The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Default Sometimes, listening is frustrating...

Here lately, I’ve been listening to some really good acoustic/bluegrass/newgrass type of music. But for some reason, listening to it makes me feel like a real hack! It’s all very good, but I am nowhere NEAR that skill level of playing guitar. I know that playing music is supposed to be fun, and it really is fun to play, but man, sometimes I feel so frustrated listening to some stuff. It’s probably having the opposite effect of its intended purpose!

Anyone else ever feel like this?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM

All the time, and when that happens I give myself a good scolding. The best is the enemy of the good---just because we are further down the chops-food-chain doesn't mean we suck and should give up playing out......although it also doesn't give us an excuse to stop trying to improve.

There are many listeners who find that after awhile, even virtuosos playing in the same key and tempo over and over again can get boring. That's where those with lesser picking but better entertaining skills can shine.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM

I think that overall, it makes me want to get better. So, ultimately, the process is a good thing. It makes me want to practice.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Most of the time I'm okay with my snail-like progress. However, I must say I never click on links that say, "Listen to this amazing 9 year old!"
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM

All the time..............
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM

What a coincidence! I just finished watching Monte Montgomery playing "Sara Smile" and remembering him when he hung out at the Antone's and the Rome Inn in Austin with his mom back in the 70's.

If I had only practiced a little longer, a little harder....nah, probably not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FnZ6ZIj4vo

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM

I am in an opposite position. After playing for nearly 30 years I have come to be content and accept where I am at. I can do some fancy licks and runs on the guitar and finger pick well enough for the songs I play.

That doesn't mean I don't want to improve because I do it just that I know there are many many guitar players much better than I and I am alright with it. I really don't find myself envious of how well others can play.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Here lately, I’ve been listening to some really good acoustic/bluegrass/newgrass type of music. But for some reason, listening to it makes me feel like a real hack! It’s all very good, but I am nowhere NEAR that skill level of playing guitar. I know that playing music is supposed to be fun, and it really is fun to play, but man, sometimes I feel so frustrated listening to some stuff. It’s probably having the opposite effect of its intended purpose!

Anyone else ever feel like this?
HA! I thought I was the only one. I can't even listen to music anymore because I get infuriated every time I hear someone better than me, which is probably every other guitarist.

Matter of fact it aggravates me to the point where I hate music. But it's not really the music, but the fact that I waste 11 hours a day at my miserable job when I could be 11 hours bettter at music.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
All the time, and when that happens I give myself a good scolding. The best is the enemy of the good---just because we are further down the chops-food-chain doesn't mean we suck and should give up playing out......although it also doesn't give us an excuse to stop trying to improve.

There are many listeners who find that after awhile, even virtuosos playing in the same key and tempo over and over again can get boring. That's where those with lesser picking but better entertaining skills can shine.

This is why I'm glad I discovered new stuff like Chris Knight. Well new to me. Stuff is not overly complicated but that guy can sure paint a guud pictcher in yer head.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
HA! I thought I was the only one. I can't even listen to music anymore because I get infuriated every time I hear someone better than me, which is probably every other guitarist.

Matter of fact it aggravates me to the point where I hate music. But it's not really the music, but the fact that I waste 11 hours a day at my miserable job when I could be 11 hours bettter at music.

Make music your "job" then. Pack up the blender (and a few other goodies), sell the Samsung 27" CRT TV and the washer/dryer, and load up the Toyota and go for it.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
happiness

It's a mixture for me - I find it both inspiring and daunting when I listen to musicians I enjoy.

One of the things that does make it difficult to listen, sometimes, though, it that I find myself listning for songs I could perhaps play/sing, and trying to work out how I would play each song.

Fliss
Old 05-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK_S View Post
Make music your "job" then. Pack up the blender (and a few other goodies), sell the Samsung 27" CRT TV and the washer/dryer, and load up the Toyota and go for it.
Wish I could, if I make under a certain amount of money the ship sinks, with my wife and kids on it.

Once I get my hit, contact, 5 tour buses, then I'm all over it
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM

I usually find the opposite finding myself saying "I understand the composition" and the vast majority of stuff out there is approachable.

Take Bonnie Raitte for example. Great stuff, but hardly rocket science...
Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

PorkPieGuy is PorkPieGuy's own worse critic.

Many of us would love to listen to you play for hours.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Don't give up until you try. I was really enamoured of Tony Rice's playing, couldn't imagine how he did it. When I actually got around to playing it, I found that it was not crazy difficult because one of his talents is to logically lay out the tune on the fretboard. I have since seen a lot of the same from David Grier. They both avoid a lot of acrobatics and get the music out in the simplest way possible without sacrificing content.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic