The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Banjo selection help

Reading in another thread, I noticed some of you play banjo! Perhaps you wouldn't mind giving a little advice about banjos.

I have always wanted to play the 5-string banjo, but never had the time or money. Many years ago I borrowed one from a friend, but the action was so bad that it hurt to play it! I know that I need a good-sounding playable instrument to enjoy learning and playing banjo!

Well, now I have the time and the means to take another shot at it. I have done a lot of research already, but my budget of around $1K (+/- $200) has me in brands that I know little to nothing about. I understand that I have to audition them, but before I go all over Atlanta and the surrounding area, I would like to get a sense of what brands are worth looking at and what brands I probably shouldn't waste my time playing at all!

These are the brands I am seeing the most in that price range: Recording King, Deering Good Time, Morgan Monroe, Washburn, Gold Tone, Gold Star, and Epiphone.

Any guidance and recommendations would be very appreciated!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-26-2008, 06:25 AM

For that kind of coin, you can be into an "actual" Deering (Boston).

If you've ever played guitar in open G, you'll immediately be familiar with the 5 string banjo.

I took it up about a year ago......and of all the instruments I play (piano, guitar, and mandolin).....the banjo has/had the easiest learning curve. The picking technique can be unnerving...but the fingering isn't bad at all.

Go here to ask your questions......you'll receive alot of answers.......ranging all over the place.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks, LJ. I have already browsed the banjo hangout for info...I am more familiar with AGF, so I thought I would try asking here first.

BTW - I have not yet found a Boston 5 in my budget range...but I'm still looking! They start at a higher price and go up! Same with Gibson (Musician's Friend has one for $xx,000.00! - What could make a banjo cost that much?!!!)

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 07-26-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Thanks, LJ. I have already browsed the banjo hangout for info...I am more familiar with AGF, so I thought I would try asking here first.

BTW - I have not yet found a Boston 5 in my budget range...but I'm still looking! They start at a higher price and go up! Same with Gibson (Musician's Friend has one for $xx,000.00! - What could make a banjo cost that much?!!!)

Contact David at Starr's Guitars and talk to him about a Boston. I *think* you might be surprised.

Tell him Scott from Oklahoma sent you.....mine was right at your budget......and my duo partner bought a Boston Tenor from him yesterday for about the same amount.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 AM

Yeah, you can get a pretty nice banjo for that kind of money (a little more, and you might find a vintage one, open-back at least). Like advice on guitars, just play as many as you can and see which one you like best.

It might help if you have an idea about what kind of music you want to play on it - like bluegrass or old-time/claw hammer. Bluegrass you'll probably want a resonator (a "back" on it), for claw-hammer you might want an open-back model. I have a cheap-ish five string resonator, never wanted to play bluegrass so I just took it off.

Good luck, banjo's a lot of fun. Just a bit to get used to - instead of like guitar where you pluck up on the strings, with banjo you pluck them "down", mostly. Gives it that "plunky" sound.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM

It kind of sounds like you're going the resonator route so in that case a Gold Tone OB 250 would do you well. I'm not all that familiar with other offshore brands but have 5 Gold Tones (I do workshops and camps) and I think they are a great value.

For American brands a used Deering Boston (formerly called Intermediate) is good (I have one as well), it's fairly light and plenty loud but somewhat metallic. Also, deals on used Gibsons come up and a RB 100 would fall in that range.

No matter what the make, setup is extremely important and a huge amount of tone comes from it.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:23 AM

For that kind of money you can probably find a used Gibson RB-250 or a regular Gibson RB. Both fine banjos. If not go with the Recording King...you won't be sorry. I have found though that almost any decent banjo can be set up to sound great. and xxxx should get you a decent banjo
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Bob, did you see this?

The Sierra is a step above the Boston......a sweet price IMHO.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:06 AM

I think your best bet would be to pick one made of wood (spruce top preferred) and with a waist and upper and lower bouts... and 6 strings.

Ed

ps: just tryin' to help (silly grin)

pps: just kidding!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 AM

I've heard from a few old timers that the only way to buy a banjo is to buy an old banjo.

I've also heard a few old timers go on about how martin is the only company that makes a guitar worth playing

I've only played a few banjos (never owned one) but only enjoyed the older ones I've played. the new ones I've played almost sounded plastic and way to bright (mind you they were only $3-$700 banjos). there are two I've grown to love that were owned by friend, both were unlabeled but old old beasts that were handed down to him by an old friend.

sorry for being unhelpful!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

PM sent.....
Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 AM

Thanks to all for your input!

Raggamuffin: PM reply sent! Definitely worth looking at!

Lawn Jockey: Very helpful...the trick now is for me to actually audition one!

Banjohaze: I would love to find a decent used Gibson in my area. Reviews of the Recording King have been very favorable, so it is on my list!

johnZ: Gold Tone added to the short list!

Shawlie and Riverman: Good advice - Yep, I am looking at resonator banjos, and I intend to learn bluegrass picking!

Ed422: I've got some of those and cut off one string, but it just didn't produce the 5-string sound I am looking for!

I am reluctant to buying any instrument without playing it first, especially a banjo. From what I have read over and over again is that the set-up is absolutely critical, and not being very familiar with banjos, I don't have the confidence or desire to mess with one. In my local area, there are no shops that even sell banjos! So, if a used one is going to require a set-up, I will have to send it off, which is just going to add to the cost.

I have scheduled an appointment to try a Recording King, a Deering Boston-5, a Gold Tone and a Morgan Monroe at a dealer 3-hours away (would be shorter if it wasn't Atlanta).

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 AM

I've played banjo and guitar for 40 + years.
Are you looking for a resonator type- Bluegrass- instrument, or are you wanting to play clawhammer on an openback?

All of my experience is with openbacks.

Ther are lots of happy Gold Tone owners around- both with their bluegrass and clawhammer banjos.

If you're getting just one a Gold Tone will fit the bill I am pretty sure based on the ones I have seen and talking to the owners.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments