The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-16-2016, 06:53 AM

Default Nice DIY Acoustic Panels

First off, I am not usually one to DIY.. I normally don't have the tools or more importantly the patience to follow through with building projects.

But this project seemed pretty darn easy and well worth the money.
They really look professional and work perfect!

I followed the directions in this video... Amazing video BTW!
https://youtu.be/GBHYiWIJhUA

Here are 2 that I made yesterday.

The materials cost about $25 each. Will be making 2 more today. Everything easily purchased at Home Depot and Joann Fabric stores here in town.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 AM

Looks pretty simple, good video. Curious about how well the DIY version compare to the commerical?
Old 10-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Good job. Sometimes DIY is fun.

I would suggest going thicker. My panel wood frames are 3.75" deep with total thickness 4". Bass traps would be even thicker.

I ordered a bunch of panels from ATS acoustics which are have frame bevels, nice fabric (assorted colors available) and mounting hardware. For example:

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--AT...EN01&kw=1008-D

Here is part of my recording space (4" on the walls and free standing and 2" hung from ceiling:

]

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-16-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:34 AM

I saved a ton of money making broadband absorbers and bass traps for my studio . The bad news is I never ever want to deal with OC 703 & 705 again. I probably took a year off my life dealing with that nasty stuff
Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Wow,derek, that's an impressive area you've got there. Matches the impressive sounds coming from that space!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-16-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I saved a ton of money making broadband absorbers and bass traps for my studio . The bad news is I never ever want to deal with OC 703 & 705 again. I probably took a year off my life dealing with that nasty stuff
Ha! Well .. The Roxul material is a little bit easier to handle, that's for sure.

Finished 2 more this afternoon....I'm looking forward to getting these installed. But just placing them in position has made a huge difference!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 AM

I used Roxul 80 for my traps. 4" for most, 2" on the ceiling cloud panels. IN corners I cut it into triangles for small "superchunks" (space limitations due to windows and doorways). Six 4", two 2" + corners = huge difference in sound in a small room!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Looks like you are making some nice panels. You may also want to consider alternate materials and thicknesses (especially for bass traps); other materials may do a better job at the low frequencies (material that is more dense). ATS Acoustics has a page on their website that lists the effectiveness (absorption) at various frequencies based on material and thicknesses; it also gives relative pricing.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/page--Se...erial--ac.html

That website doesn't seem to show Roxul Safte and Sound, but you can find its acoustical information at:

http://www.roxul.com/files/RX-NA_EN/...heet%20Eng.pdf

I used 4" thickness of Roxul Rockboard 80 for my portable panels. I built (5) panels that are 2' x 5' and one panel that is 2' x 4'. I used door hinges on the panels so I can connect them together and orient than as desired. It's harder to find the Rockboard 80, but I did locate it at a commercial insulation company that also sold to the public.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-03-2020, 11:01 AM

Hi! My problem is with reflections. I read that the reflections should be covered, but I don’t know what type of acoustic panel is available for it. Can somebody help me? I want to buy a panel, but I'm just a beginner.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Hi! My problem is with reflections. I read that the reflections should be covered, but I don’t know what type of acoustic panel is available for it. Can somebody help me? I want to buy a panel, but I'm just a beginner.
You can buy them at various places: ATS Acoustics, GIK Acoustics, Acoustimac etc. The come in various sizes and thicknesses, although thicker (4") is recommended, and "bass traps" (thicker but less dense material) in the corners.

I recently made my own similar to the ones in the video, and although they saved some money over commercially made, not as much as you might expect. If I took the difference in cost vs the time I spent making them, I hardly made minimum wage! DIY materials for a 24x48x4" panel (with OC703 material) was still around $60 each, vs $90 (after all taxes and shipping). I did use a nice fabric from ATS and could have saved $6-7 per panel by using burlap or something.

The cost in the original video is misleading. First, they are only 16" wide, so you would need to make more vs. 24" wide. Second, they use a fill (Safe'n'Sound) that is cheap but does not have the density to dampen sound as well as the proper material. And they are only 3" thick, not 4".

To do it right, you need a denser material that is not available at the local hardware store: Owens Corning 703, or Rockwool Rockboard 40 which you have to order from an insulation supply.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Good job. Sometimes DIY is fun.

I would suggest going thicker. My panel wood frames are 3.75" deep with total thickness 4". Bass traps would be even thicker.

I ordered a bunch of panels from ATS acoustics which are have frame bevels, nice fabric (assorted colors available) and mounting hardware. For example:

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--AT...EN01&kw=1008-D

Here is part of my recording space (4" on the walls and free standing and 2" hung from ceiling:

]

Do you record playing in the office seat we can see in the picture - facing the monitor?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-03-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
Actually, if you research issues with fiberglass, rockwool, and cotton you'll find that cotton is the most likely to result in injury and fiberglass has not been demonstrated to lead to internal injury.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass...rs-review.html

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-03-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Actually, if you research issues with fiberglass, rockwool, and cotton you'll find that cotton is the most likely to result in injury and fiberglass has not been demonstrated to lead to internal injury.
I've used both. The compressed OC703 isn't particularly bad anyway, esp. compared to the fluffy home-insulation stuff. If you're using the 2x4 panels as-is and not cutting, you probably don't even need a mask (tho I did wear one). The batts went right from the package into the frame and got wrapped with fabric straight away. There was very little "shed".

(BTW, this was a resurrected 4-year-old thread, so some of the original posters may not be around any more.)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Might have posted this (or something like it) before. These were made from Rockwool (Roxul) Safe'n'Sound so about 16"x24" and 1x4 framing, except bass traps in corners which were 1x8 framing and double thickness (with about a 1" air gap). And there's a couple double-wide moveable panels, too (one shown). Fabric ends from Walmart, JoAnne. (Still a significant expense.) I used 24 (2 bundles) of the 16x48 batts in all for the room.

P.S. This was done starting in 2017, did the standing panels just to finish off a 4 batts I had left over in 2018. I did not find the rockwool material particularly bothersome to work with. I did use gloves and a paper dust mask (the kind we're all used to right now).

Last edited by keith.rogers; 07-04-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Just saw this was an old thread. There are probably a lot more recent ones.

The main "rule" is don't buy that foam material (being charitable). Get good panels, or to save money, build your own with the right stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD