The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrynx View Post
The confusion is easy to understand, though, and it's of Martin's own making, because 1961 is the year the 0-16NY was introduced. That was the company's first use of the style 16 designation. Who can be blamed for thinking that the 0-16 was part of the completely unrelated "16 Series?"
Oh, okay, I hadn't realized that. So that makes more sense.

Martin is better about their serial numbers and model nomenclature than Gibson is, by a considerable margin, but their alphabet soup of insanely high number of models they've introduced over the past two or three decades has become really difficult to parse.

Thanks, Syrynx, I hadn't thought about the little New Yorker model at all.

Next time I will....

whm
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 PM

Just bought one last Saturday! I would post pictures, but I haven't opened an account on one of the pic sites yet.

It is my first Martin, so my knowledge is limited. I went to Sam Ash and knew I was going to buy a guitar. I had my wife and son with me so I had them give me a blind sound test. I played a D-17, D-28, D-35, HD-28 and HD-16RLSH. I narrowed it down to the D-17, D-35, and HD-16RLSH. I was prepared to go with whatever they picked based on sound, although I was secretly hoping they would pick the 16 and they did! All of the other guitars sounded great, but this one stood out. I totally expected to walk out with one of the Martin legends, and probably will one day, but of those individual guitars on that day, this one just grabbed me!
I love the 1.75 nut. Fits my playing style perfectly. I mostly strum with some finger/flat picking. The tone is woodier than my Taylor, which is a plus. It sounds balanced and I love the look of it!

Last edited by HillbillyCat; 08-04-2015 at 03:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion