The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Personally I think you are going to want a soundhole in the front. The soundhole helps the top act as an air pump.

If this is your idea (and not your builders) I would suggest NOT doing it. However if your builder has found some magic with a solid top it might be worth exploring if you like the sound.

Just an observation on the Batson, there is more going on there than just a hole-less front. That tailpiece / bridge set up will also make a noticable difference in the voice of the instrument (and who knows how it is braced). It seems pretty obvious that the engineering on that guitar makes it impossible to give all the credit of the sound to the fact that there is no hole in it.

Last edited by Brock Poling; 06-11-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I totally agree with Jeff and Kurt – choose your builder and then work with her/him. A different builder will have a lot more impact on the guitar than presence or absence of a sound port. And if you respect the builder you should make sure s/he is comfortable with the direction the build takes. If you are in Oakville you are really close to Marc Beneteau – have you thought of visiting or talking with him? I recall that there are a few other custom builders up your way whose work I saw in the 12th fret when I visited that store.

I have two guitars made by a great Californian builder; one without soundport and one with. Yes they sound different, but it is variations on the general sound that this builder achieves, and it is his overall sound that I go for.

I also have a hand-built guitar with large sound hole on the side and none on top. It is a beautiful guitar for looks and sound. It is not "bassy" like someone above suggested about Batsons (I have not played a Batson), but I do know that the sound coming out the side is a little different to the sounds you hear out the front, which can be a bit strange. The top bracing is completely different to a “conventional” guitar. And boy is it loud!

Good luck,
Col
Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
I really like the look of the Vines guitar but to me, guitars just don't seem right without a soundhole on the top. Nothing wrong with it at all but I just prefer the traditional look. I have only played one guitar without the soundhole in the top and it sounded amazing, but I just couldn't get used to the look.

I would be interested in hearing the soundclips.

Here's a video clip from Grant Batsons home the other day. Please note it was recorded with a flip camera... so it sounds like it was recorded with a flip camera... but hopefully it'll give you an idea of the guitars sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnSj...layer_embedded

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Let me see if I've got this correct. You stated, "2 soundports placed on the lower bout, one above the heel, the other one below." Then to clarify you added, "in the shoulders of the upper bout". I interpret that to mean you want them either side of the neck which would direct the sound parallel with the neck. Am I correct? If so, then I agree with the others who have said, you will still need an large sound hole in the top as those two ports will not move enough air on their own. This was one of the first arrangements tried when luthiers (like Grit Laskin) began experimenting with sound ports. It was deemed to be not the most advantages placement. Although most felt it did enhance the sound it didn't do anything for the player.
A single sound port, placed in the side of the upper bout facing the player will do both. It'll enhance the total sound while allowing the player to hear what his audience is hearing. It's been described as, "like having a monitor speaker for the un-plugged".

Josh house is one who has taken this idea to the next level by placing a second port in the lower bout. He refers to this as his stereo port system and I can tell you first hand I like it, a lot!

However, if your idea is to have a non traditional sound hole / port configuration then I maybe the man you need to talk to. I've become a student of non conformity and at present have four guitars with varied hole & port designs.

The first one is rather common place now. It's an Ovation Elite Standard with eleven Adamas holes.

This is Coral, an Andrew White E body with offset sound hole and a oblong sound port.

This is Fast Eddie, An Andrew White F body with crop circle inspired multiple sound holes and an oblong port.

The fourth was my first custom Andrew White. Ruby is a C body with an offset, multi leaf sound port top...

And the sound hole in the side.

What you really need to do is attend the Montreal Guitar Show in July. Look, listen, play and ask lots of questions.
Good luck on the build, what ever you decide.

Ruby: Andrew White custom ordered model C

Coral: Andrew White custom ordered model E

Fast Eddie: Andrew White custom ordered model F

Frieda: Duane Noble custom built Harp Guitar
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks again for all your comments.

Brock - I got it, the guitar will have a soundhole.

Danny - the song is lovely, as is your guitar.

Stephen - I'll go for the "surround sound".

Just in case you would like to know the builder of the Adirondack/Bloodwood super jumbo, he is John Fitzgerald from Downey, California.

I'll start another thread when John starts the build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop