The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I don't think it is an either or situation--I'd argue that both were pretty unhealthy.
Everything in life...except war which is unhealthy...has the potential of being unhealthy. The key is to learn to use it in moderation. The Dead, like many stars, were subject to drugs that we never saw on the street. Most of those I hung around in the Bay area during the 60's saw mj, lsd, some white crosses, peyote and that was about it. Most, except the stars, could not afford the designer stuff.

Moderation is the key, but the Dead, like most rich and famous, loose track of things once subjected to the new lifestyle. Hence, they crash and burn.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach bob
check out today's Shoe comic strip .... (10/3/07)

http://macnelly.com/
you'll need to scroll back to Thursday, October 3 . . .
Old 06-25-2021, 05:06 PM

I did plenty of Lsd and mushrooms of all psychedelic kind,never had a bad trip,when I was growing up but the only songs of GD that I really liked were Dark Star from Live Dead and the acoustic Jerry Garcia acoustic stuff on the soundtrack of Zabriskie Point that was the first alternative LP that entered my home when I was six .a excerpt of Dark Star was there too.Been once with a friend in 91 outside a concert somewhere in Ohio ,thousands of Dead Heads there,both amusing and a bit disturbing
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 06-25-2021, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Pretty surprising how many of my fellow acoustic hounds not only "don't get" the Grateful Dead but have a strong dislike of them.

But, in over 50 years of being an ardent Dead fan, one thing I've learned is that you can't talk people into liking them–or talk them out of hating them.

So be it. But, once you get past all the ancillary drug and cultural baggage, you discover a totally unique and constantly shifting blend of folk, bluegrass, rock n roll, blues, jazz,and other American roots music forms–all transmogrified into style and sound unlike that of any other band that's ever played.

Sure, it's messy at times. But it's never the same way twice (or even once). Every night was different.

It was handmade music, not something out of a can.

Forget the annoying fans and scene. Drugs are absolutely not required. Tee up some live shows from 72-73. And see if you can't hear something amazing.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)

Last edited by hamburg325; 06-25-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Wow... serious zombie thread... 14 years.

And, FWIW, I've never "got" people that say they don't "get" the Dead.

Most of them, when I've pressed them, have admitted not ever really having listened to them.

But, honestly, the Dead produced two of the best country blues/Americana albums ever in Working Man's Dead and American Beauty. And even if you're not into the "jam thing" that's not even vaguely all of what the Dead are (though, I do love a lot of the jams).

And yeah, I get it if you tune in in the middle of "Space" and aren't feeling it. But, attributing all to drugs is really just being dismissive. I've never done acid, and I've loved the Dead since I was about 17.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

What Hamburg and warfrat said!
Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 PM

Old 06-25-2021, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I ever got them either. I appreciate their musicianship…but I was either too young when they were big, or too old & into other things when they were basically over.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Wow... serious zombie thread... 14 years.

And, FWIW, I've never "got" people that say they don't "get" the Dead.

Most of them, when I've pressed them, have admitted not ever really having listened to them.

But, honestly, the Dead produced two of the best country blues/Americana albums ever in Working Man's Dead and American Beauty. And even if you're not into the "jam thing" that's not even vaguely all of what the Dead are (though, I do love a lot of the jams).

And yeah, I get it if you tune in in the middle of "Space" and aren't feeling it. But, attributing all to drugs is really just being dismissive. I've never done acid, and I've loved the Dead since I was about 17.
Yeah, I notice the same thing. The conversation usually devolves into diatribes on drug use and cheap jokes based upon some stereotypes that they have in their minds.

I don't use drugs and I am a fan of a lot, not all, of the Deads music. Blues for Allah is an exceptional album as well. I'm not a big fan of shakedown street or much of what followed, save for a handful of songs in the eighties.

They played hundreds of shows a year, not all were gems. More than a few are exceptional. And yes they did *gasp* drugs while performing their music, just as much as the other bands mentioned in this thread. At least they were honest about it.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjay540 View Post
I saw the Dead twice (69-70) in San Diego. both shows were very bad.
I left early at the second one; not in tune with each other, not on the beat. The first was an outdoor show that also had Canned Heat and Santana and a couple other San Fran. bands. I had just gotten back from Viet Nam so I was music starved. What I remember is how bad the Dead were and how good Santana was.
Only Dead songs I liked were Truckin on the LP,Uncle Johns Band on the LP and Touch of Grey. Loved Canned Heat I still watch their Woodstock set. Santana their first LP was one of the best albums I ever bought I think in 1969.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:50 PM

Default I never "got" the Grateful Dead ...

Is this a 6 page thread bashing the greatest band America has ever produced (IMHO), and one of the greatest spreaders of acoustic music to a more widespread audience than perhaps any rock band of the last century? Tough crowd.

Last edited by Ten; 06-26-2021 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 06-26-2021, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

John Mayer’s backing band these days :-) What a switcheroo that was for Mayer and the Dead.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-26-2021, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

I never really enjoyed their music, but then I never really cared for the Stones either. Or Hendrix. Or many others. I was too busy listening to Flatt and Scruggs.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:47 AM

I never "got" endless numbers of finger style players who, for whatever reason, were so often lauded as the second coming of Christ.

I've never heard music which is so boring...
Old 06-26-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Is this a 6 page thread bashing the greatest band America has ever produced (IMHO), and one of the greatest spreaders of acoustic music to a more widespread audience than perhaps any rock band of the last century? Tough crowd. Probably old people.
Disclaimer: I have no opinion of the Dead, good or bad. Never really listened to them. In fact, I don't think I could name a single song or album. I do know a chap who plays in a band which only plays Grateful Dead covers, nothing else. Now there is a narrow niche!
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-26-2021 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion