The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
Caution! Wet Blanket Drop ahead.

When undertaking to learn a DAW it would be better if someone told you ahead of time that it may be a long journey. No instant gratification to be found there.

Here's a thread I started when Reaper first hit me upside of my head-

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=379036

Reaper is inexpensive and full featured so the money investment is small for the potential payback if you can learn to use it well. (I suspect ALL DAWS are like this)

On the other hand, I stopped playing guitar for several months while I struggled to learn enough Reaper to make what I recorded sound "adequate."
I don't have a lot of spare time to devote to either playing or learning s/w so it was one or the other.

I finally was able to put together 14 songs on a CD for my mother for Mother's Day. I could spend another few months grooming those tracks some more but fortunately mothers aren't picky. She probably stuck it on the refrigerator with a magnet next to the grandkids drawings.

Learning a DAW is like learning a new instrument. Or even harder.
But minimal functionality is nice in being able to mix and remix volumes, to correct mistakes, to null out noise between phrasings and so forth.

I got my $60 worth of functionality but I don't enjoy working with a DAW. (I sit at a computer 9 hrs a day already)

Wet blanket drop complete.
100% on the mark.

There are very few DAWs that don't have a huge learning curve, certainly including Reaper. I used to use Mackie TRACKTION and loved it simply for it's ease of use and all functions on one screen. I unfortunately had to discontinue using my free version as I had to change computers.

It was the best DAW in the world, just wacky marketing / support, which was too bad.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:34 PM

The original Zoom H2 is awesome. These can be found used for under $100. you can record directly to WAV or MP3 formats, and the quality is consistent and good. Super easy to use. Then you can upload the file to your PC and use Audacity to edit.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 AM

I've been thinking about doing the same. Doing a lot of online research for the past couple of weeks, the Blue Yeti Pro keeps coming up over and over as one of the best. The MXL USB 009 gets great reviews too. Hmmm...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD