The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 AM

Thumbs up Rainsong passes first major durability test

One of the dangers of leaving a guitar out on a stand all the time in my house is the presence of four children age 8 or under. Yesterday, I was on the phone when I heard my youngest, Ryan--who is 13 moths old--pounding away on the guitar in my office. He's done so repeatedly since then; I think he likes the way it sounds.

This morning, my older son, Owen, was helping me move all of my school stuff from my office to the car so that I can move into the new school today. (I got a job at a brand-new, state-of-the art high school that's closer to home... gotta love that!) Well, he accidentally dropped my CD player (one of the old, heavy ones from a component stereo system) when he was trying to stack too much in his arms.

The CD player fell, and the corner of it naturally found the top of the guitar sitting nearby on a stand. I expected a nasty scratch at best, and wouldn't have been surprised to see a huge gouge or a crack. Probably would have if it was a wood guitar. To my surprise, however, I couldn't find anything. Not the smallest nick or scratch... it didn't leave any mark at all. In fact, I couldn't even tell where the CD player came in contact with it at all. If I hadn't seen it happen, I'd have to believe that it didn't happen.

Haven't checked the CD player yet to see if it was dented.

Oh, and by the way... the Rainsong still sounds great, too. I will have no qualms at all about using it to perform.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com

Last edited by Jim Tozier; 06-06-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
One of the dangers of leaving a guitar out on a stand all the time in my house is the presence of four children age 8 or under. Yesterday, I was on the phone when I heard my youngest, Ryan--who is 13 moths old--pounding away on the guitar in my office. He's done so repeatedly since then; I think he likes the way it sounds.

This morning, my older son, Owen, was helping me move all of my school stuff from my office to the car os that I can move into the new school today. (I got a job at a brand-new, state-of-the art high school that's closer to home... gotta love that!) Well, he accidentally dropped my CD player (one of the old, heavy ones from a component stereo system) when he was trying to stack too much in his arms.

The CD player fell, and the corner of it naturally found the top of the guitar sitting nearby on a stand. I expected a nasty scratch at best, and wouldn't have been surprised to see a huge gouge or a crack. Probably would have if it was a wood guitar. To my surprise, however, I couldn't find anything. Not the smallest nick or scratch... it didn't leave any mark at all. In fact, I couldn't even tell where the CD player came in contact with it at all. If I hadn't seen it happen, I'd have to believe that it didn't happen.

Haven't checked the CD player yet to see if it was dented.

Oh, and by the way... the Rainsong still sounds great, too. I will have no qualms at all about using it to perform.
thats excellent news about the none damage to your guitar Jim, and even better news about your new job!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats..........
Old 06-06-2007, 08:42 AM

I had a WS1000 Rainsong, and they are indeed durable. However, you still need to be careful with them. They ARE NOT indestructable. I was told this explicitly by the people at Rainsong. I think the lady's name is Diane Carr....There is no doubt that they are more durable than a wooden guitar, no matter how much that wooden guitar may have cost. Yet, a pointed corner of a table, for example, can puncture a hole in them and they cannont be patched or repaired. Cracks cannot be fixed. If the guitar is stepped-on, it's going to break. If a child falls on it, it's going to break. The necks are very strong, but they can break, just like anything else. ....With Rainsongs, reasonable care will likely keep the guitar alive for decades and decades. Longer than reknowned "vintage" Martins and Gibsons.......They handle hot and cold extremes very well (far better than the Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Mossbergs I've owned), BUT, leave one in a closed-up and very hot car and the chemicals that make-up the guitar can have a reaction that damages the finish......I am NOT putting-down Rainsongs. I used mine for many gigs. I played it in the rain, cold, heat, and around a couple of very snowy campfires. I never had a problem with it. "To each his own," as the old adage goes, but I never leave my guitars sitting around on stands, especially if young children are around. The babes are innocent and don't know, but we do know......Good luck with your Rainsong. Nice guitars. Yes, they are durable, IF, we take care of them.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:22 AM

A Rainsong would make a perfect beater if they didn't cost so much Congrats on the job.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
...Yesterday, I was on the phone when I heard my youngest, Ryan--who is 13 moths old--pounding away on the guitar in my office. He's done so repeatedly since then; I think he likes the way it sounds.
That's good news on the guitar, Jim, but not so good on Ryan. Sounds to me like you have a budding drummer on your hands!

cotten
Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 PM

I have a Composite Acoustic, also carbon- and can testify to its durability. I dropped a maglight flashlite-the police type onto my guitar. Feel a good two to three feet onto the soundboard. Couldnt find a signle scrath. It made a terrible noise as it rolled off the top. I have also knocked it over numerous times. I have noticed that that back and sides will scrath more so than the top. Patrick
Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Beater, hardly. You would b surprised by the tone and timbre!

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 PM

please do be careful though.....I do have some very small dings on my ws-1000, granted they probable would have been significant cracks on a wood guitar, but as stated above they are NOT indestructable. I even got a small nick on the finish that I had to get repaired (small repair consisting of leveling down and polishing) but repair nonetheless....well glad to hear you don't have my luck

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGuy View Post
Beater, hardly. You would b surprised by the tone and timbre!
I wasn't putting them down, just saying it would be nice to have something that tough and not affected so much by temp and humidity to take camping and whatnot. Too much to spend just for that. I would like to have one though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber