The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2014, 02:28 PM

I'm back again, it's more and more exiting.

For Briggleman, yes, it seems there are the two wires to the neck, connected to something that seem a pickup. Here a picture:

I also would like to get the history on this guitar, and that's what we (me & AGF) are doing

A simple thing should have been to send S/N to Taylor and have a clear answer: done but the answer was not so clear. Probabily I do not have the right contact. If you have a reference mail you can address me. Are private message possible in AGF? Or I could send you S/N.

For Jseth,
if I catch what TRS>XLR cable is, currently I can't use it, cause my Roland Cube 60 has only "jack" input.
By the way I used till now Cube with my Heritage H575 archtop, clean input. In the other input, it has an "acoustic" effect that sounds nice with 314, while not so good with archtop. Any one has tried this setup?

Hear you for next chapter...
Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 PM

If you get a TRS/Stereo cable, split it off to two channels of a PA and compare the two. If you were handy with a soldering iron a $3 project box and a few 1/4" jacks would be easy enough to assemble
Gibson Firebird non-rev '65
Moll 16" Flat Top prototype/custom
Fender USA Strat Deluxe
Wynn Mandolin
Conklin 5-string Century Bass
Conklin 5-string Fretless Custom
Englehart Acoustic Upright
Coxster Electronics Upright (mine)
Fender Ukulele
Dulcimer, Tenor Banjo, Kantele, Psaltry . . . .
Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Either when the guitar arrived at the dealer or afterwards someone could have decided to add ES-T (body sensor only) electronics to it. The ES-T is normally a 100 and 200 only installation.

Bob
Bob, I have a 114ce and I believe the "ES-T" only has an under-saddle transaducer, no body sensors. Either way, in the latest picture, it shows there's a sensor up by the neck, so that definitely would not be the ES-T.

Roberto, you never disclosed whether you prefer your current version endpin or if you would rather have the the Taylor ES endblock assembly with the battery compartment? If you like it, I wouldn't worry if it sounds good. But I guess I could understand if you were looking for something authentic, that might just be the price of buying used without much research or knowledge.

If it sounds good, just enjoy it!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 AM

Roberto,

I have a friend, who has a friend.... (where is Kevin Bacon when you need him)
Anyway, I can ask him to contact his buddy who works at Taylor's California shop and see if we can get a few more details on this. If you are comfortable with this, send the serial number along with a picture of the label in the guitar showing its model designation to me.

Just PM me with the info.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Bob, I have a 114ce and I believe the "ES-T" only has an under-saddle transaducer, no body sensors. Either way, in the latest picture, it shows there's a sensor up by the neck, so that definitely would not be the ES-T.

Roberto, you never disclosed whether you prefer your current version endpin or if you would rather have the the Taylor ES endblock assembly with the battery compartment? If you like it, I wouldn't worry if it sounds good. But I guess I could understand if you were looking for something authentic, that might just be the price of buying used without much research or knowledge.

If it sounds good, just enjoy it!
Ooopps....

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Sure looks like a retrofit by someone who did not want to do the end block woodworking to use the Taylor battery compartment/end pin jack. There is nothing unusual about a Taylor model special ordered without electronics coming with the standard "ce" label. I have two of them - an 814ce and 714ce ordered without ES (and some other options for standard models). They carry the stock model designation on their labels because they are just iterations of a standard model - not true BTO or full-on customs.

My Taylor BTO says "Custom GS" on the label.

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 04-28-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Sounds like false advertising to me. If I see a 814ce label, it better have electronics or someone is lying to me. I would not trust the 8 (series, type of wood it is made of) or the 1 (well I can count the number of strings) or the 4 (body shape... get my tape measure ready) or the c (visual on the cut-a-way, but who knows) or the e for electronics if its not there.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt

Last edited by briggleman; 04-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Well I, for one, am happy to be able to order some minor changes without going BTO - which can be more expensive (try pricing out 814ce specs as BTO) and takes longer. I got what I wanted...

Anyway... just trying to validate that the OP's guitar may well have been built without factory electronics IF someone ordered it that way and that the label would not reflect the original buyer's choice.

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...

Last edited by GSMC Bob; 04-28-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:31 AM

End of the story...

Through the original italian dealer, where the guitar was bought in beginning 2007, we succeeded in contacting Taylor, submitting them S/N and questions.

Their "official" answer is:

it's a transition model, when we passed from 3V to 9V battery, for some time it has been used an endpinjack with a small board and the battery fixed inside the body, untill new housing on the bottom has been ready. So it seems a "rare bird"...

Well, it sounds happy end
Old 05-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Default It is a "rare bird".

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
End of the story...

Through the original italian dealer, where the guitar was bought in beginning 2007, we succeeded in contacting Taylor, submitting them S/N and questions.

it's a transition model, when we passed from 3V to 9V battery, for some time it has been used an endpinjack with a small board and the battery fixed inside the body, untill new housing on the bottom has been ready. So it seems a "rare bird"...

Indeed, It is a rare bird that you have. +1 for having that kind of guitar. Congratulation !
Old 05-10-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
End of the story...

So, do I get a prize? I was the first to suggest a pre-production model from 3v to 9v.

Glad you know the history. Now, the main thing....... have fun playing it!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 05-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
So, do I get a prize? I was the first to suggest a pre-production model from 3v to 9v.
Glad you know the history. Now, the main thing....... have fun playing it!
Yeah, really, Hall of fame for you
Already started enjoying it, I've some hands ache. And after more than 30 years I'm re-discovering acousting Neil Young: pure pleasure !

Even if it seems he used Martin
Old 11-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Sorry for waking an old thread but here's some additional info.
My 2006 Fall Limited 814ce Madagascar came standard with this, I've seen it on all of em.
In a way I'm happy with it as I do like the metal jack endpin and the two transducers plus the neck element. Still I would have preferred if the battery holder had been glued against the neck block, which is probably just as awkward to change.
The battery and holder have quite a dampening effect on the guitar's back and can buzz with high volume bass notes. Doesn't look like an easy job to move it without doing some dammage.
Taylor offers an upgrade by installing the 9V back compartment but it'll cost.

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 11-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

If you play it amplified much, try using a TRS>XLR cable with it; if it's the older version of the ES, it should sound much better and have a much hotter signal. Basically, it's like the ES is a stereo system and when using a normal guitar cord, you only get half of the true output signal... this is not exactly accurate, but close enough for government work!

The TRS portion of cable has the facility to capture both sides of the signal and send it, in a balanced line-level format, to the XLR (most microphones have this type of connector); when the signal is balanced, you can use a very long cord without losing any signal (or much, anyway)...
At the risk of sounding pedantic (and as someone else has already revived this thread) I feel it is important to remember that although the ES version 1 is a dual (or even triple) source system it is not stereo. The output is balanced which needs both active conductors of a three core connector and cable to work properly.

If you try to run both "sides" of the signal as a stereo source and feed each half into separate channels you are likely to get some very odd phasing issues.

Yes, we can refer to the trs plugs as stereo as they are the same thing as used on stereo headphones etc - and I acknowledge that the comment I quoted from isn't trying to suggest that the system is actually stereo - but I feel we should be careful not to use the wrong terminology in case we inadvertently give the wrong advice!

An interesting experiment would be to split the signal into "left" and "right" using a trs into two ts adapter and put them into separate channels of a digital mixer. Panning them both to centre should kill the signal assuming proper balancing at the source (guitar). Then flipping polarity on one channel should give the same result as using the regular trs to xlr into a single balanced input, ie stronger signal with less noise.

Has anyone tried this? If I can find an adapter at work I might give it a go, fun experiment!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification