The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Emerald carbon guitars. Any owner ?

I am interested in these composite guitars, which are made in Ireland and have a very attractive price. I owned two CA guitars and currently own a Rainsong, therefore I am already a fan of composite guitars.
Does anyone own an Emerald guitar ? Which model?
Can I get some reviews ?

Thanks, Gerardo1000
Old 07-28-2005, 12:24 PM

I just saw the review in Guitar World Acoustic. That where u saw them? Its kind of funny but I thought the one pictured was ugly. Also the price was quite a bit more than a CA or the Rainsong Advance and almost close to the traditional Rainsong. I've got a CA Bluegrass Performer, and love its tone and quality. I've been looking myself at the Rainsong Advanced just because it has the built in pickup. Havent been able to try one yet-I know Elderly's carries them. Flirted with the idea myself of trading the CA for an OM or parlor- just for the smaller size. Proposed it on the Larrivee forum and no takers. Guess this means I should keep it. I def am a fan of the carbon guitars. Patrick
Old 07-28-2005, 01:55 PM

I am a fan of carbon guitars too, and I do own a Rainsong Advanced series, which I bought at Elderly.
I am very happy with the guitar. It is not as loud as the traditional Rainsong but the tone is handsome and the neck is a miracle of playability.
Regarding Emerald guitars, Sam Ash sell them and the middle range model, the Opus, costs xx hundred dollars, which is a competitive price for an all carbon guitar. The reason why I am curious is that there is an Emerald Opus, named X 10, which has the shape of an OM guitar (I love OMs ). That's why I am tempted. In order to get a Rainsong OM or a CA OM (the new X) you have to spend xxxx dollars, while the Opus X10 only costs xxxx.
Hope someone owns this guitar and will post a review. By the way, what did Guitar World say of the tone of the Emerald ?

Gerardo1000

Last edited by cotten; 08-15-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Please see Rule 2 in FAQ. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2005, 03:34 PM

In the current Guitar World Acoustic(Aug/Sept 2005-with Dave Grohl on the cover) they reviewed the Rainsong Advanced A-WS100 and the Emerald Artisan X10(both acoustic electric). According to them the Emerald is an entirely one piece guitar-frets glued dierctly to the neck(25.5 inch scale). Stated had low action which made it a "joy to play".Has Sperzel locking tuners like the CA Bluegrass.According to the review has "smooth sound" with "warm mids", single notes sustain well with "rich overtones". Strummed "sounds compact and tight if a little compressed". In my opinion it has an ugly bridge that reminds me of a Dean, and an awful electric guitar looking headstock.Overall they say is an "outstanding instrument" that plays "beautifully". At the price they quote is about a big bill more than the CA Legacy with electronics and a litle more than that for the Rainsong Advanced. The Rainsong Advanced got a bigger write up. Permag had sound that was "even and well defined" and had a lot of "sustain and meat". Referred to it as a "versatile guitar" suitable for a "wide range of playing styles". I definitely may have to think about trading my CA in for one. Hope this helps. Patrick
Old 07-28-2005, 06:34 PM

Thank you for your summary of the Guitar World Acoustic review on the Artisan.
The Emerald Opus models, according to a reply that I got from the factory guys, is made exactly of the same material and it has exactly the same design, but it has less aesthetic enhancements (like silver bridge pins etc,,,).
I guess therefore that it has the same outstanding playability and the same quality of tone, but it costs only xxxx dollars, incl;uding shipping, from Sam Ash.

Gerardo1000

Last edited by cotten; 08-15-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Patrick,

I read your post on the Larrivee forum. Are you interested in selling your Bluegrass Performer? You can drop me an email at [email protected] regarding the price you are asking for.
Thanks! =)

-Samuel

Custom-order Crowdster Plus (on order)
CA Legacy Aura (sadly departed)
Lakewood D-32 (sadly departed)
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus (sadly departed)
Radial Engineering JDV MK3
Zaolla Cable
Old 07-29-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Not keen...

Mine may be a one off experience but I bought one just before Christmas and it arrived dusty and fingermarked but it cleaned up very well. Unfortunately it buzzed and sounded very odd and eventually I returned it. Alistair at Emerald told me the nut was lifting and they eventually replaced the guitar. The second arrived dusty and fingermarked, with the battery adrift inside the body and a different, less cosmetically pleasing, pre-amp. It played comfortably but I never really got on with it. I sold it on ebay eventually for a very big loss. Within a few days the buyer got back to me saying the pre-amp was faulty. Luckily Emerald took it back to fix it and I've heard nothing since.

In summary Customer Service, Alistair who I think is the owner, is helpful and responsive. Presentation of what is, after all, an expensive guitar, is awful - no manual, no truss rod key, mucky guitars which need a good clean before you want to touch them. Looks are very subjective - love it or hate it. Sound - ditto, quite unusual. Build, in my experience anyway - dodgy.

I hope this helps. As I said it's only my experience and I'm sure they have a lot of happy customers. I wasn't one of them.

Last edited by Selmar; 07-29-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Hi Selmar

Sorry you had a bad experience with your Emerald. This is a concern because, as far as I know, the only way to get this guitar here in the States is by ordering it and having it shipped from Sam Ash... no way to try it, play it and choose the one that "sings" to you. Strangely enough, Elderly in Lansing, who carries both CA and Rainsong, do not sell Emerald.
Which Emerald model did you have ?
Regarding the sound, could you be more detailed ? Does it sounded warm and woody (like a CA) or modern with ringing trebles (like a Rainsong) or the sound was just dull and disappointing ?

Gerardo 1000
Old 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM

Mine was the Artisan X20 and it didn't sing to me. The sound was a little dull but I'm a fingerpicker so I need a very responsive acoustic. Played hard it came to life but it still lacked the shimmer of a good guitar. There was always a bit of Tupperware in the sound - that's maybe unfair but that's how I can best describe it. Played through a PA it was OK, but only OK. Overall it was a disappointment and, in my opinion, it's not a guitar to buy before you try.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Iam going to test the Emerlad Fusion

I read two days ago a review of the Emerald Fusion in the Martin Guitar Forum. The guy who bought it was very satisfied. The Fusion is all composite
(a mix of carbon graphite and other composite materials) and it costs around xxx dollars with electronics. An outstanding low price for a composite guitar.
I ordered one on approval. It will arrive in one week. I will post a review.

Gerardo1000

Last edited by cotten; 08-15-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 AM

Hmm, I'm sorry but that's one ugly bridge.

Taylor 310CE '05
Dean Acoustic Bass Performer CE '04 (Acquired, not purchased)
Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 AM

Gerado1000, we look forward to hearing what you think about your new guitar. However, I need to ask you to review our No Guitar Price Discussion rule, No. 2 in FAQ above. Thanks!

cotten
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 PM

Unhappy

Cotten,

I am sorry that I did mention the price.. it's my fault because I did not read the rules carefully.
I will post a review in a few days after I have received and played the guitar.

gerardo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
Gerado1000, we look forward to hearing what you think about your new guitar. However, I need to ask you to review our No Guitar Price Discussion rule, No. 2 in FAQ above. Thanks!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber