The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Taylor ES2 problem. Volume knob extremely hard to turn.

Anyone had this problem, and fixed it? Guitar in question is a 214CE deluxe with the ES2 system.

It started off just being a little harder to turn than the bass/treble knobs, just enough to notice it. Then it started "grabbing" in spots. By the end of our set I almost couldn't turn it. It takes considerable force to turn in either direction now, but it still works as it should.

Any advice?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdel10 View Post
Anyone had this problem, and fixed it? Guitar in question is a 214CE deluxe with the ES2 system.

It started off just being a little harder to turn than the bass/treble knobs, just enough to notice it. Then it started "grabbing" in spots. By the end of our set I almost couldn't turn it. It takes considerable force to turn in either direction now, but it still works as it should.

Any advice?
Have you tried placing your fingernails, thumb, index and maybe middle, around the bottom of the knob, resting on the wood of the guitar, and then squeezing them together while pivoting them upward? This may be enough to pry the knob upward a bit and free it to turn easily. You may have a bad potentiometer and Taylor will need to likely replace the whole preamp, hopefully under warranty, which your dealer should be able to do.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-23-2016, 11:41 AM

Our lead guitar player suggested the same thing, I can't get a good enough grip on that little domed knob to pull it up. Don't have fingernails long enough to get under it, would have to break out the tools.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification