The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 02:47 PM

I'm not sure I'm ready to sell off all my electrics and gear, but about 2 years ago I decided I was fed up with hauling all the gear, set up/tear down of playing with a full band. Wasn't enjoying it anymore. Since then I'm 100% acoustic. Mostly duo with a percussionist. Picked up a Bose L1C and a Behringer XR16 and everything could fit in the passenger seat .
More $$, less setup. Doubt I'll go back to full band unless it's big production and I can just plug and play
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

For the past few years, I've been all acoustic, and have accumulated more acoustic guitars than I ever fathomed I would when I was playing the electrics (7 acoustics vs three electrics).

I also have some killer amps that really need to be played.

But I think that when we make the retirement move, I'll sell off all but one of the electrics (a 1969 Stratocaster that bought new in 1971), and keep one amp (a tweed Deluxe clone I built). I'll probably keep my tube reverb unit I built as well.

Also probably need to unload a couple or three of the acoustics.

D

Last edited by dhodgeh; 08-13-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:36 AM

I'm pretty much a convert. For over 20 years I was 90% electric. However, I always loved the sound of acoustic fingerstyle. Last 10 years has been 90% acoustic. I still practice on the electric some.... mostly acoustic stuff, when I want to take it easy on my fingers or play quietly.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM

I don't know if I'll ever completely quit electric guitar and bass guitar. I'm spending most of my time these days on acoustic since there isn't much going on with local bands.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Yes now a convert except for the Yamaha SLG 200s that I love but I do use a acoustic amp for sound reinforcement
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Like a boat, selling my electrics was the 2nd best day after buying them. There was a brief time in history when I succumbed to The Byrds sound and could not get passed the obsession to be in possession of a 360-12 Rick. So, I bought one in jet-glo, diligently learned their version of Pete Seeger's For Every Thing (Turn, Turn, Turn), and never played it again. Something similar happened with a Tele and a Strat. Closet queens, I sold them all off and never looked back. I was an acoustic player before them, though, so I never viewed electric guitar's with a respectful eye.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting topic. Actually, I never got on board with electrics, although I love to watch other accomplished players do their thang on electric.

I played acoustic exclusively at least twenty years before I tried my first electric, a Strat. I was shocked that I could not feel the vibration of the strings on my belly through the guitar, and never ventured further.

sm
Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 AM

I've always had both, but most of my years have leaned more electric. The past few years I'm playing acoustic more.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:39 AM

Started on acoustic strumming & riffing Louie Louie, Day Tripper, Wild Thing, HoTRS, Hey Jude, etc. I very quickly bought a cheap electric guitar/amp combo with paper route money, thought I was hot stuff with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and proceeded to spend most of my guitar life buying and playing Gibson and Fender electrics through tube amps.
When I finally added a decent acoustic, I didn't know how addictive it would be and it's almost like I never looked back. I still have most of my electrics from over the years, and I did restring an old Gibson for a band reunion gig a few months back, and I still have a somewhat nagging urge to do an electric project again - but for all intents and purposes, I'm converted.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a convert, but Congrats(!) on evolving to the acoustic world.

If you think you are in love NOW, just wait 'til you play .....(insert next instrument here)

.... just kidding!

Last edited by brancher; 08-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Really cut my baby teeth with an acoustic and then in 7th and 8th grade played my 30$ acoustic at recess and lunch until the nuns proclaimed during a 3 class monthly assembly "There will be no more guitar playing at recess or lunch".

I got into keyboards (thankfully) at 15 in bands and such. Learning that form of theory greatly aided my future fretboard knowledge and more importantly being a percussive, off the beat instrument, informed a nice right hand pocket swing.

I still played acoustic during high school but being in rock garage bands I picked up band mates rigs and enjoyed the straight to the nervous system electric stuff.

I won't bore you remaining readers with the next 40 years of acoustic electric division because I love both. Currently I have 16 guitars - half and half. But the last 4 or 5 years has been favored for the awesome tone and disciplined song structure that only an acoustic can give.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:16 PM

I've always played acoustic guitars. I bought a Telecaster years ago. It's around here ... somewhere.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 PM

I've been mostly an electric player with a little dabbling into acoustic. I have far more electric guitars (hollows, semi-hollows, and solid bodies) than I have acoustics.

While traveling in our motorhome this summer I brought along one of my Custom Teles.

Then, part way across the country, I decided I wanted an acoustic with me, but we were too far from home to retrieve my OM28V.

So I ordered an Eastman E10-OO Solid Flame Mahogany from Ted. Received it while in Texas. Totally fell in love with the guitar, right from the get go. It has been such a joy to play and has given me the motivation to begin working on my finger style playing in earnest.

And now another acoustic, a RainSong OM Shorty is inbound from Ted as well, bringing my acoustics up to three in number.

I can't say that I'm totally converted over to acoustic, just that I have a strong emphasis on acoustic at present, and I'm really loving it. . No doubt I will continue to play my electrics, but I don't think my finger style interest with the acoustics is going to be going away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion