The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The new ToneDexter

Hi all,
I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to the upcoming product release. We are less than 2 months away from shipping!

Our website has (at last) been updated to reflect the current state of affairs. There are some new videos posted of our beta testers using it in concert. Features and pics are available there as well.

We still have some ToneDexters not yet reserved from our first batch of 100 units. After that, we will make more but if you want it asap, you will want to reserve yours by filling out the form on our site.

We will notify you when it is time to make payment. It'll be a Paypal link that will allow anyone to pay with either a credit card or a paypal account. For this first run, it is limited to USA customers.

If there are questions, I will try and address them. Thanks to all of you who've already expressed interest, and to those we met at NAMM.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 02-07-2017, 10:52 PM

I sent a private message, but I'll repeat myself here: I want one!!! Please add me to the list!

Thank you!
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

I did send an email to be on the list month ago but just to confirm
Old 02-07-2017, 11:53 PM

I think we've asked most of the questions we can think of about the new ToneDexter. You might even have gotten a couple from me.

I'd love to hear some details of the construction. Where are they being made? Are they being assembled by hand or on an assembly line?

For myself, I'm excited to be getting one of the earliest units of a product that I think will be an industry game-changer. Are you doing anything to make this first run unique? How are serial numbers being assigned?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Hi all,
I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to the upcoming product release. We are less than 2 months away from shipping!

Our website has (at last) been updated to reflect the current state of affairs. There are some new videos posted of our beta testers using it in concert. Features and pics are available there as well.

We still have some ToneDexters not yet reserved from our first batch of 100 units. After that, we will make more but if you want it asap, you will want to reserve yours by filling out the form on our site.

We will notify you when it is time to make payment. It'll be a Paypal link that will allow anyone to pay with either a credit card or a paypal account. For this first run, it is limited to USA customers.

If there are questions, I will try and address them. Thanks to all of you who've already expressed interest, and to those we met at NAMM.
Hi James. This product really interests me. While I know the usp is the ability to mic your own guitar (which I love the thought of) how does the software once recorded, differ from the images of the Fishman Aura. The concept is very similar, though Aura does not allow the ability to mic your own guitar of course.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 AM

I'm very interested. What is the price? and is there latency and if there is how much?

Good thinking putting a boost and mute switch on it

Last edited by Woodstock School Of Music; 02-08-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreamer View Post
Hi James. This product really interests me. While I know the usp is the ability to mic your own guitar (which I love the thought of) how does the software once recorded, differ from the images of the Fishman Aura. The concept is very similar, though Aura does not allow the ability to mic your own guitar of course.
The WaveMaps that we create and store are impulse responses. The difference between these and other systems that you might be familiar with is that ours truly fit your instrument like a glove, and are of very high quality. By that I mean they are tight, clear, and focused, with no sense of audio haze between you and your instrument.
James May Engineering
Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I'm very interested. What is the price? and is there latency and if there is how much?

Good thinking putting a boost and mute switch on it
Yeah, very handy when you're playing in an ensemble. The tuner is very good too.

Latency is less than 1ms. I'm going to add that to the features list right now.

Price is $399.
James May Engineering
Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I think we've asked most of the questions we can think of about the new ToneDexter. You might even have gotten a couple from me.

I'd love to hear some details of the construction. Where are they being made? Are they being assembled by hand or on an assembly line?

For myself, I'm excited to be getting one of the earliest units of a product that I think will be an industry game-changer. Are you doing anything to make this first run unique? How are serial numbers being assigned?
We'll assign serial numbers in order. "First Edition" marking is still under study, no promises.

They are assembled in California, at a factory that makes nothing but audio products for a wide range of brands you've heard of.
James May Engineering
Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
The WaveMaps that we create and store are impulse responses. The difference between these and other systems that you might be familiar with is that ours truly fit your instrument like a glove, and are of very high quality. By that I mean they are tight, clear, and focused, with no sense of audio haze between you and your instrument.
I signed up on your website for one. I didn't hear anything in response. Should I have?

Technical question, sorta. Trying to wrap my brain around what you are doing inside the magic box. In the training mode, you have two signals, one from the pickup, one from the external microphone. I would guess that the process is to add waves to the pickup so that the combined result is a wave form more like the microphone sound. I know that's oversimplified, but, logically, that seems to be a reasonable process.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
I signed up on your website for one. I didn't hear anything in response. Should I have?

Technical question, sorta. Trying to wrap my brain around what you are doing inside the magic box. In the training mode, you have two signals, one from the pickup, one from the external microphone. I would guess that the process is to add waves to the pickup so that the combined result is a wave form more like the microphone sound. I know that's oversimplified, but, logically, that seems to be a reasonable process.
There should have been a confirmation email sent that you need to click in order to confirm. If you didn't get that, you're not on the list. You might look in spam folder, etc.

Your understanding is basically correct. We are indeed adding information to the pickup signal that the mic hears, information the pickup signal doesn't have otherwise.
James May Engineering
Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
There should have been a confirmation email sent that you need to click in order to confirm. If you didn't get that, you're not on the list. You might look in spam folder, etc.

Your understanding is basically correct. We are indeed adding information to the pickup signal that the mic hears, information the pickup signal doesn't have otherwise.
I checked again on the web site and when I re-input my information, I got a message that the email was already on file. I'll have to check spam folders on the server. Nothing shows up locally. With that message, however, it seems that I am on the list.

Thanks,

Ben Rushing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification