The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM

bump......
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Bumping this one back up...

I've done a search & been thru all the "Rare" and "Sunbeam" threads, but there seems to be no consensus... and many reports of the Rares being brighter than the Sunbeams, which is the opposite of the DR official descriptions...?

So, can anybody else directly compare the 2? I've recently discovered Sunbeams, and love them. The only thing more I could hope for is even more warmth & fullnes than the Sunbeams already deliver (which is what DR says the Rares have).

I know that I won't "know" until I try them on MY guitar (solid cedar over lam. Hog), and I will, but if the consenus is the Rares are "brighter" or have more "sparkle", I'm definitely not interested.

I remember researching this subject a couple of months ago. Basically here's the consensus....

The Sunbeam plays easily and sounds great (long sustain) and is highly recommended for the general guitarist populace.

The Rare plays even more easily, but doesn't sound as good as Sunbeam. Only recommended for electric guitarists who need to handle acoustics. For those who play stricly acoustics (or very comfortable with acoustics), use Sunbeam instead.

Read these reviews:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_rare_s..._todd_s_review
http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._todd_s_review

A different reviewer but same conclusion:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_rare_s..._tony_s_review
http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._tony_s_review

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

Last edited by revive; 06-15-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm55 View Post
I just did a Rare/Sunbeams comparison, having put a set of Rare on and changing to the Sunbeams within a few hours while the strings were still fresh and the comparisons valid. Sunbeams were still my preference by a considerable margin. It surprises me that round core strings are not more popular than they are.

While on the subject (sort of), can anyone name any other round core strings besides Newtone and Sunbeams?
Just did the same, compared Rares and Sunbeams on my Stonebridge OM, and oh lordy the Sunbeams are dynamite!

While i find the Rares for a lack of a better word 'pleasant' they didn't really grab me, and i noticed a very signficant bass reduction compared to the Elixir PB Nanos that the Stonebridge orginally came with.

The Sunbeams have a rich, deep tone and wonderful playability. The bass has also returned ! To my ear they sound like Elixirs with big projection but play much easier. I always found the Elixirs to be to tight and slippery but liked the tone.

The Sunbeams just answered my need for a rich, bell like tone but with wonderful playability.

Thanks AFG for getting me on the Sunbeams. !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 06-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I'll give the sunbeams a shot, next string change. I started playing again, but only a couple of days a week.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM

I just put Rares on, coming off of Sunbeams.

Going by what I remember the Sunbeams sounding like when new, the rares do sound a little mellower to me... I wouldn't say they are "fatter" (like DR's description), but they do have less of that "phosphor bronze edginess" to them than the Sunbeams.

I'd compare them by saying the Sunbeams are the best PB strings I've ever played, and the Rares are a slightly mellower version of that. Totally personal preference... the Sunbeams have more of the percussive bluegrassy tone, the Rares have more of a mellow strumming/folk tone, I guess.

I'll know in a couple days how the Rares "age."

The guitar is a Walden CG570CE, which seems to be a laminated copy of the Taylor 514CE (Cedar top, mahogany b&s, cutaway).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion