The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Default Preamp needed when using an amp?

I am researching various pickups for my acoustic guitar. Several models like the K&K Pure Classical have no preamp. How much difference does it make to have a preamp with your pickup if you are plugging into a regular amp anyway?

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 11-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Passive pickups like the K&K mini can sound pretty good plugged-in direct, no preamp, most of the time. Since most is not generally good enough, if you choose a K&K mini, then an outboard preamp is very handy. And a necessity when you run into an amp or mixing board that is too high or low impedance for the K&K to work well (500K-3M ohm or so is ideal, but 10K line inputs and 10M "guitar" inputs are not that uncommon). A pickup with a preamp, such as a Baggs Anthem, is bullet proof and will work all the time.

For my money, I'd put the K&K in the guitar and carry a preamp for when you need it (or want some controls nearby). That way you minimize stuff to come loose in your guitar.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
I am researching various pickups for my acoustic guitar. Several models like the K&K Pure Classical have no preamp. How much difference does it make to have a preamp with your pickup if you are plugging into a regular amp anyway?
That depends. A few factors are:

1) Does the input preamp in the "regular amp":

(i) have an input voltage range in which the output voltage range of the passive pickup fits?

(ii) have an input impedance which is compatible with the output impedances of the passive pickup?

(iii) Accept unbalanced "instrument level" signals?

2) Is the length of the cable between the guitar and the amp not too long?

3) Does that cable have low capacitance?

4) Is there adequate eq available in the signal chain to address eq adjustments when and if they are needed?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I get a little lost around some of the sound engineering terms (impedance, capacitance, etc.) and their implications for natural sound for a plugged in guitar. Most of the time I will be plugging directly into an acoustic guitar amp.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 11-22-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi F&R...

Enough that when I've supplied preamps for guitarists who I am sharing concerts or stages with, afterwards they then went out and bought a preamp.

The K&K Pure mini is a very hot pickup (the output signal is very strong). While it can be made to sound pretty good without a preamp, in my experience they sound better with a preamp.

I noted you listed the Pure Classical. Are you going to install a pickup in a classical guitar (nylon strings)?

If so (or even if not), you can get a decent sound from a K&K without a preamp, so if you go that direction try it without a preamp and if it's not enough adjustment get one.

The undersaddle pickups do need a preamp. In fact they sound pretty gnarly without one.

The McIntire Feather or PUTW (Pick-up the world) both have such light output that they require a preamp just to get the signal loud enough.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-22-2014, 05:22 PM

If I can do a pile on here, I have a kk mini and bags lyric ( on different guitars obviously) into a fishman loud box mini. The sound is good except the midrange, especially the g string, is very thuddy and unbalanced. I think a pre amp can dial down that frequency but don't have a clue what would work. My audience consist of my Labrador retriever so I don't need to put a lot of money into this but I do want something that will work. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2014, 05:30 PM

OK, I decided on an LR Baggs Element for my classical guitar as it includes an active endpin preamp and volume control. I also just ordered a B-Band dual source (UST and internal mic) active system for my 12-string git. Both are relatively stealth installations with no controls on the side of the guitar. Thanks all for the input!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 11-22-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, I decided on an LR Baggs Element for my classical guitar as it includes an active endpin preamp and volume control. I also just ordered a B-Band dual source (UST and internal mic) active system for my 12-string git. Both are relatively stealth installations with no controls on the side of the guitar. Thanks all for the input!
Hope you enjoy them a lot!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification