The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Talking Crate CA30 Guitar Amp

I do not play or sing professionally. However, a number of friends and I get together once a week to "jam" and see who can be the worst singer/player. (Just kidding, some are pretty talented). Anyway, I have an opportunity to purchase a Crate CA30 Guitar Amp for, what I would consider, a reasonable price ($125).

Is this something that would work for a small venue? Any pros or cons? I do not want to invest heavily in sound gear. I play a Martin D-35, Epiphone 12 string, and various other stringed instruments that I have constructed. I also occasionally use a voice harmonizer.

Someone school me, please? Thank you and be kind!

Last edited by pickinbob; 10-24-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I had a Crate CA30 a while back. It is a very good, capable amp. It's pretty loud too. The one thing I didn't like, it had a 1/4" mic input not xlr. But it was a solid good sounding amp.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I had a Crate CA30 a while back. It is a very good, capable amp. It's pretty loud too. The one thing I didn't like, it had a 1/4" mic input not xlr. But it was a solid good sounding amp.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your comments. I did purchase the amp for $110.00 and I think it will work out just fine. If not, I am not out much money. Now, just have to learn to use it.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:07 PM

Owners manual:

http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/ca30dg_om.pdf
Old 10-26-2016, 01:43 AM

The CA30D is the really old one right? I have a CA30DG (Taos) and really like it. Sure, there are far better amps out there but bang-for-the-$$$ this amp works for me. Nice transparent sound but I usually run the EQ flat on it and use a quality preamp and EQ pre to the amp. The amp has worked fine in an amplified quartet where they were plugged into a small mixer and running through a Fender PA I imagine it would be fine in a medium sized room 25-30 people, like at open mics or coffee houses.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 PM

I've had a CA60 for several years. Rock solid and sounds very decent at lower volumes. The chorus sounds great.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 AM

I've had a CA30 for many years now and it's been wonderful
Very reliable and simple-a real workhorse
I'm replacing it with a Loudbox mini just because I'm needing a little more power
& have put the Crate up for sale but it is a great little amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 11-01-2016, 07:19 AM

I have the old "butterscotch" colored one. When I bought it (Guitar Center) there were only 3-4 other acoustic amps on the market, by Fender, Marshall and Roland, I think. This little one sounded the best. I also owned a green Taos as a back up for a while which didn't sound the same at all--the bass seemed really hyped on it, sold it.
I will say The CA30 sounds most solid with my Baggs Anthem pick ups. I now also have two Taylors with ES2 systems and they are way more sensitive, sound a bit honky and tend to feed back quicker through it. Harder to control EQ at higher/band levels, though it's stellar when using solo.
Obviously, if possible, try out the amps your interested in first using your guitar. Each are going to have their own +/- characteristics based on your set up and playing. And high price never means that it's going to sound better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification