The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
The move, A Face In The Crowd, appears on Turner Classic Movies every once in a while. It's pretty good but be warned - you will not like his character.
Ain't that the truth. I remember watching this for the first time. I was incredibly impressed by Andy's acting. He really was the character and you really did not like him.

A really fine movie starring a really fine actor.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
My favorite episode is the talent search where one of the groups playing on the show was the Kentucky Colonels with Clarence White. He is playing the 34 D-28 currently owned and used by Tony Rice.

Which episode was this? I could only find him on Whoa Mule, and he is not playing the Grail. Clarence is. Also for fans of "The Grail", note that Clarence's old D-28 (the Grail of Tony Rice fame now) already has the enlarged soundhole and non-original add-on bound fretboard, BUT the fretboard has markers, unlike it does nowadays. Anyone know the skinny on this? You can see this clearly on the Whoa Mule video at about 1:37 seconds.

Last edited by kydave; 05-06-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM

The history of Andy's D-18 is really fascinating! I have one of his gospel albums somewhere, haven't seen it in a move or two... My favorite TV performance was a duet with somebody of "Midnight Special" on Matlock. I only saw it once, and it was years ago, but I really dug it. I'm gonna go see if I can find it on Youtube!

What I Got:
Larrivee Mahogany/Spruce Satin Parlor
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)
Old 07-29-2023, 03:08 PM

Default Andy Griffith's Martin D-18

In the Andy Griffith show (Mayberry) He played two Martin D-18 guitars. The refinished D-18 from "A face in the crowd" was the one that had no Martin logo on the headstock and no pickguard but he also played an original finished that had a guard and logo. When he played the D-18 with the guard, they would use flat black tape to cover the Martin logo. On the refinished D-18, you can clearly see the sanding marks on the spruce top.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

The Dillards got me interested in the 5-string banjo and I first saw them on Andy's show

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-29-2023, 07:02 PM

I remember an article about Andy taking his black D-18 to D'Angelico in NYC for repair. A good choice, I think.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

The last question was asked 13 years ago.......not sure they will see your answers

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-29-2023, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

You can pull up the original episodes on Paramount+ and other places:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show...-griffith-show

Here's a clip from YouTube of "Mayberry on Record." It shows as Season 1, Episode 19. Clarence also appears in "Quiet Sam," Season 1, Episode 29.

Last edited by Gromitspapa; 07-29-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:18 PM

A twice undeaded thread from 2008. Previously undeaded in 2009. At any rate, original poster's questions were answered in posts #2, #3, and #5 of this thread. Regarding the second question from 2009 (post #17)--that person most likely will never see the answer here, as already observed.

This is fun. A parody of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start The Fire. We Love Barney Fife.

Last edited by Inyo; 07-30-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:08 PM

Great thread! I was born and raised in Mount Airy NC, Andy's hometown. My aunt went to HS with Andy and it was kind neat to see local places mentioned on the show - Pilot Mountain (Mt. Pilot), Fancy Gap, Snappy Lunch, Bluebird Cafe (which closed when I was young). My dad was a big Stanley Brothers fan and the local radio station, WPAQ, played (and still plays) a lot of old-time and bluegrass music. And, as one of the posters noted, you cannot beat seeing Clarence White as a teenager playing backup on the episode where the recording agent comes to town!
Old 07-30-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
A twice undeaded thread from 2008. Previously undeaded in 2009. At any rate, original poster's questions were answered in posts #2, #3, and #5 of this thread. Regarding the second question from 2009 (post #17)--that person's just not gonna see the answer here, as already observed.

This is fun. A parody of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start The Fire. We Love Barney Fife.

Don't forget "Mayberry Rap"

https://youtu.be/tLQF01-AXVk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion