The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Not an expert here, but Englemann is the softest of the spruces - more like cedar than spruce. In my mind, soft does not sound so good strummed (typically). This bad-boy must have some serious bracing!

BTW... how does one sign up for a UMGF acct??? It is a mystery to me. I have an easyboard acct, but cannot post. Any help on that is certainly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM

If you get a good Collings OM they are pure magic. The Santa Cruz OM/PW is worth looking into at a lesser price than most.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:27 AM

Tough decision - standard OM28V or the JM - one thing I don't know about is the engleman top of the JM under the stress of medium strings - seems like that is not right, based on the general thoughts I haave read on this subject - maybe I should try and locate an OM28V and play it first. Thanks for all the replies here.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 AM

hi

i too am deciding between an OM-28V, OM-28JM and an OM-35.
a guy i've come to know has played both the OM-28V and OM-28JM, and here's what he had to say:

I own a HD28V so I've really become accustomed to the V shaped neck & found myself quite at home on the OM-28V. That's not to say that the Mayer didn't play well because it is superb also. I like the V shaped neck.
The OM-28V sounded like I expected it to. Warm, heaps of bass, delicate but loud treble. Organic but controlled. Even & not at all washy across the strings.
The Mayer is quite surprisingly louder, It has as much bass but it's more focused. The instrument is more alive & the treble sings out rich not sharp. It's definitely a better guitar. $1500 better? I'm not sure. Both guitars would make great fingerpickers or blues guitars. The OM-28JM sounds much better strummed than the OM28V & I think has a definite edge overall tonally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion