The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Default New BTO questions

I've played Martin 6 & 12 (dreadnaught bodies) for years, but really enjoy the action & feel of a 414ce bought a few years ago. Within a few days, I'll order my first BTO, for my 65th birthday. I'd be grateful for advice about the feasibility of the following choices. I do finger-picking (flesh & nails, not finger picks) exclusively, mostly blues & Americana (some children's). Since most of my playing has been on GAs and dreadnaughts, I've chosen a GA redwood body & mahogany neck. I'm used to spruce tops, but I understand cedar is a better choice for bringing out volume & even tonal range from soft picking (which has always been an issue in recording & performances). I have no problem using light-gauge strings to protect the top.

I like the classic (and blues) look of a slothead, but rarely see them on 14-fret necks. Does anyone know of a structural reason not to use a slot head? Any problem with slack or holding the strings with slot machines compared to sealed, lower ratio ones such as Gotohs?

Cost is important, but not crucial. If I need to make changes for sound quality or structural strength, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-28-2010, 09:16 PM

If you like the look, I don't think there's any structural or functional reason to avoid a slothead - BUT a lot of players find string changes to be a headache...
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I've heard that Bachman's a decent enough dude, but Turner's a hack. And the whole Overdrive bit is total hype.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
. . . a lot of players find string changes to be a headache...
Change the strings? Oops. Maybe that's why my fingers look rusty all the time and my amp gain is turned up to 9.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop