The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankou View Post
From what I hear, violin making has been improving a great deal in recent decades, and it doesn't surprise me too much that they've been able to finally get a bit ahead of the great classic violins.

Same with guitars, I expect.
Aren't pretty much all modern violins very closely based on Stradivarius intruments?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
Aren't pretty much all modern violins very closely based on Stradivarius intruments?
No. That's the equivalent of saying "aren't pretty much all modern guitars very closely based on Martin instruments."

I suppose it comes down to how you define "very closely based".
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I don't think the best instruments of any type necessarily reveal themselves right away. The one thing always missing from these tests is any reference to just how familiar with Stradavari these players actually are. If they weren't extensively familiar with the Stradavarius instruments, I wouldn't doubt their inability to hear or feel a difference.

I could put 5 average drivers behind the wheel of a Veyron, and would not be surprised if all 5 said they preferred their Chevy Impala.
the last time i did a blind driving test of cars, the results were not good.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 PM

How could they possibly tell how good they sounded if there were no soundports in the side?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Many modern instruments are based on either Stradivari or Guarneri. Guarneri tend to (in VERY general terms) be slightly darker than the typical Strad. I have never played a genuine violin of either make, but I have played copies of both, and I tend to prefer the Guarneri copies. I have heard several of each on many occasions and I can easily tell a Strad from a Guarneri, but I am pretty sure I could not tell a very good reproduction from the original.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM

Wink

[QUOTE=mc1;3902448]The soloists played each of the 12 violins during two 75-minute sessions, one in a rehearsal room and another in a concert hall. They wore welder goggles so they would not be able to identify the violins by sight.

That works for me!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM

I dont like the sound of violins, they hurt my ears but I can tell the difference between an average, a bad and an excellent guitar.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
the last time i did a blind driving test of cars, the results were not good.
I nominate this for best joke of this thread... perhaps the best of the year on this forum. Kudos!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
No. There are differences in scale, neck length, and so on. Stradivari still being played nearly all have neck/peghead splices.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Maybe new violinists prefer new violins because in that sound they are used to.Its the same with classical guitarists who prefer new designs (lattice, double top) vs traditional (fan braced) guitars.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
How could they possibly tell how good they sounded if there were no soundports in the side?
I don't think the proud owner of a Stradivarius would mind if a luthier cut a hole into their multimillion dollar instrument. Do you?
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Maybe new violinists prefer new violins because in that sound they are used to.Its the same with classical guitarists who prefer new designs (lattice, double top) vs traditional (fan braced) guitars.
As I said before...it wasn't just the preference. They were unable (in a statistically significant way) to differentiate the violins.

"The violinists were also unable to tell whether an instrument was new or antique by playing it, even though seven of them regularly play antique violins."
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
As I said before...it wasn't just the preference. They were unable (in a statistically significant way) to differentiate the violins.

"The violinists were also unable to tell whether an instrument was new or antique by playing it, even though seven of them regularly play antique violins."
I dont know where exactly we disagree.
Preference is preference and everything is subjective.
I didnt say that guitarists prefer lattice guitars because they are lattice. They prefer them because they like the sound better.
As for differentiating the violins its still subjective.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
I dont know where exactly we disagree.
Preference is preference and everything is subjective.
I didnt say that guitarists prefer lattice guitars because they are lattice. They prefer them because they like the sound better.
The point of the experiment wasn't just to "pick your favorite violin"...it was also "pick which one is the Stradivari."

They failed to identify the Stradivari.

That has nothing to do with the subjectiveness of preference.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
The new violins must be Stradivarius Authentics. ....Mike
LOLOLOLOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments