.

The Carvins are more of a mini PA or half a PA as the case may be. Very transparent and pretty much just amplify what you have going in. Takes a little while to get all the EQ'ing and effects dialed in but worth the effort.

All I play these days is my K&K guitars into my AG200. Nothing else at all. No effects or DI or anything at all. It's the simplest set up I've ever had and it sounds great for both my guitar and my wife's vocals.

But you can't go wrong with either. More bang for the buck with the Carvins. Way more features in direct price-per-feature set comparison.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Loudbox Artist

I'm a frugal buyer. Searched high and low and found a used Fishman Artist at a GC in Fresno online. Looked like it was drug down a gravel road. Paid $230 and it was the best money I've ever spent. Absolutely love it.

I have always admired that Carvin stayed true to being American made. If I needed a bigger acoustic system I believe they would be my next choice. Read all kinds of good things about the AG series here on the forum.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-20-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
I also have an AG300 arriving tomorrow! Very eager to plug in. Assuming that it's satisfactory, I'm going to get the 300AGE extension cabinet. That should make a nice modular system with the amp for playing at home/goofing around, and the extension cab for more PA-like situations. Please report back on how you like yours.
I'm a big fan of my AG300. I just use a cheap Kustom passive 8 ohm speaker cab as my extension and it works great.

For the OP - Fishman Loudbox Artist has fewer inputs, less power, 24 volt phantom (Carvin has 48 volt), two way speaker (Carvin has three), not built to be raised up on a speaker pole (Carvin is), and costs more than the Carvin. The choice for me was pretty easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification