The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Retro View Post
So, got my hands on one, yeah yeah pretty cool, gave it a strum - LOUD.

But other than the depth, it did not have enough treble for my liking. Might have to do with the setup, as the strings did look high, but I presume it was the factory setup. The thing is, I've played an HD-28V before and what I liked about it was its boomy bass and ringing/sparkling trebles.

The problem with this D-18 was that there was not much treble, it didn't have any brightness to make the guitar sound balanced.

Accordingly I did not leave the store with it.
Well.... the HD-28 is a rosewood guitar. In my limited experience, a rosewood will always sound "sparklier" and more "balanced" than a mahogany, which has more woody growl. It depends on what you prefer, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Personally I like both and ultimately am hoping to be able to own both because they're so different.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM

To my ears, rosewood dreads have a pronounced metallic treble, what I call a "keeeranggg". Braz is the most pronounced, madi next then EIR. Mahogany is much more fundamental tonally without the overtones that rosewood produces. Therefore side by side the d18 may sound a bit plain. Put them in a bluegrass setting and the fundamental D18 will play wonderfully with the rich overtone laden D28.

The exception may be the D18A which is the most rosewood sounding mahogany guitar I've ever played/owned.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I got a chance to play a 2012 D18 yesterday at my LGS. I was very impressed and honestly from across the soundhole, it sounded head and shoulders better than a D18 Marquis (Rosewood/Adi). I would say there was plenty of treble sparkle and brilliance and the D18 sounded nicely balanced. I both played, and then listened as the rep from my shop played them for me. He is quite accomplished and played in the style and ways that I do. I loved how the 2012 D18 projected and sounded rich and balanced. Very impressed.

Just makes me want to hear a D18GE now and then form some conclusions.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-03-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant0086 View Post
Try another D-18 out though. You may find it sounds better than the first one you tried.
Bryant
I agree.. I was amazed by the sound difference from a D18 I returned because I wasn't digging the tone so much as I had become more accustomed to rosewood on a D28. A week later I tried another D18 in a shop that sounded sweet, crisp, clear and sweet to my ears and was said to have been a good one by the Martin Rep who sometimes visited the shop. I bought it.. I'd like to get a rose wood guitar someday too. Some parlour style guitar perhaps.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From 8000 Miles View Post
I agree.. I was amazed by the sound difference from a D18 I returned because I wasn't digging the tone so much as I had become more accustomed to rosewood on a D28. A week later I tried another D18 in a shop that sounded sweet, crisp, clear and sweet to my ears and was said to have been a good one by the Martin Rep who sometimes visited the shop. I bought it.. I'd like to get a rose wood guitar someday too. Some parlour style guitar perhaps.
Considering you responded to a nearly 3 year old thread I'll assume the OP has tried a few other guitars since then. 😳
Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 AM

I bought my 2014 d-18 primarily because I lliked the neck profile. The hog sound will grow on you as play it. I had a hd-28 and loved the sound but hated the neck. So, to me it is compromising what you can afford with what is available. If I can get all the lawyers off my back I may order a custom but until then love what you got. jt
Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 PM

I've been guitar shopping over the past few months. The modern D18 has a wonderful feel in the hand. The neck profile, scale, nut width were all perfect for me. Strummed and flat-picked couldn't fault it - vast, involving sound.

BUT when fingerpicking the perceived volume and treble really fell away - still good but not as zingy as I'd like. I've always had dreads (Takamine, S&P, Yamaha, Taylor 410) so have got used to them but if they are not brighter than average I find they can mud-up more than I'd want on fingerstyle.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 PM

Try different picks. It's amazing what different sounds you can get from different brands and different material picks!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:00 PM

My 2014 D-18 Standard lacks nothing. I suppose it could have a bit more lows, but that isn't what a D-18 is known for, and I'm probably comparing it to my Hummingbird which has a bigger bottom end. They changed the design of the D-18 - was it 2012 or shortly after? You may have gotten a model before the changes? Never the less, I bought my D-18 simply because I wanted one and the store had just gotten one in stock. I took what was available, and didn't bother waiting endlessly for "that magical one". It sounded great the day I bought it and it sounds great as of 30 minutes ago. Good lows, nice midrange, plenty of trebular clarity. I've been buying/selling/trading guitars for decades, and hold the position that every guitar has its own magic. I've played some guitars that wow'ed me more than others, but I've never played any guitar - acoustic or electric - that made me go: "that's it!!! Holt crap let's remortgage the house now!!!". I just don't get look at tone that way I guess.

I used to always hear the myth that Martin guitars sounded dull. But I've yet to hear one that truly sound "dull". Seems to me that would be impossible. If a guitar sounds that dull, maybe it's got some crappy strings on it or it has a structural issue. But a dull Martin? I don't know, but like I said, I haven't played one yet.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM

If rosewood and mahogany guitars sounded the same, there would probably only be a demand for one. The fact that I own several of each (in addition to those made of other tone woods) is a testament to their differences.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM

Who are you folks responding to.........

the OP's last post was in November 2012, you're sure not talking to him...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM

It's pretty common for a thread to start, and have a life of it's own. The topic title still gets people talking even if the OP bows out.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 08-03-2015, 05:49 PM

They're both fantastic guitars .... but if push comes to shove, the D18 is the guitar for me.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbenw View Post
Because guitars from any maker vary, don't pass judgement on a model after having played only one example.
This is exactly my thought (2 pages into the thread). I've recently played a bunch of 28s (Ds, HDs, HD28Vs, one D28A), and as many 18s as I could find -- the D18s are much harder to find. I've been on this mission to replace my 12-fret D18vs and HD28vs because the boomy bass over-run was starting to annoy me. Of the 25+ I played, the (fewer) D18s typically had better mids and trebles, and they were way more consistently playing well (keep in mind they are shop strings, though when I got close to trading/buying I had new strings put on). D18 was easy, for the money probably one of the more balanced dreads out there. 28s I love, but it's harder to find a good one, maybe because they get played too much in shops and always have worn strings (seemed like it with the dozen GC ones I played). In fact, I went with a copy of the 28 for that trade and a real D18. Plenty of highs.

I have to agree that sounds like you're basing an opinion on a single specimen, that's like marrying the first woman you meet that matches your minimum wife requirements. Maybe we don't underwing your expectations for the D18 ... this is probably the most popular Martin in the last few years (here on AGF). Didn't get that way for nothing. The buzz goes out to Authentics, but they buying seems to be more D18.

I would play more D18s if I were in your position. But as I found they are not easy to find. Even three years after their intro.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Who are you folks responding to.........

the OP's last post was in November 2012, you're sure not talking to him...
Whoa! Again? Guilty as charged!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion