The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Default help with mic choice

Hi folks,
Sorry for another post on mics, but I need some good advice on a mic choice based on the following info. I recently played a couple of fingerstyle guitar gigs at the Charles Schulz Museum with my SM 57 and got a little feedback when turning it up loud enough. I have got a couple more gigs there, so I need some refinement and can afford up to $250.

It is a medium sized hall with lots of tile and fairly good acoustics. I liked the sound of the SM57; good enough tone and not to fussy with positioning. What I am looking for is a mic that will handle the feedback a little better and perhaps produce a bit better sound. I sit down and am not moving around much, play steel stings, mostly OM's.

I do not care whether it is condenser or dynamic, as long as I can get a tad more volume without feedback and perhaps better all around sound. I do not have the time to fuss around trying to find the right installed system; been there, done that, did not like it much. Next time, I might try the K&K, no time for that now. I tried the Anthem and just did not like it on my guitar. Thanks in advance,
Will
Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Hey Will, I'd be interested in what you didn't like about the Anthem.

Aloha Chris usually has good advice for external mics.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM

It may be as simple as EQ'ing down some of the low frequencies at the venue (if you have access to do that). If you don't, you can try the EV N/D967 as it has a tighter pattern than the SM57.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsing View Post
It is a medium sized hall with lots of tile and fairly good acoustics. I liked the sound of the SM57; good enough tone and not to fussy with positioning. What I am looking for is a mic that will handle the feedback a little better and perhaps produce a bit better sound. ....
I like the SM57a Beta lot. I think it's quite a bit hotter and clearer sounding than the regular 57. Very good side rejection. There's also any number of great condensers, but it depends on what's going around you on stage. When I have drums for instance the condenser is much more likely to pick up too much... a condenser is more feedback prone in general, so it really depends on the gig. If it's silent concert audience it's probably going to be pretty easy, if you need to louder it gets harder...
Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 AM

The 57 is a cardioid dynamic, the Beta 57 is a super-cardioid and the advantage to that is that you get higher gain before feedback. The pattern is also tighter, meaning that it picks up what's in front and not behind or to the sides. Not knowing where the feedback is coming from, a Beta may or may not help the situation but if you're in music for the long haul, getting a Beta57 can't ever be a bad idea.

This is from Shure's website:

The Shure Beta 57A® is a high output supercardioid dynamic microphone designed for professional sound reinforcement and project studio recording. It maintains a true supercardioid pattern throughout its frequency range. This insures high gain-before-feedback, maximum isolation from other sound sources, and minimum off–axis tone coloration.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post
The 57 is a cardioid dynamic, the Beta 57 is a super-cardioid and the advantage to that is that you get higher gain before feedback. The pattern is also tighter, meaning that it picks up what's in front and not behind or to the sides. Not knowing where the feedback is coming from, a Beta may or may not help the situation but if you're in music for the long haul, getting a Beta57 can't ever be a bad idea.

This is from Shure's website:

The Shure Beta 57A® is a high output supercardioid dynamic microphone designed for professional sound reinforcement and project studio recording. It maintains a true supercardioid pattern throughout its frequency range. This insures high gain-before-feedback, maximum isolation from other sound sources, and minimum off–axis tone coloration.
Thanks everyone for chiming in with the helpful ideas. I like the idea of the Beta 57A and the EV with tighter patterns. Mostly the feedback I was getting was from the monitor, so the tighter pattern should reject that. My only concern is that if I move an inch or two, will the sound change drastically?
Thanks,
Will
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM

I just pulled the trigger on an EV N/D967. I also saw that Aloha Chris and others recommended it as well for more gain less feedback pain. I am sure that the Shure is a good choice too.
thanks again!
Will

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification