The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Default GAS got the best of me

So, I was in the local guitar shop scoping out the Les Pauls as I have always wanted one. Unfortunately, the death of my mother recently left me with a nice sum of money and I was going to get the Les Paul of my dreams. Well, none of the Pauls I tried out worked out for me. So I was kind of bummed and decided to go into the acoustic room and jam a bit. Long story short I left that shop an hour later with a new Gibson Hummingbird acoustic. The minute it hit my hands and that first F chord rang out I was hooked. It was awesome. Today my bandmate and I played together for the first time and she got to use my Taylor 414ce (which is really nice itself) and we sounded great together. Can't wait to start gigging.

Now, my question to you all. I like to play standing. I am used to my Taylor which has a strap endpin on the end of the neck. The hummingbird has no endpin. I have to tie the strap on to the headstock. With it there I have issues with the guitar sliding during playing which is hard to adjust on the fly. Question 1: would having my guitar guy install a strap pin on the neck affect the tone significantly? If so, Question 2: How do I keep the thing from sliding on my shoulder? Anyone have any secrets to share in this regard?

Thanks for listening.

Jason

Video Blog: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...U3-_5Csa_Yo1oS

Gibson Doves In Flight
Gibson J-45 TV
Gibson SJ-200 Custom
Gibson Hummingbird
Taylor 414ce
Martin HD-28
Parkwood 360W
Gibson ES 195
Gibson ES 137
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop
Gibson ES 335
Gibson Les Paul 1976 Deluxe
Gibson SG 1961 Reissue
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Flying V
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM

Installing a strap button will not cause an appreciable difference in tone.

This is the most popular place to install a strap button.

You shouldn't have any problems with the guitar sliding around with this setup.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

congrats on da Gibson!

madhat.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

First off, My condolences to the loss of your Mother.

I dont see how a strap pin installed at the heel would affect the tone at all. I would think there would be more issues with the strap at the peghead.
Have it installed like the pic above, maybe just a little higher where there is a little more meat in the heel.....
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jason,

Congrats on the new Hummingbird! Regarding the strap button, have an experienced technician install one where Jersey's photo shows it installed. It will have no effect on tone.

- Glenn
Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhoese View Post
... Question 1: would having my guitar guy install a strap pin on the neck affect the tone significantly? If so, Question 2: How do I keep the thing from sliding on my shoulder? Anyone have any secrets to share in this regard? ...
The answer to Question 1 is that a strap button installed in the heel of the neck would not affect the tone whatsoever.

As far as Question 2 goes, I have a couple of my acoustics do not have a strap button. With those I use a Planet Waves Quick Release. Martin also has a Headstock Strap Button. However, I prefer the Planet Waves QR.

Last edited by Texican; 11-11-2012 at 07:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion