The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 PM

Default Fretted A on 6th String Died

Hello,
I have a Takamine, Ovangkol Back and Sides with a Cedar top. I use DR Rare Strings and this guitar has sounded very sweet for many years now. As I was playing earlier tonight, I noticed upon playing a bar A, the bass A just died out. The sustain was just gone. The open A doesn't do this. I did a lot of reading and research and I don't think it's Wolf Tone. I've never had this issue. Now, the strings are about 2 months old, but don't sound bad...the guitar is from somewhere around 1998...could it be a bad fret? Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Franko
Old 08-11-2014, 02:35 AM

I assume you meant the fifth fret of the low E, which plays A. First Check the neck.Necks tend to wrap from age because of the string tension. It is possible the fret may have unseated or came loose.Another possibility there could be a high fret somewhere that's not letting the string contact the fret. Get a straight edge,like a business card and put it over three fret.If it rocks you have a high fret. How often did you play the guitar? Were you bending on that particular fret often. That wears down fret quickly. My recommendation, have a pro look at it. You likely due for a set up given the age of the guitar.

I have a couple of guitar with a not so stellar fret job and one of them has some dead notes.

Last edited by guitar344; 08-11-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM

Put on a new string. If that doesn't do it, check to see if that fret is loose. Nothing like a loose fret to kill a note. Otherwise, there's a hose of other possible issues, many of which you can find on my Buzz Diagnosis pages:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...buzzintro.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair