The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 02:57 PM

Reading gbaron's post about her pictures reminded me of the nice photos of mine that I sent to my brother via email. But I get the feeling it's not easy to post photos here. I've posted many pictures to eBay and Craigslist over the years, and it's a snap. Can anyone tell me how to go about it here on AGF?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 PM

I finally heard from Yamaha corporate regarding my questions about the production run of the 50th anniversary model and our serial numbers.

I was told during a phone conversation with a spokesperson in their Buena Park, California, offices that "many" countries, including the U.S., will be getting their own allotment of 180 guitars. The spokesperson threw out Canada, Australia, and countries in Western Europe and Scandinavia as examples of nations that would get the 180 allotment. So counting the U.S., that's at least five countries, times 180, or 900 guitars. One would have to think there would be many more.

He said the last three numbers of our serial numbers indicate the number of our guitar within the overall worldwide production run, which, of course, is unknown to us. Maybe even to Yamaha at this point. So mine is guitar #625. Others here on this thread have been 516, 659, and 713.

I first became aware of this guitar in an Acoustic Guitar magazine ad that said, "With a run of just 180 guitars, this 50th Anniversary re-issue becomes a true collector's edition...."

Well, it's a global marketplace out there now, so I don't think 180 for the U.S. market in the context of possibly a thousand or so more worldwide is going to make this a collector's item, at least not any time soon. A number of them from Japanese sellers have already been on the resale market on eBay in recent weeks.

So I think the ad copy, if not actually misleading, is at least incomplete in that it doesn't fully explain what that 180 means. Of course, it never seemed feasible, to me anyway, that Yamaha would put all this production effort into making just 180. That would not make sense, especially for a mass market company.

But none of this takes away from the fact that this is really a gorgeous and great sounding dreadnought guitar. It's just a matter of putting its limited edition status in context. If Yamaha call sell thousands of them, then good on them. I love my #625.

Last edited by buddyholly713; 05-04-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM

HMH130590 here.
2018 Regal RD40MS
2019 Kentucky KM-606
2022 Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom
Old 05-07-2016, 04:23 PM

trying to get them both in the pic, the '69 (don't judge) and the new beautiful 50th anniversary!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaron View Post
trying to get them both in the pic, the '69 (don't judge) and the new beautiful 50th anniversary!
I prefer the character of the '69. I have a '68 FG-150. It's in great shape compared to others I've seen on the market, but still reminds me of an old pair of blue jeans. Faded, tattered, signs of wear, but comfortable as can be.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 05-08-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive914 View Post
<<<snip>>> Am I the only one that didn't know the spruce top was 2 pieces of wood glued together down the center?

Yes, I don't think that a one piece (not bookmatched) spruce top exist, I could be wrong.

When the one piece of spruce was split and bookmatched, the two pieces looked different... runout?

I know that I will be corrected if I am wrong... but congrats on snagging one of these collectible beauties, you will have no problem selling it.

Congrats to the OP as well.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:13 AM

You have a real beauty there! And a collectible one at that.

Congratulations!

Greg Rappleye
Old 05-08-2016, 05:19 AM

You wonder why they felt duty bound to say production was limited to 180? That whole country explanation is pretty lame. Maybe later they will decide on 180 per state, or 180 per Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.....
Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly713 View Post
But none of this takes away from the fact that this is really a gorgeous and great sounding dreadnought guitar. It's just a matter of putting its limited edition status in context. If Yamaha call sell thousands of them, then good on them. I love my #625.
Thanks for following up on that. xxx guitars is not many, in the grand scheme...
And I totally agree, I love our #581! May take some more detailed pics of just the 50th and post, if there's anything anyone would like to see.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO53 View Post
Any idea what this 50th anniversary model will do to the value or collectability of an original Nippon Gakki Red Label FG-180?
Make them more valuable.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:08 PM

this was a shout out to the original, but they apparently set out to make it the best it could be in a perfect world. having played both side by side? i cannot really express my impression of the difference between the two, in terms of tone, depth, sustain. this is a guitar that i have never heard in person anything come close to. it is deep, rings, sings, and goes on and on... sounds nothing like the original, while the original sounds pretty **** good on its own, this one is in another orbit...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 PM

Default tend to agree

I've played a bunch of acoustic guitars like so many here, and agree I've never heard one like this. Clear, deep, resonant, clean - this with factory strings (guitar is of course factory fresh). Yamaha should take a bow - this is an exceptionally fine instrument at the current street price.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
I've played a bunch of acoustic guitars like so many here, and agree I've never heard one like this. Clear, deep, resonant, clean - this with factory strings (guitar is of course factory fresh). Yamaha should take a bow - this is an exceptionally fine instrument at the current street price.
I don't understand why you feel the need to compare it according to it's price?
Yet again are all we are saying is that it is best at it's price point?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
well no, that's not what i said, i said this is a guitar that i have never heard in person anything else come close to. before we pulled the trigger on this purchase, we went to a guitar center and played everything they had. including the most expensive Martin on the floor. i'm famous for buyers remorse. i have none here. if i could have afforded a guitar 5 times as expensive, i would still not have buyers remorse. like the original, it's an incredible guitar for the price, and more.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Many people feel that the Martin D18 was Yamaha's inspiration for the original FG180. Both with spruce tops, mahogany back/sides, open tuners, bracing design/placement, etc. etc. Recently I was playing my 180-50th for a couple of hours. It was a joy to play and I absolutely fell in love with the sound. Then I reached over and grabbed my 2005 Martin D18V (bought new) for a quick comparison. Now I'm not one to compare things in a negative way. I enjoy and respect my guitars (and my cars) for what they are and for what they do for me. A few years ago I took my 1974 Lotus Europa JPS for a cruise which put a big smile on my face. The Europa is light, low and fast. I later parked the Lotus and got in a $145,000 2007 Porsche GT3RS and took it out for a cruise. The Porsche is a powerful beast that requires both hands on the wheel. You would think the newer Porsche with all that refinement and technology would immediately take away all the enjoyment that the Lotus had given me earlier that same day .........Not. I love them both for what they are. Same with the guitars. The FG180-50 put a smile on my face and I completely enjoyed everything about it. After playing the Yamaha, my first impression of the Martin was that it had a completely different feel (neck) and a completely different sound. At first I was thinking the Yamaha sounded better because the mahogany Martin didn't sound as bright but within a few minutes my opinion changed. It's kind of like if you use an "African Wildlife" comparison; If the FG180-50 is like a pack of Hyena's terrorizing their habitat, then the D18V is the Lion, The King of the Jungle. The D18V has a roar and a sound that was strong, tight and beautifully pleasing. Where the 180-50 is loud, bright and clear. With the Martin costing 3 times as much, it's like comparing a Porsche 911 to a VW R32. Both are fabulous vehicles as with the guitars, both are fabulous instruments in their own right.
1978 Yamaha FG-350W
1978 Yamaha G-231
2016 Yamaha FG-180-50th
1985 Martin HD-2832
2005 Martin D-18V
2015 Martin CEO-7
2020 Martin D-28 sunburst

Last edited by Drive914; 05-09-2016 at 06:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion