The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I went back, the nut is 1-3/4" but the profile listed as Mod V doesn't feel like any of the Mod V I own/have owned...
I agree with this... By comparison to my '98 000-28EC (also Mod-V), the CEO-7's "V" doesn't seem as pronounced. I'm lucky I guess, in that I can get by just fine on most neck profiles; therefore, I find both the 000-28EC and CEO-7 necks very comfortable. But, for two necks that are supposed to be the same, they sure are noticeably different. I think most folks that don't typically like a Mod-V profile, might find the CEO-7's much more appealing...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-03-2015, 12:30 PM

Sounds like a great day out, Rich. What's different for the D-35/50 over a standard D-35?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Careful...they have a way of coming home with you--especially given the great value they are! Have fun!!!
This is what I'm afraid of.

I completely do not need this guitar. Not at all. Especially considering I already have a 000-18GE, with which the CEO-7 has kinship.

If anything, I should be culling.

But ever since I played it, I can't quite shake it.

I really should put the money more towards something I can more honestly justify--another resonator (12 fret steel single cone), a Kopp, a Froggy Bottom custom--but I can't shake this thing.

Y'all just need to stop talking about these please!

drplayer: we have a lot of catching up to do. Been a hectic summer, but I owe you an email. Soon!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieterK View Post
But ever since I played it, I can't quite shake it. I really should put the money more towards something I can more honestly justify--another resonator (12 fret steel single cone), a Kopp, a Froggy Bottom custom--but I can't shake this thing.
Ooooh, that's a bad sign...GAS is an evil seductress! I suspect a NGD will be in your future!

Quote:
drplayer: we have a lot of catching up to do. Been a hectic summer, but I owe you an email. Soon!
I'll look forward to it...always a pleasure catchin' up Pieter. Maybe I can tell you about a Froggy Bottom Custom???

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-03-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
This is what I'm afraid of.

I completely do not need this guitar. Not at all. Especially considering I already have a 000-18GE, with which the CEO-7 has kinship.

If anything, I should be culling.

But ever since I played it, I can't quite shake it.

I really should put the money more towards something I can more honestly justify--another resonator (12 fret steel single cone), a Kopp, a Froggy Bottom custom--but I can't shake this thing.

Y'all just need to stop talking about these please!

Breathe.... and repeate "I completely do not need this guitar. Not at all",,,,"I completely do not need this guitar. Not at all",,,,"I completely do not need this guitar. Not at all"............. and most important of all,,,, make sure to include pictures with your NGD post....

Dave
Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your perspective on these two new Martin guitars.

I also find it odd that Martin does not use a tort-is type pick guard on the D-35. My 1967 Martin D-35 does have a tort-is type pick guard, not something I put on the guitar. It just came that way.

Regarding the nut width, mine is definitely 1 11/16".

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM

Default Cheapie pickguard on CEO-7

Yes, this does let you down somewhat and let's not forget those clunky "retro" tuners about which I was one of the first to complain about on the "UMGF" forum.

Having owned the CEO-7 now for more then a year and a half those minor faults tend to fade away considering how absolutely stunning the guitar is in every other way. I guess Martin needed to make a little compromise in order to bring it in at such a low price point. More then 2,000 and counting speaks for itself.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser View Post
...and let's not forget those clunky "retro" tuners about which I was one of the first to complain about on the "UMGF" forum.
To each their own, but I'm curious...what don't you like about tuners? I personally think they were a great choice for the CEO-7. They fit the overall vibe of the guitar; and functionally, they operate smoothly and hold tune, so what more is a tuner to do?

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
To each their own, but I'm curious...what don't you like about tuners? I personally think they were a great choice for the CEO-7. They fit the overall vibe of the guitar; and functionally, they operate smoothly and hold tune, so what more is a tuner to do?

Possibly this.....

They're made for Stew Mac in China(grover shop?)

I bet the idea of Martin using "Stew Mac" instead of Waverly is the main culprit....but I don't mind them.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Possibly this.....

They're made for Stew Mac in China(grover shop?)

I bet the idea of Martin using "Stew Mac" instead of Waverly is the main culprit....but I don't mind them.
Can you verify for us that the Golden Era tuners are made in China? Just curious.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your perspective on these two new Martin guitars.

I also find it odd that Martin does not use a tort-is type pick guard on the D-35. My 1967 Martin D-35 does have a tort-is type pick guard, not something I put on the guitar. It just came that way.

Regarding the nut width, mine is definitely 1 11/16".

- Glenn
Martin has been IMO "cheap" with many of their pickguards, and not just entry level instruments. And if you're going to use black (which I personally do not like) it can still be a nice beveled piece of decent material, a D-35 is a nice guitar, it deserves a decent pickguard. End of rant.............

Anyway, yes, if I had a need I would have bought the CEO-7, not my guitar size or style preference, but it had a great voice and projection, I was truly pleasantly surprised !~!~!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Default tuner heads from Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Can you verify for us that the Golden Era tuners are made in China? Just curious.
I wrote both Martin and Stew Mac last year. Martin simply replied that they were a Stew Mac product. Stew Mac replied that they were made in China for Stew Mac. My deduction was if made in China, the Grover factory in China probably is the place?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I wrote both Martin and Stew Mac last year. Martin simply replied that they were a Stew Mac product. Stew Mac replied that they were made in China for Stew Mac. My deduction was if made in China, the Grover factory in China probably is the place?
Thanks! I appreciate that information.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-03-2015, 06:17 PM

You need to venture out to the Plano store more often.

Both salesmen there now own the CEO-7. Along with at least 4 or 5 of their customers (including me). I'm pretty sure that the younger guy who works in the acoustic room (he's a working musician, too) has sold most of those CEO-7's by just having his there to show off when they don't have one in stock.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Default CEO-7 Tuners

Quote:
I guess it comes down to your frame of reference. I switched out the Gotoh open backs on my 00-18V for Waverly's so I was used to a "smooth as a gravy sandwich" tuner feel. But, you're right.....they do the job and, as I've mentioned, the guitar's merits vastly outweigh it's deficiencies, especially considering the price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion