The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Completely heretical thought... probably get me banned on this forum, but, sigh, I can't help myself...

For a fun dad/son learning experience, assuming you have eclectic musical tastes, consider getting an electric guitar. Your $500 will get you a VERY playable axe (both new and used) and a decent solid state amp.

Why am I suggesting this? Not quality or type of sound, but easiness of starting out. Contrary to what you might think, electrics are much easier to play. The string tension is lighter (you don't bend much on an acoustic), and this is also easier on a beginner's fingers, which makes it easier to practice longer. Bar chords are obtainable within days of practice, not months. An electric's action can be set very low with just a screwdriver and/or allen wrench, which also makes it easier to play up and down the fretboard. (An acoustic's action is usually higher and adjustment is not exactly user-friendly, which is why a good set up is important.) Maintenance of an electric is practically zero. Less risk that the 13 yo will accidentally damage it.

And, at the end of the day, this is all guitar, same six strings tuned the same. Most of what you'll learn in the first year or two is stuff you can easily move over to an acoustic when you want to make the switch. Or when you just want another guitar.

Also, an electric will go better with matching punk haircuts and ripped t-shirts...

Ok, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for that close up of being shot and tossed off the forum...

I totally agree. This is coming from a woman's perspective and I'll admit my hand strength is probably way down the scale from a man's but with all being said, I'd have never stuck it out if I'd first picked up an acoustic. A few years later, I love the versatility of playing both acoustic and electric.

Still, it took me a good while to be able to play barre chords on my electrics.

Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion