The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Pathetic. Thanks for warning us about this brand, however.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 AM

I've had the DS-4 since 2011. I bought it new then. It doesn't have the Dean Markley emblem on it and looks like pictures of older ones I've seen, so I don't know if it was a leftover from before DM purchased the company or what. But, it works great. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I use it for monthly gigs for the past three years, haul it around, throw it in my vehicle, and have used it to perform outside. It still works and sounds as good as it did when I bought it. I'm sorry for the problems the OP has experienced. It definitely sounds like there should be no excuse for the experience the OP has gone through. Customer relations certainly need to be in the forefront of American business....
Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

This appears to be an example of a larger fish (Dean Markley) swallowing up a smaller fish (Ultrasound) followed by a failure to develop or service the acquired brand. This behavior has happened often in business.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:38 AM

I have the Ultrasound AG-30 amp purchased while it was still made by "Ultrasound." I'm not planning on replacing it and have had no trouble. It fell out of my car once onto concrete but still works !00%.

I do wish it had a middle control instead of the semi-BS shift control. I use it with a K&K in my Taylor guitar, and a Red-Eye preamp. I think the amp was designed for piezo pickups needing a bass boost. The K&K already has mucho bass and I must turn down the amp's bass to almost off. To sum it up, the amp will continue to gig with me into the indefinite future although the tone controls don't *quite* get me where I want to be.

I must put the amp's vol. at 75% for stage use but it does not distort even full
up.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 01-31-2015, 11:43 PM

Still no replacement

I ask every month or two.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 AM

Was Ultrasound even at NAMM this year?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Well, my very first acoustic amp was an Ultrasound AG30 a few years ago. I didn't like it much and since then I've probably bought or sold about 15 to 20 amps. I just like to try different gear. A lot of them have been very good, probably my favourites have been the Bose L1 Compact, the Jam 150, and the Genz Benz 10T.

But I've been keeping an eye out for an Ultrasound AG15M, just seemed like the perfect feature set for a cheap kick around amp. A month ago I found a new on en eBay and I managed to get it for just under $100 CND shipped to my door in Canada, all the way from Austin.

For what it is, this amp is amazing, the vocals are quite nice and the guitar sounds pretty good as well. The EQ section is far superior to the one on the AG30, that's for sure. I'll probably keep this amp as a backup as I continue my search for the latest and greatest.

I'd recommend this amp very highly.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:35 AM

Wish Ultrasound had one in stock to replace mine that arrived smoking

Bought a 50 and 2 15s. The retailer took the 50 back. One speaker was bad. They resolved that one, but Ultrasound is unable to replace defective amps. Going on almost half a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Well, my very first acoustic amp was an Ultrasound AG30 a few years ago. I didn't like it much and since then I've probably bought or sold about 15 to 20 amps. I just like to try different gear. A lot of them have been very good, probably my favourites have been the Bose L1 Compact, the Jam 150, and the Genz Benz 10T.

But I've been keeping an eye out for an Ultrasound AG15M, just seemed like the perfect feature set for a cheap kick around amp. A month ago I found a new on en eBay and I managed to get it for just under $100 CND shipped to my door in Canada, all the way from Austin.

For what it is, this amp is amazing, the vocals are quite nice and the guitar sounds pretty good as well. The EQ section is far superior to the one on the AG30, that's for sure. I'll probably keep this amp as a backup as I continue my search for the latest and greatest.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post

I've been considering this amp as well (the AG15M). How is the volume level? A few posts back someone said he had to crank the AG30 to 75% to produce stage level volume. I'm wondering if the 15M has enough volume for a small coffee house gig without going through a PA. How loud can it get before distorting?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Didn't Dean Markley just sell UltraSound?
I have not payed much attention
Rick

Last edited by rgregg48; 02-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:49 AM

I Have 1999 model, very few features.
Only one input , no tilt back.
Primitive, but still working!
Rick

Last edited by rgregg48; 02-03-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
I've been considering this amp as well (the AG15M). How is the volume level? A few posts back someone said he had to crank the AG30 to 75% to produce stage level volume. I'm wondering if the 15M has enough volume for a small coffee house gig without going through a PA. How loud can it get before distorting?
Hi sjino…

I use my AG-15-m for small gigs.

I play K&K equipped guitars through a preamp/blender, and never have issues getting more than enough volume for many settings and medium volume stages.

However, for coffee houses I take my AG-50 because it's tough to out-play coffee grinders and steam wands, and in the summer - ice crushers. The dual speakers in the AG-50 make the volume boost substantial.

My AG-15M is every bit as capable as my former AG-30, and since it has two channels, it's more adaptable as well. However playing in a noisy environment might be like trying to pull a semi-trailer with a Volkswagen.

I play and sing through both my AG-15M and AG-50 (DS4).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagilligan View Post
Still no replacement

I ask every month or two.
Still pathetic.

A customer, such as yourself, that receives a new defective amp should not be treated this way.

Last week someone started a post praising Fishman's outstanding customer service. Whoever currently owns the Ultrasound brand name is unfortunately demonstrating the opposite of that with you.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi akagilligan...

So if you were UltraSound, what would you do differently to prevent this?

I would find a reasonably nearby dealer that had an upgrade from his amp, maybe a demo model. Either work out a "loan" or just comp him the difference, if there is any, between a "new" amp and an upgraded used one, and make sure he gets "new" amp warranty coverage.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM

No resolution to my daughter not having an amp.

The company has had the amp almost 1/2 year.

I'm really at a loss here.

They have outsourced a great product, buyer beware.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification