The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2004, 03:47 PM

Cool Custom W65 - I called Taylor

I called Taylor today to see the possibility of having a W65 custom made to the original specs. They said there would be no problem. The only difference will be is that I'm going to have the new 900 series inlays on it instead of the old ones.

Two questions:

a) Does anyone know of a dealer that is small enough to give me better customer service rather than the big chains that I have so far dealt with?

b) How long from start to finish, does it take Taylor to build a custom guitar?

many thanks!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:59 PM

There is at least a 45 day wait before they start on any special or custom order. Then a week or two to build it. Figure on two months unless they get it wrong the first time. If that happens you will have to wait another two months (don't ask me how I know this)

ken
Yamaha SBG500
Old 03-11-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Dealer

I'm sure there are a lot of dealers closer to you than mine but I'm going to recommend him anyway. I bought two 914 LTD's from him a few months ago, an L1 and an L2. His name is Al. You can find him at MusicLandUSA. Don't let this scare you, but they are in Lindenhurst, New York, on Long Island. They have a great relationship with Taylor. My two guitars arrived two weeks before the promised date, just a little over a month after I ordered them. They were not custom, so to speak, but one did have certain different specifications. Yours may take longer, but I highly recommend that you talk to Al. I could not find a better price anywhere and the price was GOOD! He's also a heck of a nice guy. Just a suggestion: when you do find THE dealer, have them ship your guitar next day delivery overnight UPS. Mine made it from New York in a little over twelve hours. No bouncing around in a hot (or cold) truck for four or five days. Good luck. Call Al and tell him Alton from Texas sent you.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488
Old 03-11-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Dealer

Quote:
Originally posted by tac5
I'm sure there are a lot of dealers closer to you than mine but I'm going to recommend him anyway. I bought two 914 LTD's from him a few months ago, an L1 and an L2. His name is Al. You can find him at MusicLandUSA. Don't let this scare you, but they are in Lindenhurst, New York, on Long Island. They have a great relationship with Taylor. My two guitars arrived two weeks before the promised date, just a little over a month after I ordered them. They were not custom, so to speak, but one did have certain different specifications. Yours may take longer, but I highly recommend that you talk to Al. I could not find a better price anywhere and the price was GOOD! He's also a heck of a nice guy. Just a suggestion: when you do find THE dealer, have them ship your guitar next day delivery overnight UPS. Mine made it from New York in a little over twelve hours. No bouncing around in a hot (or cold) truck for four or five days. Good luck. Call Al and tell him Alton from Texas sent you.
Thanks for the info. I will look him up. Although my location says Montana...I'm not there yet. Will bemoving later in the year. Actually, I'm living in Upstate New York right now. So I will give the guy a call.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:07 PM
guitar curmudgeon

I also bought my guitar there in January. They were absolutely great to work with. I went to the store myself and worked with a different salesperson, but I have since dealt with Al at a Taylor workshop they held there with Artie Traum, and I have spoken with him on the phone. They happen to be one of the largest Taylor dealers around, and they are serious about customer service. You won't go wrong.

They say that life is strange, .... but compared to what? - S.F.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:59 PM

Default creeto

I'm glad to hear about your experience with MusicLandUSA. From the first time I talked to them they made me feel like I was their only customer. Great communication; they answered all my questions and placed my orders promptly. Al is a real standup guy. I'm glad there are other great employees there as well. After my guitars were delivered (two different times) Al called that day to make sure that I was happy, and to say that he would be available anytime for any customer service. My next guitar will be ordered through Al at MusicLandUSA. And both my Taylors are extraordinarily beautiful in workmanship and tone.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion