The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Good job! To me that sounds much more natural, much more like your Collings would sound in a room.

By the way, I didn't think your original recording was particularly "boomy." I heard more bass, for sure, but I like bass. The amount of bass that you had in that first recording, I thought, made the guitar sound good and not particularly boomy. But "boomy" is one of those words that does not mean the same thing to different people. I like bass, so I imagine that the guitars I have chosen would sound boomy to some other folks.

What's good about your experimentation is that you learn more. Recording has so many layers and there is always something new to learn. I have kind of been a recording nut since I first learned to play 52 years ago. And recording today is so much easier and higher quality than it was 5 decades ago.

Thanks for your update. That was very well done!

- Glenn
Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Good job! To me that sounds much more natural, much more like your Collings would sound in a room.

By the way, I didn't think your original recording was particularly "boomy." I heard more bass, for sure, but I like bass. The amount of bass that you had in that first recording, I thought, made the guitar sound good and not particularly boomy. But "boomy" is one of those words that does not mean the same thing to different people. I like bass, so I imagine that the guitars I have chosen would sound boomy to some other folks.

What's good about your experimentation is that you learn more. Recording has so many layers and there is always something new to learn. I have kind of been a recording nut since I first learned to play 52 years ago. And recording today is so much easier and higher quality than it was 5 decades ago.

Thanks for your update. That was very well done!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Nice music. You are getting good tone out of that guitar and mic too. Well done.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
Nice music. You are getting good tone out of that guitar and mic too. Well done.
Thanks!

It's been a fun learning process so far. After some advice and help from dmoss, I've been playing around with the EQ in Cubasis to address excessive low end frequencies. I tend to favor darker, warmer tones (as opposed to brighter, brassier ones) but I am finding some room to remove some. I went ahead and applied a 100hz rolloff to the second tune and re-uploaded it and an happy with the results.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a dedicated mic preamp to my setup for warming up the tone but also finding one that has the ability for a low end roll off... considering the universal audio solo 610.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howthewestwas1 View Post
Thanks!

It's been a fun learning process so far. After some advice and help from dmoss, I've been playing around with the EQ in Cubasis to address excessive low end frequencies. I tend to favor darker, warmer tones (as opposed to brighter, brassier ones) but I am finding some room to remove some. I went ahead and applied a 100hz rolloff to the second tune and re-uploaded it and an happy with the results.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a dedicated mic preamp to my setup for warming up the tone but also finding one that has the ability for a low end roll off... considering the universal audio solo 610.
One thought if you are considering adding a mic pre of that quality you should perhaps consider a 2 channel pre. Yes it will cost somewhere between 1/2 again to twice as much ,for the same quality in 2 channels . But what generally happens in the natural progression of recording, is once you start to get closer to getting the tone you are after, at some point you will begin to notice that the next goal will be more width/space to the sound. Even if it requires waiting longer to save the extra funds for a 2 channel pre. The time can be spent experimenting with mic placement software EQ reverb etc that are bundled with you DAW and in the long run you would be more future proofing your set up .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-24-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:24 AM

Thanks for posting the really nice demo's of the TLM-102. You inspired me to test out my mics and got me started looking at TLM 102's to add to my mic collection. Although I can get pretty good recordings with what I have, adding a Neumann to my collection would be awesome, and give me more options.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 07-25-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:

just make sure that your interface will allow for a pre to go through, without having to engage its own mic pres. most don't.

and if that's the route you want to go, look into something like the grace audio 101. it's a really nice mic pre. the real benefit (to you, and that mic) is that a good mic pre will have lots of gain, thereby letting you move that 102 back; which will help you tame the low end rumble. much more so than adding a rolloff to an inferior interface.

go audition good mic pres in your area. it'll open your mind's ears.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
just make sure that your interface will allow for a pre to go through, without having to engage its own mic pres. most don't.

and if that's the route you want to go, look into something like the grace audio 101. it's a really nice mic pre. the real benefit (to you, and that mic) is that a good mic pre will have lots of gain, thereby letting you move that 102 back; which will help you tame the low end rumble. much more so than adding a rolloff to an inferior interface.

go audition good mic pres in your area. it'll open your mind's ears.
I am looking into this as well. Any idea if the presonus audiobox itwo can do this? Or do you know of any interfaces that have this capability? Thanks!

Edit: in reading the manual for the presonus audiobox itwo, the device will accept lone level input via a 1/4" TRS cable. It appears that the gain control only applies to mic or instrument level inputs, not line level, which makes sense because the objective is to get signal to line level via the pre. This would suggest that if I connect an external preamp to the audiobox via a line level connection I would be bypassing the audiobox pre, correct?

Last edited by howthewestwas1; 07-25-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 AM

After hearing your recording "Heights", I liked the sound so much I decided to go on a quest to get my own TLM 102 mic. It had the warmth and sound I really liked. So anyhow I ended up buying a used, but like new, TLM 102 off of eBay. I should have it Friday or Saturday. Thank you so much for posting these sound samples and bringing our attention to this great sounding mic.

Ill be thrilled to actually have a Neumann mic in my home studio !!!!!

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm using a pair of Speck 5.0 preamps; they are single channel, have an adjustable high pass filter, and the output is switchable as balanced solid state or transformer. Speck often sells their demo units directly and there is one on eBay now.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 07-26-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Just an update - I have acquired a focusrite scarlett 18i8 (notable for dedicated line level inputs with minimal signal path throuh an otherwise transparent preamp) and universal audio solo 610 tube preamp. I also have a Neumann shock mount arriving shortly.

Stay tuned for some (hopefully) improved recordings

If I end up liking the solo 610, I can always add on additional units for additional mics.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just an update - I have acquired a focusrite scarlett 18i8 (notable for dedicated line level inputs with minimal signal path throuh an otherwise transparent preamp) and universal audio solo 610 tube preamp. I also have a Neumann shock mount arriving shortly.

Stay tuned for some (hopefully) improved recordings

If I end up liking the solo 610, I can always add on additional units for additional mics.
Congrats on the new gear. You might want to use the line inputs on the rear panel of the 18i8; the specs are quite a bit better than the line inputs on the front panel. (edit) Never mind about my comment on the line in specs, it looks like they've made improvements on the latest generation of Scarletts and there is no difference.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 07-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Congrats on the new gear. You might want to use the line inputs on the rear panel of the 18i8; the specs are quite a bit better than the line inputs on the front panel.
Yep! Those are the ones I will be using
Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Another big thank you goes out to you. You mentioned the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and I checked into it. I looked at a couple other usb interfaces but none appealed to me like the Focusrite one did. I did some due diligence and found there are two models out, 1st generation and 2nd generation with a few improvements. I was able to find a 1st generation barely used one for a reasonable price on eBay. I decided this was just what I needed as I want more than the two inputs I currently have. I really need 3 or 4 mic inputs and two line inputs for my needs. After looking at the other models, the 18i8 became a no brainer for me. So I bought it. It just has so many nice features about it. It'll be here next week.

I won't be getting the solo 610, it's just way out of my budget at this time.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Re-recorded the first song ("Mint") with the new setup and am quite pleased. Mic around 16" from 12th fret angled toward right hand. Raw track with nothing done in post:
Neumann TLM102 --> Universal Audio Solo 610 (Lo-Cut) --> Focusrite 18i8

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD