The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Screaming Yellow Zonkers,

Tony
They still make those? Haven't heard that name for decades!
Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Did they control for salty foods? Did they control for unhealthy lifestyle? Where is the double blind in this study? Did they just go on self report of illegal drug use? Where is the control group?

This is junk science posing as scholarly work.
Agenda driven junk science. They didn't want the truth, they just wanted to tell us what to believe.

Adamas 1581, 1587, 1881, SMT

Heil PR-35 : Audio Technica AE-6100, ATM5R : Beyer TG-V90r : Sennheiser 441, 609, 845, 906 : Telefunken M81 : ElectroVoice ND767

JBL Eon One, Bose L1 Model II, QSC K12
Old 08-13-2017, 06:18 AM

The escape of drug and alcohol use is a mark of disappointing behavior people seem to happily bring upon themselves and yet, unrepentantly and without knowledge otherwise, make a claim for some good in it. How is that a conduct that can be logically defended? It isn't. It's imagination once again culling the species to those with, and those without common sense, and both sides claiming the latter.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Livin' in 4/4 time

Thumbs up

Smoking ANYTHING for long periods will destroy you internally....
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
.. for the record hypertension is a very easily controlled condition....just ask your doctor...but you do have to remember to take your meds....
Very easy if you don't mind having motion sickness and dizziness every day of your life when you use b.p. meds.
2014 Collings OM 2 HG
2015 Breedlove Oregon Concert CE 25th anniv.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Livin' in 4/4 time

Default Get it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
.. for the record hypertension is a very easily controlled condition....just ask your doctor...but you do have to remember to take your meds....
"For the record"....your statement is incomplete, it is an opinion. There are forms of hypertension that are beyond the reach of modern pharma....that is a FACT
Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM

....Page 5....and counting....
Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
....Page 5....and counting....
One , two , three , four , door , night , moon -- oh wait what were we sayin'

http://soundcloud.com/kevwind
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Hmmmm. I'll throw the BS flag on that study. Have them come down to Venice Beach and I'll get 10,000 people together so they can do a real study. Maybe the 1200 people they used were stressing about narrow-minded bigoted people, who try to legislate individual adult behavior, judging their decision to relax with a completely natural choice instead of guzzling a six-pack daily and fighting with the wife, barmates or strangers. Ask any police officer and see if they can recall a post NFL fight, domestic violence incident or high-speed wrong-way head on collision that involved marijuana vs. alcohol. I have asked dozens and the answer is usually....... nope, no, not a one.

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 08-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 AM

This thread reads like a newsletter from The Church of Self-Righteous Indignation.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:12 PM

I don't care about that article.
Marijuana was approved for both medical and personal
uses in my state of Mass, and I plan to spark-up a joint soon.
I never did it before, because I didn't want to end-up in jail,
but now I am ready.
Brazos BA45
Squier Tele
Squier Strat

<><
Old 08-13-2017, 12:18 PM

There now are only 3 U.S. states and one or two territories where Cannabis is completely illegal. The dominos are falling and the writing is finally on the wall. Grab a brownie, or sucker and watch the remodeling. My mom, in her 80's, has a lot of pain. For years I've offered to shop/provide her with medical marijuana products for the pain via suckers, tincture, oil for her tea/coffee, edibles... she has always declined even though she watched my brother die of cancer only able to keep food down by the use of marijuana due to the side effects of chemo. Last week I took her some CBD salve for her joint (no pun intended) pain. The next day she called me and asked where I purchased this creme. I told her "midway between where you live and where I live (she lives in the hills about a half mile from me). She said "No, I need to know exactly where. I've told some of my friends about it. It made my knees stop burning and they want some too." Friends, the stuff works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legali...._jurisdiction

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....
Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
The escape of drug and alcohol use is a mark of disappointing behavior people seem to happily bring upon themselves and yet, unrepentantly and without knowledge otherwise, make a claim for some good in it. How is that a conduct that can be logically defended? It isn't. It's imagination once again culling the species to those with, and those without common sense, and both sides claiming the latter.
There countless ways to "escape"/defend against unwanted experiences. Some involve psychological maneuvers and positioning that are not easily detected. Some involve use of substances, which is overt and easily detected.

Just as some can utilize psychological escapes and defenses in a way that is life enhancing, some can use mind-altering substances in a way that is life enhancing.

AND, to generalize: most people over-utilize psychological defenses and some people over-utilize ("abuse") substances.

Neither case of over-utilzation has anything to do with "common sense".

"You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot keep Spring from coming."
PABLO NERUDA
Old 08-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Formerly "PastorSteve"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
This thread reads like a newsletter from The Church of Self-Righteous Indignation.
You know, I didn't get that at all. There are a few/handful of the expected responses from those raised (like me) when marijuana was defamed and illegal but I found a refreshing percent, which I believe is well over 50, that looked at the "study" as without much benefit for a variety of reasons.

Kinnaird OM, Martin D-28 1937 Authentic VTS, Martin 000-18, Bourgeois 00 Vintage, Larrivee(s) ......et al... Tried almost everything.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
"or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday."

Here's the entire article from a page over at https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1AP0JS :

"The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

"The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"'Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health,'" said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"'It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public.'"

"Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

"The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005–2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

"For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

"The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

"The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

"There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

"Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

"But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"'Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand,'" she said.

"Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"'Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.

"Reporting by Kate Kelland, editing by Jeremy Gaunt."
PROPAGANDA/FAKE NEWS/FAKE SCIENCE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic