The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM

Also, I agree with weirdone - there are plenty of other archtops I would own if I hit the lottery. I had a great experience at Gruhn one time playing multiple archtops including a 1933 Gibson L-5, a 1987 Benedetto Cremona, a new Tom Bills, a Gibson Super 400 (can't remember the year), and a few amazing flat tops. The Tom Bills was my favorite, and was a sublime instrument. The others were all great as well. My memory plays tricks on me, but off hand, I can't remember any of them sounds THAT much (as in $10,000) better than my Eastman. Do they sound better? I'm sure they do, but not enough to justify the additional price for me and my needs.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I think my next try might be La Bella nickel wounds, which is what Frank Vignola uses. True his guitar is completely different than mine, but I love his tone, so I figure it's as good a place as anywhere to start!

Andy Reiss of the Time Jumpers has an archtop with a set of La Bella's on it.... they're 8 years old!!! and he gigs with it regularly....

Frank Vignola's tone is vastly different depending on what vignola album you're talking about.. He used to play a regular archtop... then a benedetto gypsy guitar... now another maker's instrument.... they're all vastly different in construction and tone...

me
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Which 30's gibson would you recommend? I've found several L-30's, L-48's and even a couple Kalamazoo's. Thoughts on those?

Kindly,
Danny
Danny... the L-48's and L-50's that i've played are great guitars.. but.. they're laminated tops and backs.... so... they have a pretty different sound than the 30's gibsons..

You can find some 30's gibson L-4's on the internet for about the price of a new Eastman... to me... those guitars are archtop guitar's best kept secret....

I LOVE the roundhole L4's...

me
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM

In my opinion, there is nothing greater/cooler/more beautiful than an archtop. They have their own sound and I am always amazed by the skill of their makers. As far as Eastman, I think they do an amazing job. Their archtops are very well built, wood selection is nice, and the prices are amazing for carved solid wood archtops. A friend of mine had a 910 and I thought it acounted for itself nicely compared to my Comins Classic.

So, speaking of archtops, here's my 1997 Comins Classic (never pass up an excuse to show your archtops!)

Jimmy

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdOne View Post
Andy Reiss of the Time Jumpers has an archtop with a set of La Bella's on it.... they're 8 years old!!! and he gigs with it regularly....

Frank Vignola's tone is vastly different depending on what vignola album you're talking about.. He used to play a regular archtop... then a benedetto gypsy guitar... now another maker's instrument.... they're all vastly different in construction and tone...
Wow, 8 years old, that's insane! Yeah, Frank's tone has changed some, but it's always been good! My favorite tone of his is anything with the Benedetto gypsy jazz guitar, or his new Thorell. Both sound amazing. I saw him live at the Sheldon in St. Louis (a concert that was recorded live and became a Mel Bay DVD). It was beyond amazing!

jimmy b - your Comins is beautiful! I bet it sounds sublime!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Wow, 8 years old, that's insane! Yeah, Frank's tone has changed some, but it's always been good! My favorite tone of his is anything with the Benedetto gypsy jazz guitar, or his new Thorell. Both sound amazing. I saw him live at the Sheldon in St. Louis (a concert that was recorded live and became a Mel Bay DVD). It was beyond amazing!

jimmy b - your Comins is beautiful! I bet it sounds sublime!
did you and I discuss Frank's Thorell sometime last year... if so, you were the one who told me about it... and we both agreed that.... well.. the Benedetto was MUCH prettier...

me
Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 PM

It's actually about 10 years now.... they're still on there, and I played the guitar in november of 2008.....

me
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Stroup

A completely different animal. More wild, less refined, but sounds great, built like a tank, and much more affordable than any other solid wood hand carved archtops. Gary's a very nice guy too. I got mine used, and the only things I'd change are the color and the neck- I'd like a slimmer one.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnisher View Post
Stroup

A completely different animal. More wild, less refined, but sounds great, built like a tank, and much more affordable than any other solid wood hand carved archtops. Gary's a very nice guy too. I got mine used, and the only things I'd change are the color and the neck- I'd like a slimmer one.
Thanks for the link. I've never heard of his guitars before. Do you have any sound clips and pictures of yours?

Kindly,
Danny
Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdOne View Post
did you and I discuss Frank's Thorell sometime last year... if so, you were the one who told me about it... and we both agreed that.... well.. the Benedetto was MUCH prettier...
That sounds familiar - and that certainly is something I would say! I love the Benedetto model, it's an absolute beauty. Speaking of, there's one on eBay right now. Too bad I don't have 8 grand lying around!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Bob-Benedet...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
In my opinion, there is nothing greater/cooler/more beautiful than an archtop. They have their own sound and I am always amazed by the skill of their makers. As far as Eastman, I think they do an amazing job. Their archtops are very well built, wood selection is nice, and the prices are amazing for carved solid wood archtops. A friend of mine had a 910 and I thought it acounted for itself nicely compared to my Comins Classic.

So, speaking of archtops, here's my 1997 Comins Classic (never pass up an excuse to show your archtops!)

Jimmy

dude... if that puppy wasn't left handed... i'd be knocking at your door to play that guitar..... that is beautiful....

me
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
That sounds familiar - and that certainly is something I would say! I love the Benedetto model, it's an absolute beauty. Speaking of, there's one on eBay right now. Too bad I don't have 8 grand lying around!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Bob-Benedet...#ht_500wt_1182
I think that's the same one for sale over at Djangobooks.com

i've been drooling over that puppy for a long time now.... they've actually got a vintage selmer too... i just don't have 36 g's...

me
Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 PM

I think I've got some recordings of my Stroup in my Garage Band library, but it'll have to wait for another night. It's a very bright, cutting guitar- I think of it as the Telecaster of my acoustic collection. I've never owned another archtop though, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Speaking of djangobooks.com, I just bought an L.R. Baggs Feedback Master from them (him?) for a great price. It actually shipped direct from Baggs. In any case, a positive buying experience.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnisher View Post
Stroup

This guy is fairly close to me and the pics I could open look good. However the website does not work too well for me. What is the basic price format?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 PM

I have an Eastman Pagelli, 17" archtop. Its great, X braced and has a very full accoustic sound. It has a unique, offset body design that makes it feel like a 16" archtop. Its finished in Eastman's signature classic, (violin) finish, which curly maple binding, pickguard and tailpiece. A real looker. Several Eastmans archtops are X braced, Ive read that Eastman utilized Bob Benedetto's How to Build an Archtop book when designing their archtops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops