The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-30-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Dtar Wavelength Multi problem, please help

I've done quite a few pickup installations over the years and am familiar with solving problems associated with USTs, particulary the sometimes difficult uneven string-to-string balance problem. The install that I'm having a problem with now has perfect string-to-string balance. With the Dtar's 18v preamp, the pickup is very responsive, has a very hot output, and is not quacky at all. All other things being equal, I'm very satisfied with the pickup.

But here is the problem: I'm primarily a fingerpicker, and sometimes a little aggressive. Often in the process of grabbing a chord, my right hand comes down with moderate force on the lower strings (particularly the low E) just in front of the bridge saddle. When that happens I'm hear an explosive, non-musical blast … a combination of rattle and low end bump.

Note: the low E string on this guitar is very close to the 45 degree hole I drilled for the UST to exit the saddle slot. So my first suspicion was that the UST was moving around in that hole. I used a tiny dowel in an attempt to anchor the pickup in the exit hold and stop any movement of the UST, but that did not solve the problem.

Anyone ever experience the same? Any insights are appreciated.

rb
Old 10-30-2016, 06:18 PM

AS USTs go, I've found the Wavelength to be one of the best. Sometimes, though, there seems to be a bit of a problem getting the saddle settled properly in the slot. I recall DTAR co-founder Rick Turner giving advice to use the eraser end of a pencil to push back on the saddle (away from the sound hole, toward the tail end of the guitar). Sometimes, when you do this, you'll hear a little snap as the saddle gets repositioned down further in the slot.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:54 PM

Thanks, Guitaniac. Good suggestion … and Rick Turner is the most knowledgable guy around on these matters, IMHO. I'll give that a try.

Also reminds me of the slight back angle on the bottom of the saddle that manufacturers suggest to offset the forward shift of the saddle caused by the string tension across the saddle. Not sure if I did that on this install. However, I'm reluctant to file the saddle as I noted in my original post, my string to string balance is perfect, so I don't want to mess that up.

So, you still think my problem has something to do with uneven pressure? If so, you probably right. But if pushing the saddle back with the eraser doesn't work. I'm at a loss. At any rate, I appreciate the suggestion.

rb
Old 10-31-2016, 08:33 AM

Default Problem solved, lesson learned

Well, as they say in sports … fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

My problem was simply that the saddle was too loose in the slot. As my hand came down on the strings, the bridge saddle wabbled front to back. I tighted that up with a very thin shim and all is OK.

Lesson: There's a reason install instructions always say the bridge saddle should be tight enough not to fall out.

Note to self (and everyone else doing installs): following UST install instructions to the letter is critical.

rb
Old 10-31-2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks for following up and letting us know what the problem was. Your saddle thickness problem reminds me of an observation which Rick Turner has made concerning the tightness of the saddle in the saddle slot. He's said that the saddle should fit snugly in the slot, but not so tightly that you can't pull it out with your fingers. On the other hand, (as you've already observed) the saddle should fit tightly enough that it won't fall out if you turn the guitar top-side down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification