The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Default LR Baggs Anthem SL or Session VTC

I've narrowed down my next purchase to either LR Baggs Anthem SL or Session VTC pickup.
I know the features of both of them but I still can't decide.

The pros of Session VTC for me are: better feedback resistance, low battery indicator, Dynamic EQ/Saturation.
But the Anthem SL has probably more natural sound as it consist of both, piezo pickup and a mic.

The price is the same.
There aren't many audio demos of the Session VTC, the two examples on LR Baggs soundcloud are really good.
Are there any Session VTC users here, who could share their opinion?

Which one would you get?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I've narrowed down my next purchase to either LR Baggs Anthem SL or Session VTC pickup.
I know the features of both of them but I still can't decide.

The pros of Session VTC for me are: better feedback resistance, low battery indicator, Dynamic EQ/Saturation.
But the Anthem SL has probably more natural sound as it consist of both, piezo pickup and a mic.

The price is the same.
There aren't many audio demos of the Session VTC, the two examples on LR Baggs soundcloud are really good.
Are there any Session VTC users here, who could share their opinion?

Which one would you get?
I think it comes down to what you want from a pickup. The saturation on the VTC is nice but it's never going to be as natural as the Anthem. However, you might like a simple set up like that. Personally, I struggled with the SL. I hated how the mic was set to handle most of the sound. At times I just wanted to dial it back. If I were to do it again, I would get the full Anthem.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think it comes down to what you want from a pickup. The saturation on the VTC is nice but it's never going to be as natural as the Anthem. However, you might like a simple set up like that. Personally, I struggled with the SL. I hated how the mic was set to handle most of the sound. At times I just wanted to dial it back. If I were to do it again, I would get the full Anthem.
The SL was set up the way it was because testing by performers bore out that in the most practical sense and in real life use most Anthem users set the levels of the UST at or near where the SL UST resides. Then the ability to increase or decrease the amount of microphone dialed in or out is all that was left to monkey with.
Obviously, you like the ability to fine tune your amplified signal to suit your ears and that's why you would prefer the Anthem.
Baggs guys told me for the general populace it seems to be overkill.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The SL was set up the way it was because testing by performers bore out that in the most practical sense and in real life use most Anthem users set the levels of the UST at or near where the SL UST resides. Then the ability to increase or decrease the amount of microphone dialed in or out is all that was left to monkey with.
Obviously, you like the ability to fine tune your amplified signal to suit your ears and that's why you would prefer the Anthem.
Baggs guys told me for the general populace it seems to be overkill.
Oh I understand it, I just don't like the tone of the tru-mic enough to like the blend set that high. I wouldn't say I am big on fine tuning, I just think with the SL, they went a bit to the extreme with it. I have been over at the Baggs forum before as well and a lot of the employees that post there, also comment on the fact that the SL tends to have a clearer tone than the full anthem, when the tru-mic on the full anthem is set to the same area as where the sl is. I am not sure if this is the case but I have definitely always heard a hi-fi quality to the sl that I don't fully hear with the full anthem.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
+1 to that - hated the lack of control on the SL.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Default Session VTC - audio demo and short review

I decided to get the Session VTC, got it installed in my guitar and checking it out now.

First impression - very positive, it still has a piezo pickup tone but one of the better sounding ones in my opinion. It's nice to have the battery level indicator - simply press the button and see how many LEDs light up.
The tone control lets you choose between warmer or more brittle sound. Normally I choose the latter but here the mid frequencies are not that offending.
The saturation can be really over the top, in the attached sound clip I turned it down completely otherwise it's almost like a distortion pedal, but used moderately it can be useful in a mix.

In these sound examples there is no EQ, HPF, compression or anything except for a slight touch of reverb. I added it so you can judge the pickup in a more realistic environment, where there always is some kind of reverberation.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I decided to get the Session VTC, got it installed in my guitar and checking it out now.

First impression - very positive, it still has a piezo pickup tone but one of the better sounding ones in my opinion. It's nice to have the battery level indicator - simply press the button and see how many LEDs light up.
The tone control lets you choose between warmer or more brittle sound. Normally I choose the latter but here the mid frequencies are not that offending.
The saturation can be really over the top, in the attached sound clip I turned it down completely otherwise it's almost like a distortion pedal, but used moderately it can be useful in a mix.

In these sound examples there is no EQ, HPF, compression or anything except for a slight touch of reverb. I added it so you can judge the pickup in a more realistic environment, where there always is some kind of reverberation.

Monsum - You still using the Session VTC? I am trying to make the same decision here.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpalereason View Post
Monsum - You still using the Session VTC? I am trying to make the same decision here.
No, I sold the guitar in which the pickup was installed in. There was nothing wrong with the Session VTC but I don't think it's that much different from a regular Baggs Element.
The compression is rather subtle and the saturation is interesting but I didn't find it very useful for strumming which I do most of the time. In terms of sound, between these two I would probably go for the Anthem SL.

Now I have a K&K pure mini in one guitar and a Schatten HFN in the other. Both sound more natural and I learnt how to deal with feedback even when playing along with live drums and other instruments.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 PM

I have the Session VTC in my guitar as well, and I totally agree with you on the saturation. I can play pretty heavy handed sometimes, and it took recording the guitar to really hear just how much it can distort.

It's a little like setting an analog mixer to run really hot. You can absolutely nail it for effect, but for the most part you just want it for those rare moments of string-pounding craziness =D

They also give you lots of level to play with, which is nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification