The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Guest4562

I bought a guitar at Manny's in the early seventies and it was not a pleasant experience. They wanted to see my money before they would serve me. Like an idiot, I did show it to them and bought the instrument. I should have showed it to them and walked out. Sam Ash was no better, I buy everything on line and have for as long as that's been an option.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Oh my... I didn't know everything had closed up. I've been to the 48th Street shops more times than I can count. I think I played my first Collings there.

One of my buddies got his first guitar at Manny's a lifetime ago... it was always a very special place to him.

Sad story. When I'm there on business, the 48th Street area is very accessible and SOHO is not. Hate to see it go...
Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I bought a guitar at Manny's in the early seventies and it was not a pleasant experience. They wanted to see my money before they would serve me. Like an idiot, I did show it to them and bought the instrument. I should have showed it to them and walked out. Sam Ash was no better, I buy everything on line and have for as long as that's been an option.
You will hear stories like this, sometimes it's the stores fault, sometimes it isn't. Either way, the online option is a good one to have.

BTW, do you buy everything online after trying it locally or do you avoid local guitar shops altogether?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

BTW, do you buy everything online after trying it locally or do you avoid local guitar shops altogether?
I do not go to music stores as a rule. My last guitar purchase was in 2011 and the store contacted me by e-mail as a I was searching for a certain model. It was a bit of a drive but I went and picked it up. Prior guitars I bought used. Strings and other accessories, strictly online.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Well, there's always Guitar Center in Times Square. They're the equal of all the Sam Ash stores that were on 48th St. Well not really, GC is much better, the Ash stores were very tired for a long time. I haven't been the new store on 33rd. rudy's in SOHO will be even better, now that everything is down there.
The Sam Ash on W34th St bet 8th & 9th Aves is half a block from where I work. I pass it twice a day. It lacks some of the old 48th St ambiance but it's a nice well-laid out spacious shop and the folks I've spoken with there seem pleasant. That said, I haven't bought anything there.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion