The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
Also, I'll add that I had no issues with background noise of any kind with the A2.2 in my Seagull. That said, the slightest amount of soundhole mic dialed in when amplifying via a Bose L1 system would cause uncontrollable feedback. No issues like this with other sound systems where feedback, if any, could be managed. Not sure what you're working with for live sound. With the Bose I ran 100% UST and it sounded pretty good, just not as full as the blend.
Did you use the UST + Microphone combo that B-Band used to have? I am actually interested in the USR + AST which is quite a bit different. I did some research and earlier B-Band pickups did have noise issues which prompted them to redesign the preamps.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM

I have the b-band in a Martin d15 and a larrivee 12 string. It sounds great in both and I get no hiss. There is a sweet spot that you get when you mix the Ast and ust. It is adjustable as well.

I have a k&k in a Martin and much prefer the b-band. I like having a blend and vol knob on the guitar. The k & k needs a preamp and the b band doesn't. All the local musicians around here use b-band. I took a fishman matrix out of my d15 after hearing the Bband live.

I play mine thru a Fishman loud box or Bose L 1 compact.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 11-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Yes, got it, UST + Soundhole mic info offered FWIW.

That's interesting re B-Band history. I lucked out!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
I have the b-band in a Martin d15 and a larrivee 12 string. It sounds great in both and I get no hiss. There is a sweet spot that you get when you mix the Ast and ust. It is adjustable as well.

I have a k&k in a Martin and much prefer the b-band. I like having a blend and vol knob on the guitar. The k & k needs a preamp and the b band doesn't. All the local musicians around here use b-band. I took a fishman matrix out of my d15 after hearing the Bband live.

I play mine thru a Fishman loud box or Bose L 1 compact.
I would say I am down to the B-Band A2.2 XOM or Lr Baggs Anthem. I would still love to one day try a K&K + Lyric set up but that might be for another guitar that I use at smaller venues.

Anyway, I am still a little worried that the A2.2 is made up of basically a UST and SBT. A lot of people feel that a dual source system should have two completely different pickups. I feel as though it might have a very piezo tone.

With that said, I emailed B-Band and it is possible to wire an internal microphone into this set up and have a stereo rig. This might complicate things but it could be cool.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The venue? Do you mean the LR Baggs Venue DI/preamp?

I appreciate the insight though. I am going to give this system a try and see if it works for me.
Oops, I meant the Lyric, sorry 'bout that
Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I would say I am down to the B-Band A2.2 XOM or Lr Baggs Anthem. I would still love to one day try a K&K + Lyric set up but that might be for another guitar that I use at smaller venues.

Anyway, I am still a little worried that the A2.2 is made up of basically a UST and SBT. A lot of people feel that a dual source system should have two completely different pickups. I feel as though it might have a very piezo tone.

With that said, I emailed B-Band and it is possible to wire an internal microphone into this set up and have a stereo rig. This might complicate things but it could be cool.
The UST and AST are completely different pickups, they look similar but sound quite different. That's why they are so effective in a blend system.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
I agree. I have the B-Band Sys 650 with dual pickups (AST/UST) in my Alvarez and it mixes well with no hiss. Someone already pointed out that the combination of an under saddle and soundboard transducer is blendable for a nice sound. I just ordered B-Band's Core 99 dual source preamp with UST and internal mic for my Alvarez 12-string, so count me a B-Band fan.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 11-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The UST and AST are completely different pickups, they look similar but sound quite different. That's why they are so effective in a blend system.
I will have to give it a shot, I just wish B-Band would put a little more effort into providing video demos of this system. Lr Baggs has the same set up with the iMix system and K&K has a system with their K&K pure mini and UST. Some people like them and others think that the two sources are not different enough to compliment one another.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 PM

I am pretty set on trying the Amulet in my Taylor but the Fishman UST in my Larrivee just died on me and I want to give the B-Band A2.2 XOM a shot. However, I can't seem to find this pickup anywhere online. Does anyone know of a dealer who does online shipping and actually has these in stock? A few dealers I have found have the pickup listed but there's either a wait on when it will ship or no indication of whether or not it's in stock.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 PM

The a2.2 is amazing. It is noisier than a Fishman, but they have added a "rib" to the UST that helps a lot. Also the A2.2 preamp is an improvement from their older preamps regarding noise. If you are really concerned with the noise, get the anthem SL. I do think it sounds slightly better (but not by much). I'd hold off on the microphone / K&K idea. That would give a completely different result from the other 2. Ideal for finger style, but less then ideal for everything else IMHO.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 AM

I have the 2.2 XOM in two guitars presently and have had them in others. The later versions don't (for me) have any noise problems. Saddle fit is critical- perfectly flat saddle bottom and slightly rounded edges where the bottom of the saddle and it's sides meet. Bob Colosi is a B Band dealer. guitarsaddles.com. B Band offers a special saddle which i believe is sized for Taylor and Larrivee. Call B Band USA (512) 266-3820 for info on the saddle or installation tips and tricks. They have been very helpful to me. Hope this helps. Harmon
Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenuff View Post
I have the 2.2 XOM in two guitars presently and have had them in others. The later versions don't (for me) have any noise problems. Saddle fit is critical- perfectly flat saddle bottom and slightly rounded edges where the bottom of the saddle and it's sides meet. Bob Colosi is a B Band dealer. guitarsaddles.com. B Band offers a special saddle which i believe is sized for Taylor and Larrivee. Call B Band USA (512) 266-3820 for info on the saddle or installation tips and tricks. They have been very helpful to me. Hope this helps. Harmon
Per above much more sensitive to saddle and string pressure than a Fishman UST for example. Can be a pain to balance string volume if not. It is I think one of the best sounding UST.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-01-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenuff View Post
I actually contacted Bob but he is currently sold out of this pickup. I have heard about the balance issues but was unaware that the edges need to be rounded. I might contact him again to see what he thinks. I have a Fishman Matrix in this guitar currently so I would think that the saddle is flat.

Edit: I can't believe how difficult it is to find this system online! It's either out of stock or not even listed on the websites of dealers that B-Band have listed.

Last edited by Petty1818; 04-01-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM

I just got a pre-owned Cordoba Orchestra Pro that came with a BBand 2.2 installed in it. Granted it is a nylon string guitar so I have no issues with the metallic sounds but so far it's been really great and I also have had no issues with excess noise either. I like it a lot.

Having said that, I have a guitar with a fishman and one with LR Baggs as well as the BBand, however I have an Eastman that came with a Schertler Lydia in it and now that's fantastic. It's probably my favorite with the BBand coming In second.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I actually contacted Bob but he is currently sold out of this pickup. I have heard about the balance issues but was unaware that the edges need to be rounded. I might contact him again to see what he thinks. I have a Fishman Matrix in this guitar currently so I would think that the saddle is flat.

Edit: I can't believe how difficult it is to find this system online! It's either out of stock or not even listed on the websites of dealers that B-Band have listed.
Check Elderly Instruments. They seem to have it in stock. There are also several for sale on Reverb.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification