The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 PM

Default Fender Strats - Standard Vs. Deluxe

Here's a couple of links to the subject Strats at Sweetwater. The first link is the $600 Standard and the second is the $800 Deluxe.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratSTRBSB

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratDSR2CS

From what I can see, the Deluxe has locking tuners, noiseless pickups, and a different wood for the body. Am I missing anything else? Do you think the Deluxe is worth the $200 difference?

(I think the Standard is MIM, not sure about the Deluxe).
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Here's a couple of links to the subject Strats at Sweetwater. The first link is the $600 Standard and the second is the $800 Deluxe.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratSTRBSB

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratDSR2CS

From what I can see, the Deluxe has locking tuners, noiseless pickups, and a different wood for the body. Am I missing anything else? Do you think the Deluxe is worth the $200 difference?

(I think the Standard is MIM, not sure about the Deluxe).

Well, I even went to the Fender site thinking it would help, but failed to find a clear answer. My experience has been that if it does not specifically say "American" in the title it isn't, but I can't guarantee that this is true.

Whether it's worth the extra coin is really matter of preference. I personally don't like the noiseless pickups too much, can take or leave locking tuners, and don't have a sufficiently sophisticated ear to be able to distinguish between Alder and Ash, so I wouldn't pay $200 extra. That doesn't mean you'd be wrong to do so, just that I wouldn't.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM

Thanks for taking the time, Paleo, and for your opinion.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Deluxe apparently comes with a "deluxe gig bag" (I HATE gig bags).
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

They are both MIM. Paleo is right they would say American in the name if they were MIA. You'd also have a "1," in front of the price if they were.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 AM

The Deluxe has a small push button which allows you to get the bridge-neck combo. It also has a flatter fretboard radius, while the standard has a more vintage radius...

For me I would grab one of the models with a humbucker either in the bridge or in the bridge and neck positions. But that would also be because I already have a regular strat.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

"the bridge-neck combo" and all three! Glad to see they dropped the gold hardware.

I went to Fender's website to check out new stuff. I see they put the noiseless pickups in the Deluxe Roadhouse. Not saying the noiseless are bad, but those Texas specials (I think that's what they were called) were pretty nice with those electronics.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 AM

I used to have one of the early Deluxe strats with the gold hardware, in the transparent crimson red. Nice guitar, but I traded it off for the latest big thing at the time!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Mexican serial numbers start with MX

The deluxe looks tempting...
Old 07-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

As already noted, both of these are Mexican (which isn't a knock). I would guess you would prefer (if blindfolded) a used Road Worn Strat over either, and they are also Mexican but just feel fantastic in the hands.

I never, ever buy electrics new unless I play them first in a store, which almost never happens anymore. Buy used, and chances are you get all your money back (less shipping) if you put it on reverb or the 'Bay. But as far as reasonably priced awesome Strats go, I would get a used Roadworn from Reverb, and look for one that maybe had upgraded pickups. But even stock they are fine instruments and well worth the money (and they look cool lol).
Old 07-29-2016, 10:16 AM

One thing to consider with MIM Strats is the bridge spacing is slightly narrower than an American Strat, 2-1/8" to 2-3/16"... I don't find it matters too much since I almost always use a pick playing electric, but it may be a bit tight for some who use fingers and don't use their nails.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM

It's all about the bridges on these two for me. Vintage vs. two point floating on the deluxe. That's why the deluxe has those tuners.

So really the question is Jimi, vs Jeff beck tremolo usage For me it's a no brainer. vintage all the way, set up flush to the body, with pretty heavy string tension. YMMV if you like to wiggle the bar both directions.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
YMMV
??????????
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 07-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
??????????
Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:38 PM

For the price of the MIM Deluxe, you're easily able to get a used American Standard and perhaps higher, both of which will come with a hard case. I really like the recent American Standards, especially the Custom Shop Fat 50s pickups. To my ear, these are the most quintessential stock Strat pickups I've heard. I'm not a huge fan of the modern C neck--I would prefer something slightly more substantial--but it's not an issue for me.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 07-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
It also has a flatter fretboard radius, while the standard has a more vintage radius...
Well, that's deceptive. The original fretboard radius on Stratocasters -- at least until 1987 or so -- was the same as it was on Telecasters of that period: 7.25 inches. Once Stevie Ray Vaughan came along, he (and his wannabes) did a lot of string bending. Stevie had his fretboard carved so it described a flatter 9.5 inch radius, which is the same as today's "Standard." The fretboard radius of the "Deluxe" is an even flatter 12 inches.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars