The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Default Nad

New Amp Day as a result of my stupidity, I blew up my acoustic amp (see my other thread about that), any way, because it looks like toast I decided to plump for a replacement. Being on a pension, means that I was also on a, very, tight budget. After spending hours (make that days) trolling the 'net I came across a Bass Amp and Cabinet for $250AUD which was way cheaper than anything I'd seen for similar spec. (I don't need another practice amp). Anyway I drove 200km to check it out and ended up coming home with it. It has some scratchy pots that, if I can't clean them up, I'd soon be able to replace them anyway. They brought out a Martin acoustic (not sure what model, but is sure played nice) to run the amp through its paces and I was very happy with the sound it produced. I then plugged a Bass into it as it was actually supposed to be a Bass amp, and, yes, it did sound sweet, too. With a bit more experimenting, I'm sure I can dial in a really nice sound.

Now to the AMP: I've not been able to find out much about the thing anywhere. Mr Google ony refers to the adverts for the amp I just bought and a couple of Japanese pages that seem to refer to one that was sold over there at some stage. All I know is that it was an amp made in Japan, probably in the 70s and that it is solid state.

If anyone can find out some more info, I'm all ears.

The brand is ELK - rebadged (I'm guessing for Australia) as a STAGE MASTER
Model - VBA125

From that, I'm guessing that it may be 125W because the Cabinet has no real identifier on it either, other than the STAGE MASTER name and the speaker impedance, 8ohm, BTW.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 AM

Spent the day performing maintenance on amp and guitars. The pots cleaned up nicely and the Maton will sound fantastic through it, when I put another battery in the pre-amp (shop shut before I tried it), that is. I did play my bass through it, and it does sound good. so I'm happy. I'd still like some more info if anyone can find it, though.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:16 PM

I was able to find some info on the web. Seems they are a Japanese Fender copy. Stage master sometimes lists as an Ibanez. The bsas version was called Viking. Either way, they are actually spoken highly of and considered collectibles. Looks like most were made in the 70's. Tube amps.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:50 AM

Thanks for trying Marty. My amp is definitely solid state. I came across the IBANEZ Stage Master, they are a different beastie. This is a piccie of the beastie

Except where it says ELK there is a badge glued over it that says "Stage Master"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification