The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-09-2017, 03:46 PM

A lot of information here. Thank you. Going to be ordering these in a couple of weeks so I can pick them up in the states. I want to get a fret crowning file too, as some of my guitars have rough frets right from the factory.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Does anyone have experience with Ibanez prestige nut file set?https://www.adorama.com/ib4449ac6.html
Old 02-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wood View Post
A lot of information here. Thank you. Going to be ordering these in a couple of weeks so I can pick them up in the states. I want to get a fret crowning file too, as some of my guitars have rough frets right from the factory.
I'm not sure what you mean by "rough frets." I suggest you get an understanding of all the steps in doing fret work before getting tools. A crowning file is not intended for taking any metal off the fret tops, or for smoothing fret surfaces. Its purpose is to narrow the flat on a fret top after the frets have been leveled.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
In my experience, those do not work nearly as well as the thicker files with different edges. The don't cut as well, they fill more easily, and they bind in the slots.
Not for me, they don't ... then again, i like to file the top of the nut low, and profile the back edge before I cut the slots ...I imagine if you cut a deep slot they might bind.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Get these.
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ic_Guitar.html

Don't use the $150 double sided set. Those don't work as well as the gaged files.

Needle files + a fine razor saw for the e and b strings. I did my first 2 with needle files.... While they work - they don't work well and it's really touch and go... It's easy to wreck a nut...

Which reminds me... Be sure you have a spare nut blank around for when you ruin one.
I book marked this, thanks. I too were using the files from the hardware stores, too big, or too wide too fast, some of my nuts aren't as pretty as they used to be, but I haven't gone too deep yet. The ones you linked in look like the right thing to get for that final tweak for perfection my guitars need.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-17-2017, 05:46 PM

I've heard that some people use feeler gauges with good results. Use the gauge nearest to a strings diameter..cut loads of nicks/serrations along one edge of the gauge...and use as file. To widen a slot use a feeler that is a couple of thou wider than the string.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 PM

You can do that... But it's kinda a one use proposition. They dull very quickly.

Also - while feeler gages from 0.0015" to 0.030" are pretty common because they are in automotive feeler gage sets - above that isn't. You will have to custom order them...

On the specialized "fret crowning file". I tried one of those and didn't like it. Some folks really do, though. I prefer a fine cut triangle file to re-cut the crown.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
I prefer a fine cut triangle file to re-cut the crown.
The diamond crowning files, I have two. For finishing, I've use the files with emory paper across the crown.

But the best is a smallish fine triangular jewelers file with one corner smoothed out on the Cratex wheel. Great for mandolin, a little too small for guitar, and nearly worthless on a guitar with stainless frets.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Feeler gauge as nutfile

"You can do that... But it's kinda a one use proposition. They dull very quickly."

I'll say--anyone remember Norman's Nutfiles?
Old 02-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post

I'll say--anyone remember Norman's Nutfiles?
Norman ... an absolute legend in so many ways ...
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM

I lost one of my Ibenez files from a set I'd had for 40 years. I looked online and found a Chinese set from Amazon for $30. I ordered it and found it to be satisfactory. It even had a nice zippered case and a plastic string height gauge. I then found my missing old file, so everything is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair