The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2024, 07:15 AM

Default Live sound amplification surprise!

I have a tower system. I have been a fan of them since the original Bose was released. Over the years I have owned 7 PA tower systems. My current one is the EV 30M. And it sounds very good and even using the app it seems easy to get the sound I want. And I tend to be a bit picky about the tone. I have also used a pair of Bose S-1 pros and the QSC 10 powered speakers. Bose T8 mixer and countless DI’s along with a ten band equalizer.

So, here is my story… I was getting my gear ready for a care center gig yesterday (I play this one a lot) and for some unknown reason I decided to take my Fishman Loudbox Artist. I have not even turned this unit on for many months. I bought it for playing at home and just never seem to use it. One of those “what was I thinking” moments. So I was feeling guilty for spending $ on music gear I never use (I must be the ONLY person here that does this, right?).
I set it on a hearth that was 2 feet off the floor in a large high ceiling room.
I set myself 2 feet away and about the same distance in front of the amp, plugged everything in and began warming up. There are no menus, everything is a knob or button. Adjusted the gains on mic and guitar and started to play. After my opening song I reached over and changed the volume and reverb slightly and that was the last time I touched the amp……
Honestly, I felt that the sound was as good as I have ever heard myself (though the bar is set a bit low). And after the gig I asked the audience what they thought (been here many times) and they also thought the sound was as nice as ever.
Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Am I spending $ instead of listening?
No, I am not going to sell everything and get a spare Fishman amp, but I do perhaps need to stop and smell the flowers……
Old 04-04-2024, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Every piece of gear has it's place. I use my Loudbox Artist quite a bit too. It's awesome for a venue that has a house PA. I mix the sound I want onstage with my Artist and then DI out to the house system. That way the room is covered and I keep control of the sound on stage. I used to do this as well when I had my Bose L1c since the Bose didn't have much EQ capability and no effects. Now I'm using a EV30m and a Everse 8 as well and just pick the system I want to use based on the venue size and how noisy it'll be inside. I have 3 gigs this weekend and the Artist will get two of them. Friday is a small distillery where very little volume is needed, but I want the control the Artist allows and Saturday is a medium size and noisy restaurant that has a house PA. I'll be DIing out of the Artist into the house system for that one. Sunday I'm playing a local VFW and need the coverage and bottom end that the EV30m allows.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-04-2024, 07:55 AM

No surprise. I use my Artist for almost everything. If I'm going into a house system I connect to the FOH and use my Artist as my monitor. For larger gigs without a sound person I run my Artist into my two large powered speakers. For small festivals and small outdoor venues I put it on a stand and place it (much more than 2 feet) behind me and in covered pavilions, I've been known to bounce it off the back wall. Nothing surprising to me that you liked your results. I've had many artists following me at a festival come up while I was tearing down, look around while they were getting ready to set up their massive PAs and ask me "you got all that sound from .... that?". I just smile and say... yep.

That is a powerful, high-quality amp that does acoustic as well as anything.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 04-04-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:02 AM

sometimes, less really is more.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-04-2024, 08:15 AM

I have not used the Fishman units. My limited experience with soundhole pickups, the single coil sounds crisper and more like a mic with more hum as you turn up the volume. Humbucker is more like playing a Jazzbox guitar with warmer highs. Try each and choose whichever you prefer.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:58 AM

Little speakers 6"-8" full range speakers can sound very nice in a room. They have wider dispersion usually and their sweet spot is usually in the vocal/guitar range. They may not cut it for a band, or a larger venue, but there's a reason they sell a lot of them. Fishman makes nice equipment. For smaller rooms I am using the Bose S1 Pro+. I have the Bose L1 Pro8 for larger rooms and when I play with the ensemble.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I have a tower system. I have been a fan of them since the original Bose was released. Over the years I have owned 7 PA tower systems. My current one is the EV 30M. And it sounds very good and even using the app it seems easy to get the sound I want. And I tend to be a bit picky about the tone. I have also used a pair of Bose S-1 pros and the QSC 10 powered speakers. Bose T8 mixer and countless DI’s along with a ten band equalizer.

So, here is my story… I was getting my gear ready for a care center gig yesterday (I play this one a lot) and for some unknown reason I decided to take my Fishman Loudbox Artist. I have not even turned this unit on for many months. I bought it for playing at home and just never seem to use it. One of those “what was I thinking” moments. So I was feeling guilty for spending $ on music gear I never use (I must be the ONLY person here that does this, right?).
I set it on a hearth that was 2 feet off the floor in a large high ceiling room.
I set myself 2 feet away and about the same distance in front of the amp, plugged everything in and began warming up. There are no menus, everything is a knob or button. Adjusted the gains on mic and guitar and started to play. After my opening song I reached over and changed the volume and reverb slightly and that was the last time I touched the amp……
Honestly, I felt that the sound was as good as I have ever heard myself (though the bar is set a bit low). And after the gig I asked the audience what they thought (been here many times) and they also thought the sound was as nice as ever.
Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Am I spending $ instead of listening?
No, I am not going to sell everything and get a spare Fishman amp, but I do perhaps need to stop and smell the flowers……
Not necessarily.

I think many of us simply fall victim to "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome. We go down a path of pursuing "better" equipment, when often it's simply reacting to the next shiny object out there. Manufacturer's blurbs are designed to convince us that their product will help us achieve the musical Nirvana we seek, and they invest heavily on what it takes to extract dollars from our pockets.

In your case you simply stepped back and found that your earlier purchase was indeed wise, but you moved on before that really had a chance to sink in.

Chasing windmills is at the heart of consumerism, and I often strain to hold myself back from that "Buy Now" button.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:13 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini

I use my Fishman Loudbox Mini primarily has a pre-amp before sending the DI signal to the board. In fact, I’d never plug directly into the board. The gain is the DI signal strength, volume is my private speaker monitor if I’m not using my in ears monitors. I’ll switch between 2 guitars. One is a GS Mini and the other is full size but a bit boxy sounding. A quick tone change on the Loudbox mini and I’m good to go with either guitar.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:24 PM

I’d imagine you’d be happy sending a mix Di out from your artist straight to you tower speaker.

I use my Loudbox a lot either on its own or out to a powered speaker(s). Feel as though I’ve found my sound with it.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-04-2024, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

With my group, I use a Loudbox Mini, as a stage monitor. I use the DI in back to the mixer, We then use a EV Evolve 50 as our FOH.

I work with three female singers who share one QSC K10 as a monitor. I really like having my LB Mini facing me.

When I do a show just with one of the singers like at a nursing home, etc. I'll jut bring the mini, a guitar and a mic for the singer and it' worked perfectly. Just loud enough.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:11 AM

The Elite Acoustics D6-58 is the same size and room handling capability as the Loudbox Artist, but with enough channels for a duo, battery power, a pole mount, a little more control, and incredibly good sound. That’s what I use for small gigs.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:11 PM

Default Tower vs Amp

I too play the Senior Circuit and mainly use the Bose Compact. The sound is great and I run a small pedal board with a harmonizer and the T1 mixer.
I started off using the AER Compact 60 on a stand and I must say that it provided crystal clear sound and spread the sound throughout the room.
I also own the S1 Pro. When used on a stand with the rest of my gear, it also does an excellent job for about 80% of the senior gigs.
It’s worth noting that the AER and the S1 Pro only weigh about 18lbs which makes for less weight to haul.

Collings 2012 OM1
Collings 2019 0001
Martin 2018 0-18
Eastman E20OM-TC
Enya X3 Pro Mini
Old 04-05-2024, 08:19 PM

Honestly, my first thought after you mentioned how many different amps, etc. you have had over the years, I was thinking, wow, that was a lot of money spent! I get it though! I have spent my share on gear, but I went straight to the good stuff back in 2003-4. I put together a component system of some of the most highly sought after gear, and never looked back. to be fair, it did take many years, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade in twenty years.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

"Scaling" your gear to the venue is a regular thing in touring music so don't feel alone. I know of a particular electric guitar band that uses large Orange amp stacks for auditoriums and festivals and drops back to small Fender combos for small clubs. They also appear to have a midrange backline for larger clubs.

The place where I work has multiple PA rigs of multiple sizes so we can respond with everything from a powered podium to a flown line array.

So congrats on scaling!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-06-2024, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysings View Post
It’s worth noting that the AER and the S1 Pro only weigh about 18lbs which makes for less weight to haul.
Apologies for being That Guy, but it's even better: The S1 Pro is 14.4 pounds and the AER 14.3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification