The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM

With respect. You need to use spaces every once in a while so it's easier to read.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM

REVIEW ADDENDUM! I had posted earlier that the tuner was very accurate. What I just discovered last night is it ONLY works if you are tuned to 440! If you tune to Eb you are screwed, it won't read it. If you use a capo it will read some of the notes, depending on the fret you are capoed on.

Really Fishman? Not having a CHROMATIC tuner is a MAJOR DESIGN FLAW IMHO. LUckily I have a pretty decent tuner on my guitar preamp and one on my TC Helicon Vocalist Live.

The tuner is not a deal killer, my PADI didn't have one, but I just figured the tuner would read sharps & flats. I will still probably keep it because I like everything else about. I would be curious of any other users notice this. Maybe mine's defective?

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
REVIEW ADDENDUM! I had posted earlier that the tuner was very accurate. What I just discovered last night is it ONLY works if you are tuned to 440! If you tune to Eb you are screwed, it won't read it. If you use a capo it will read some of the notes, depending on the fret you are capoed on.

Really Fishman? Not having a CHROMATIC tuner is a MAJOR DESIGN FLAW IMHO. LUckily I have a pretty decent tuner on my guitar preamp and one on my TC Helicon Vocalist Live.

The tuner is not a deal killer, my PADI didn't have one, but I just figured the tuner would read sharps & flats. I will still probably keep it because I like everything else about. I would be curious of any other users notice this. Maybe mine's defective?
I am not surprised at all that the tuner is limited. In my experience, preamps/DI's that come with built in tuners often work for standard tunings and that's it.

One thing that I am glad to see is the notches in the eq knobs seem to be easier to see than the Aura Spectrum DI. I would often struggled on stage with trying to figure out what setting I was on.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:23 PM

The manual says:

"Tuner

Platinum Pro EQ features an integrated digital tuner with selectable tuning modes and reference tuning frequency adjustment. To activate the tuner, press the tuner foot switch: the tuner LED will light and the audio outputs will be muted.

Tune mode: five tuning modes are available: fully-chromatic, ukulele, bass, guitar, violin. When in these modes, the display will indicate string number as well as degree of tune.

Tune ref.: pressing this button changes the reference tuning frequency for situations that do not call for an A note reference of 440Hz."

I would guess that pressing the footswitch repeatedly cycles through the tuning modes, including chromatic.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
The manual says:

"Tuner

Platinum Pro EQ features an integrated digital tuner with selectable tuning modes and reference tuning frequency adjustment. To activate the tuner, press the tuner foot switch: the tuner LED will light and the audio outputs will be muted.

Tune mode: five tuning modes are available: fully-chromatic, ukulele, bass, guitar, violin. When in these modes, the display will indicate string number as well as degree of tune.

Tune ref.: pressing this button changes the reference tuning frequency for situations that do not call for an A note reference of 440Hz."

I would guess that pressing the footswitch repeatedly cycles through the tuning modes, including chromatic.
Hmmm, maybe I was a bit hasty. Thanks! I guess I need to read the manual closer and try and figure out how it changes. Pressing the footswitch repeatedly just seems to turn it back of and on again.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe I was a bit hasty. Thanks! I guess I need to read the manual closer and try and figure out how it changes. Pressing the footswitch repeatedly just seems to turn it back of and on again.
The latest Fishman products seem to have hidden features that users seem to miss. I think it has a lot to do with the manuals being on a CD that comes with the pedal. Not sure if this was the case with the Platinum Pro but my Spectrum DI did not have a paper manual so I never read it. When I finally sat down and put the CD in, I found some cool new features that I had missed.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Yes, knowing all the features of a device, and how to use them, seems like a good idea. Reading, and understanding, the manual is a good place to start. Actually trying, using and experimenting with the features (even if they are features that might be used often) is a good way to reinforce their understanding.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, pressing the footswitch does turn it on and off again. It's the tuning mode button to the right of the display that will scroll through the 5 tuning modes. Yours must be on a different mode than the chromatic mode. Find out and get back to us.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The latest Fishman products seem to have hidden features that users seem to miss. I think it has a lot to do with the manuals being on a CD that comes with the pedal. Not sure if this was the case with the Platinum Pro but my Spectrum DI did not have a paper manual so I never read it. When I finally sat down and put the CD in, I found some cool new features that I had missed.
This did not have a CD, just pretty basic "getting started" manual. I was hoping it may say what frequencies the sweepable mid covered and some other things. I will definitely look for the tuning mode button and get back with everyone.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 PM

OK, feeling pretty stupid now. Found the tuner mode button and it was set to guitar, not chromatic. Works fine. My original review is now accurate again. Carry on.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 AM

I'd like to know how the tuner works in noisy environments if anyone knows. The tuner on my Spectrum DI doesn't work very well if I'm in a noisy club. Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I'd like to know how the tuner works in noisy environments if anyone knows. The tuner on my Spectrum DI doesn't work very well if I'm in a noisy club. Thanks
I'll have a gig Tuesday with the full band, should know then. My clip on intellitouch is useless in a noisy environment. The tuner on my TC Helicon Voice Live and the one built into my Takamine are pretty good.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'll have a gig Tuesday with the full band, should know then. My clip on intellitouch is useless in a noisy environment. The tuner on my TC Helicon Voice Live and the one built into my Takamine are pretty good.
Definitely let us know. The tuner on my Spectrum DI definitely becomes useless on a noisy stage. Oddly enough, my Snark tuner has never given me issues even in a loud environment.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 AM

Had our first gig with the full band last night. I like the Pro EQ platinum, very warm. I don't know if it sounds any better than the BAggs PADI but certainly sounds as good, maybe a bit more headroom and less quacky and there is more gain and it's dead quiet. I also like it having a clip light on the input.

the other features like the tuner, boost and the looks and ergonomics make it a keeper and the PADI has now become my back-up.

I didn't seem to have any problems tuning in the noisy environment, but it wasn't like I was trying to tune while the band was playing.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 12-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Great report! Good to know! This looks great.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification