The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Default Advise please - 2 soundports, no soundhole

I'm contemplating having a guitar built with 2 soundports placed on the lower bout, one above the heel, the other one below.

Now my dillemma is: given the fact that the body size is jumbo and the top is Adirondack, should I ask the builder not to put a soundhole on the top, so the sound is not overwhelming? Maybe do the soundports bigger (app. 2")?

This will be a guitar that I would really like to use for heavy strummming as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I would recommend asking the builder what they are comfortable with doing, how it will affect the design of their guitar.
Builders known for a "no sound hole/only sound port design" have spent a lot of time studying and working with it and know how to make it work.

In addition, a 2" sound port in one builders guitar can have a different affect than it will in another builders design.
Again, best to work with the builder in question.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 06-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen acoustic guitar with no sound ports or sound holes on the top of the guitar.

Unless it's like an acoustic/electric that's meant to be played 1st and foremost as a live gigging guitar to reduce feedback

I'm not sure how that would sound or if you'd even want to risk doing something like that.

maybe some experienced lutheirs could chime in.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Just to be clear, when you say lower bout, do you mean in the sides of the lower (larger) bout? Or do you mean the more conventional placement in the shoulders of the upper bout.

If you have a particular sound you're trying to achieve, as suggested already, I'd talk to your builder and see how they would build the guitar to get the sound you're after.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
Just to be clear, when you say lower bout, do you mean in the sides of the lower (larger) bout? Or do you mean the more conventional placement in the shoulders of the upper bout.

If you have a particular sound you're trying to achieve, as suggested already, I'd talk to your builder and see how they would build the guitar to get the sound you're after.
Hi Kent,

Thanks for your reply.
My mistake, I actually mean placing the soundports in the shoulders of the upper bout.
The sound effect that I'm looking for is "surround" - based on some feedback I've received that would be possible.

Michael
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Have a look at (and play, if you can) Batson guitars. They have no front soundhole, just a very large side port on the top of the lower bout.

You'll either love or hate the sound, I find it very bassey for my tastes. It's been described as a 'church organ' sound, and I'd agree.

Not my cup of tea, but you may love it. And it would probably be great for strumming.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

If I were you, I'd probably put at least one sound port on the top of the guitar.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have cut dual ports on a few guitars and the effect is quite different than a single side sound port. All of mine have been designed into the guitar [with] a main sound hole in the top. Kurt, is a forum member here who has one so he may chime in.

Here is a picture of his guitar:

Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Here's my very limited experience, and preferences.

I recently got a guitar with a single sound port in the upper bout, and it also has a traditional soundhole. I like it. If you start to lean over the guitar, you hear sound from each source at similar volumes; I prefer when I hear sound primarily from just the port; I don't overly care for the 'stereo' effect.

I played a guitar with a single opening, wrapping from the top and into the side; no other opening. It wasn't for me; it seemed to be too much sound in my face, and the tone didn't seem to be fully developed as it reached me; I thought is sounded better out front than to me as the player.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-07-2010, 02:21 PM

I have never installed a sound port on one of my guitars. I do plan on doing one soon...My understanding of installing one is to allow the player to hear the sound of the guitar...Some builders claim that if you install one you should decrease the size of the sound hole...Personally I would not want the look of a guitar without a sound hole....You would maybe have to install a couple of sound ports ...also the listening audience would not be getting the true sound of the guitar...Larry
Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Mcozma,

I own a guitar by Tony Vines with a traditional soundhole and a single soundport. In addition, I own a guitar by Batson with no soundhole on the top, only one on the side.

Here are some pictures...

The Vine's soundport...

The Batson's only soundhole...

The absence of a soundhole on the top will absolutely work. However, there are a lot of bracing changes that need to be made to accomplish it. I know the Batson brothers have been working on their design for years. Personally, I love mine and will visiting them tomorrow to make a video. So if you'd like to hear a clip of mine i'll have it soon... The sound is very unique. Personally, I like their newer designs better than their older ones. They've really found a way to balance it very well, I think. I love mine and would highly recommend them. If you wanted to pick Grant and Cory's brain i'm sure they'd love to talk and would happily share any info you need.

Hope this helps...

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 PM

I really like the look of the Vines guitar but to me, guitars just don't seem right without a soundhole on the top. Nothing wrong with it at all but I just prefer the traditional look. I have only played one guitar without the soundhole in the top and it sounded amazing, but I just couldn't get used to the look.

I would be interested in hearing the soundclips.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks everybody for your advice - much appreciated!

Danny,

I would love to hear your clip!

Michael
Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I have cut dual ports on a few guitars and the effect is quite different than a single side sound port. All of mine have been designed into the guitar [with] a main sound hole in the top. Kurt, is a forum member here who has one so he may chime in.

Here is a picture of his guitar:

Yep, that's my guitar, and I love and adore it for a great number of reasons (LS redwood being primary). But I also enjoy the dual soundports on the upper bout, which it appears is what you have in mind: one soundport near waist, and one closer to the neck joint. Tim calls it "stereo," and I'm not sure that he's tried it on anyone else's guitar (Tim?).

My sense is that the dual soundports do create a greater envelope of sound than does a single soundport. I'm not sure I'd call it stereo, though. What I'd liken it to is sound panned hard-right and hard-left rather than left in the center of the mix. I'm not sure how significant that is in the grand scheme of things -- I mean, the point is to have your builder create a guitar that sounds gorgeous, first and foremost.

And that's why I'd second (and third, and fourth, and...) the point made by others that you should allow your builder to do what she or he thinks best -- especially as regards a soundhole on the front of the guitar or not (personally, I can't imagine that, but I'm more of a traditionalist, I suppose). But as to soundports: the paired ports that you see in the photo work remarkably well, and I'd certainly endorse that approach. But again, it's small potatoes. I'd be much more concerned about finding a top-notch builder and selecting a mastergrade topwood than whether or not I wanted one or two soundports, or what size they were, or even where they were placed.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
... I'd be much more concerned about finding a top-notch builder and selecting a mastergrade topwood than whether or not I wanted one or two soundports, or what size they were, or even where they were placed.
Agree.
Presence or absence of sound ports is the last thing I'd be concerned about.
It's like building a house.
#1) Choose the builder.
Woods, design, sound ports or not, sound hole or not will follow.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop