The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2017, 06:22 AM

Default SBT followup - K&K, JJB, BGM Elevation, and?

It's been a while since the K&K, JJB, and BGM Elevation SBT pickups have been available - so can anyone give a short comparison of the differences of the 3 brands, both sonically and basic quality wise? What about other SBT options?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono (9-volt battery power version) or in new Phantom M (phantom power version). Trance Audio
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 AM

Of those you list I've only used K&K and JJB. From my experience they both make good sounding, solidly built pickups. I've had both installed in over 15 instruments for the past 5 to 8 years. There is no reason to spend extra $ on a K&K - the JJB performs as good or better with top notch customer service at less than half the cost. I'm not affiliated with JJB nor do I get anything from them for sharing my experience. I started with K&K before I heard about JJB.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've installed tons of K&Ks and I like them very much. I once had the opportunity to hear a friend's JJB at a gig and it sounded very good. I didn't have a K&K nearby at the time to do an a/b but it sounded enough like the K&K that I would suspect they're very close in tone. I wonder if there are any noticeable differences in gain before feedback & headroom.

I'm also a huge fan of the Trance Audio Amulet M... it's my favorite.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 AM

I admit I am very tempted by the Trance Audio pickups. However, my current needs are being driven by backup work in the church praise band. The two other guitarists are using K&K now. So for the sake of making an easy transition for the sound crew, I feel a need to stay with that, or a similar pickup, hence the question about K&K,JJB, and BGM. My curiosity centers around which of the 3 is hottest, which is warmest or most 'electric' sounding, etc...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I have had several K&K's, a JJB, and the Trance Amulet installed in various guitars over the last several years. I have several preamp/DI's that I use with all my acoustics. Mainly the Red Eye, but also own the K&K XLR.

In my experience the K&K's were very consistent and performed well in all guitars. The JJB sounded good as well but had a much lower output than the K&K. I didn't care for the Amulet and removed it soon after install.

I recently replaced the JJB in my Taylor 910 with a Dazzo and am really impressed with the sound. It sounds as good as the K&K with significantly less EQ. I can leave all the EQ settings flat with the Dazzo and it sounds great. I get a great sound with the K&K also but need to dial in the EQ.

I usually play through a Schertler JAM 150 or straight through the PA. Either setup is easy to get a good sound.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Did you do the install of the Dazzo pickup? I am a little concerned after reading how they can be quite sensitive to placement. I really think that for now the K&K will work out fine. I have a Fishman Aura Spectrum that I plan on running through, both my guitars and Dobro's. So that should help even out the EQ issues. I hope.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Of those you list I've only used K&K and JJB. From my experience they both make good sounding, solidly built pickups. I've had both installed in over 15 instruments for the past 5 to 8 years. There is no reason to spend extra $ on a K&K - the JJB performs as good or better with top notch customer service at less than half the cost. I'm not affiliated with JJB nor do I get anything from them for sharing my experience. I started with K&K before I heard about JJB.
I agree 100% with this. But would note that the K&K is a bit hotter. I know many that use the K&K without an external preamp. I would not think of using a JJB without a preamp. Most of my guitars are equipped with the JJB and go through a Redeye preamp.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Default SBT followup - K&K, JJB, BGM Elevation, and?

K&K sounds good, but if I had it to do over again I would go with the Trance for sure. With the K&K, I felt obligated to wire in a dual channel pre-amp with an internal mic. Alone, the K&K can get a bit muddy. I think they sound much better than UST's, but for discerning player, you might consider one of the active systems. I think I would have been satisfied with the Trance straight in.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-02-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Did you do the install of the Dazzo pickup? I am a little concerned after reading how they can be quite sensitive to placement. I really think that for now the K&K will work out fine. I have a Fishman Aura Spectrum that I plan on running through, both my guitars and Dobro's. So that should help even out the EQ issues. I hope.
Teddy did the install on my guitar. I think you are correct in thinking the install can be a little tricky with the Dazzo. I think that's true of the Amulet as well.

Jay
Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

You can install the Trance Amulets in the recommended initial location and likely get a good amplified tone*. The beauty of the Trance "permanent adhesive" is that it strongly holds the Amulet transducers in place but enables fairly easy removal of the Amulets without leaving a residue on the bridgeplate. This gives a player, who wants to experiment, numerous chances to chase a better tone without damaging the transducers or bridgeplate. If you run out of adhesive in your rainbow quest, Trance will send you more.

*If you want to experiment with placement of the Amulet transducers from the initial recommended location in the quest for the best amplified tone possible while retaining best gain-before-feedback, the sweet-spot for one or both of the transducers will likely be within a 1/16 inch (.062") move in an outward direction along the saddle line, and also within a 1/16 inch (.062") move toward the soundhole from equally straddling the saddle line. My recommendation is to initially install both Amulets about 1/64 inch (.015") to 1/32 inch (.0315") outward along the saddle line and also toward the soundhole from the recommended initial location and leave them there, restring the guitar, tune-up and enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-03-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:07 PM

I've installed several K&Ks, a couple of JJBs and one BGM. The JJB and BGM are lower output. I have found the JJB to be muddy and need a lot more EQ than the K&K (which just need a slight mid-cut). JJB has been much more prone to feedback. The BGM is clearer and brighter than the other two but I had a problem with string balance on the one I installed. Could possibly have been a install issue but it looked fine and none of my others had this issue.

I would like to try the Dazzo with the Mi-Si rechargeable endpin preamp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification