The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 PM

Default Good Books/Resources to Learn Uke

I have a Kala uke and wondered if anyone has suggestions of good books to learn the instrument.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 AM

Honestly, skip the books initially and head to ukuleleunderground.com and learn via their videos and tutorials. IMHO a lot of how to play is missed when you try to learn from a book. As you learm to play, the books will become a good supplement.

Also, they have a lot of tabs available om the forum as well.

Joe
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

The only exposure I have had to ukes was Tiny Tim on TV back in the 60s and the stereotypical Hawaiian strumming one sees occasionally at either Hawaiian-oriented events or TV shows and travelogues. But then, I was in Willie's Vintage Guitars in St. Paul one day and one of the people who works there was playing fingerstyle chord melody on a uke. I was absolutely amazed. For the first time, I became interested in the possibilities of the uke because what this guy was doing was as good as what I have heard on guitar. I don't know where one would go to learn to play like that. Obviously, the ukeunderground site has the theory videos, but this was something else altogether.

Tony
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Ukulele Underground is a great resource. Thanks.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The only exposure I have had to ukes was Tiny Tim on TV back in the 60s and the stereotypical Hawaiian strumming one sees occasionally at either Hawaiian-oriented events or TV shows and travelogues. But then, I was in Willie's Vintage Guitars in St. Paul one day and one of the people who works there was playing fingerstyle chord melody on a uke. I was absolutely amazed. For the first time, I became interested in the possibilities of the uke because what this guy was doing was as good as what I have heard on guitar. I don't know where one would go to learn to play like that. Obviously, the ukeunderground site has the theory videos, but this was something else altogether.

Tony
Tony - Great finger picking on a uke is actually pretty common place. Jake (and Bruce) Shimabukuro, Ledward Kaapana (listen to his version of Killing Me Softly or Love is Blue), Herb Ohta, Jr., Troy Fernandez, Brittni Paiva, Aldrine Guerrero, etc.

However, don't discount traditional Hawaiian music. The strums are much more complex than than you think. Then again, if you aren't from here, you probably wouldn't know as far as traditional Hawaiian music is concerned.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Tony
Tony-

If you play finger style guitar it is an easy transition to fingerstyle Uke.
What makes it such an easy transition is the fact that as long as you're making the correct chord shape every string will work- you can't hit a bad note.

I find the Uke to be a very sweet and melodic instrument especially in Low G tuning. Beatles songs seem to be made for Uke and jamming to blues are a blast. It's a great alternative when you want to take a break from playing guitar but don't want to stop making music.

I have found the uke to be an extremely versatile instrument- do yourself a favor and do some research on quality instruments- Collings and Kinnards are worth the money....there are many others to choose from.

Kevdog
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I have a Kala uke and wondered if anyone has suggestions of good books to learn the instrument.
http://www.scorpexuke.com/songs.html

This guy's website has over a thousand songs by many different artists. Each has diagrams of the chords used in the song for reference and the arrangements are really quite good.

You can use the basic chord progressions and pick out the melody as you learn the songs....the notes are all within the chords.

Uke is a blast.

Kevdog
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

...if you want to accelerate your uke playing i recommend spending as much time as you can learning songs you already know on guitar...use the chord finder on a good uke site to learn the different voiceings and play with melodic lines...soon you'll have a good idea of what works and a solid foundation to work from....as always...put in the hours and the the rewards will come....
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM

If you like fingerpicking Ukulele songs, check out ALL of Gordon Mark's albums. Probably my favorite player.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 AM

When I got into guitar I bought so many books - I figured I'd take a different approach with the ukulele and try and learn by watching youtube videos and figuring things out by ear instead of burying myself under books. The Ukulele Underground videos and tabs are also fun.

Once you think of the ukulele as a guitar that has a capo at 5, you can start figuring a lot of things. And it's really fun to do chord melody on it - there's only 4 strings, so the possibilities seem a lot more manageable than with the guitar.

One day I'd like to play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnUM...VHkig&index=11

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments