The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger23 View Post
I say if you can get it, go for it,if not someone eles will anyway

Terrible justification in my opinion and completely false. Like saying, "if I don't drive my car to take my kids to school half a mile away, someone else will".

The more people come to realise the negative ethics of such things as killing an animal purely to fashion a guitar saddle, then hopefully this sort of thing will go out of fashion. It's basic economics.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I'm not a big fan of ivory in musical instruments, either. Living in Alaska as I do, what I've seen is that the surge of interest in legal fossilized ivory has also had the side effect of creating greater interest in illegal "white" ivory, as well. As a result, there's been an increase in illegal poaching of walrus, with the animals being killed strictly for their tusks and the meat left to rot.

However we might want to disassociate our musical instruments from developments out in the "real world," when you choose to equip a guitar with ivory you're making a decision that has its effect on living creatures, many of which are increasingly endangered. It's not a values-neutral decision like choosing to use bone from a cow or a synthetic material like Tusq.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thank you Wade, very well said.

I would never buy any product from Bob Colosi because he continues to sell ivory. Yes his ivory is legal, but I believe his and anyone's trade in ivory just furthers and continues the interest and profits in ivory whether legal or illegal thus adding to this horrible reality...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/15...say/?hpt=hp_t3

The sound of ivory may be best to your ears but please don't close your eyes to achieve a better sound.

Peter
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM

No elephant or walrus ivory.

It is a simple fact that if you use a piece of "legal" elephant or walrus ivory, it will be replaced with a piece of illegal ivory in the supply chain. The use of a single piece creates demand. Do not use elephant or walrus ivory.

Is a slight, if any, difference in tone worth the death of an elephant or walrus?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM

I am ashamed at how long it took me to figure out what exactially,"Mad Rose" ment. Once again getting schooled at AGF.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM

I cant imagine there being much difference between Ivory and Tusq.Certainly not as much difference as changing your strings. If you want a warmer tone try warmer strings.You will get a far more noticeable change in tone between strings then saddles. My Omc-1E has a tusq saddle and I use Martin Sp's for a really nice warm tone. I use Thomastik Spectrums on my OM-28V.Due to the bone saddle on this guitar I find these strings are perfect. I tried them on the Omc-1E and they sounded terrible.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
No elephant or walrus ivory.

It is a simple fact that if you use a piece of "legal" elephant or walrus ivory, it will be replaced with a piece of illegal ivory in the supply chain. The use of a single piece creates demand. Do not use elephant or walrus ivory.

Is a slight, if any, difference in tone worth the death of an elephant or walrus?

I agree wholeheartedly, Bohemian.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion