The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Default Tele kit build control question

my tele kit came with 500K pots and one .047 cap- Stew mac has a wiring kit with 250K pots with a .047 plus a .001 cap- also has the toggle switch but mine is ok, would this give me a richer fuller tone? TIA
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
my tele kit came with 500K pots and one .047 cap- Stew mac has a wiring kit with 250K pots with a .047 plus a .001 cap- also has the toggle switch but mine is ok, would this give me a richer fuller tone? TIA
The short answer is that the 250K pots will bleed off more high frequencies than the 500K, so they sound a little mellower. The .001 cap is used as a cut to very high frequencies that is always "on." The other .047 cap cuts off treble at a lower frequency, so its effect is more noticeable, but it also is made variable by the tone pot.

These are all passive devices--they will add nothing to the output of the pickups. The choice is about how much you choose to cut the highs. You will have a brighter sound with the controls that came with your kit; less so with the StewMac setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair