The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Default Taylor Electric Pickup Question

I just bought a hog and cedar 1991 Taylor OM 412 off a hock shop on Ebay. Today when I got the guitar out of its case I noticed that there was an endpin jack. When I looked into the sound hole I saw a white 9 volt battery housing and some wires up by the neck pocket. The seller made no mention of electrics and I am curious about what I got. Do you think it is original equipment? It looks and sounds like a nice guitar. Very good condition for its age and I think it will be a keeper. Thanks for your expertise.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Definitely not original equipment. Taylor didn't even switch to 9V until a couple of years ago. Prior to that, it was 3V.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Taylor only started using their own electronics in 2003, and those original Expression Systems used 2 AA batteries. However, the OP's guitar is from 1991, and unless I'm mistaken, back then Taylor was using other people's electronics. Without looking at the guitar, I'm guessing you probably have a Fishman Matrix Natural I, but that's an educated shot in the dark since most Taylor's from the 90's were using Fishman electronics if the electronics were installed at the factory. Those of you who know more about 90's model Taylors, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Guitars
Martin ALternative X
Taylor 914ce-L7 Brazilian Rosewood 1 11/16" nut
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5 Custom Quilted Maple BlueBurst
Taylor 354ce
Martin DC-Aura

Last edited by WilsonMic7; 10-16-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 PM

I took a closer look. On the white plastic battery holder is says, Camillion, or seomething close to that, USA. On top of the battery holder is a fairly thin silver colored rectangle about 1 1/2 inch long by 3/4 inch wide with a cross slotted screw head just off center to the left and up a bit from center line.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Cocobologist

Before the ES, Taylor used Fishman pickups in their -CE models. I'm not sure when they started with Fishman, but the pickup included controls on the side of the guitar.

To know for certain if it is original equipment, give the folks at Taylor customer service a call. They have a record by serial number of what is in the guitar when it leaves the plant...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion